Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regional or National Cold Spell Threads?? (Poll closes at midnight/ Please Vote)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

National is good but can we have an Irish SKI report thread also ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

snaps wrote: »
    Seems the national vote is going for the Dubliners? There is more to Ireland than within the M50.

True, but it's just not as important I'm afraid :)

But seriously, how would voting for a national thread benefit Dubliners ???

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

happy with National as long as posters put their location either in their profile or on the post...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

snaps wrote: »
    Seems the national vote is going for the Dubliners? There is more to Ireland than within the M50.
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I think the regional threads will work well. This is going to be an island wide event. There have been calls for a 'chit chat' thread but that just wont stop the chit chat from happening in the middle of other threads. During the last snow/ice there ended up being an hour long conversation about HR managers and getting off work early etc and also 30+ posts sayin 'Wow' every time there was a flash of lightening in Dublin.

Even with MT's forecast thread things are going a little silly. For months if not years that thread was MT's domain and was repected as that by the long time posters.

It must be remembered that the mods want to enjoy this event as well and dont want (nor should they need to) spend 24 hours a day deleting and moving posts.

There are currently 411 people on the weather forum and you all know that this will double, treble or quadruple in the next 24 hours and chaos will ensue. I read the threads on 15 posts to a page and during the east coasts snow a few weeks ago it was impossible to keep up with the pages and many posts were missed.

It must be realised that boards.ie weather forum is now famous and because of this is a lot busier these days than at anytime in the past and it is just about to get a lot busier. If i asked about Dublin airport situation in a national thread I would either be ignored, get 6 differing answers, get 3 smartass answers or miss the answer altogether. With the regional thread I can nip into leinster and ask and still be able to nip back to the Ulster thread without losing to much of a sense about whats happening IMBY.

A national thread is fine 99% of the time but in this case and future cases like it where literally 1000's of poster could be contributing (in various levels of relevancy) at the same time I think Regional is the way to go. Nothing ventured... nothing gained !!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

My preference would be....

1 National thread (anything and everything)
    1 Forecast thread (strictly moderated)
    1 Charts thread (strictly moderated)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Regional threads during epic events with hundreds of posters - national ones during quiet times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Democracy will win at midnight tonight.

Then new threads will be set up for the 16/12/2010

If National.

I will do the following.

Expert Forecasts/ Model Analysis (Strictly no other posts)

National Cold Spell Thread ( General Chat )

Cold Spell Road/ Transport Issues

Transport issues is a good one, so many people posting about having to travel on such-and-such a road, what are the road conditions like. It will also be useful for the airports, or people wanting to catch a plane or waiting for people to arrive in. I expect mass hysteria in the threads if the airports have to close. A sticky with http://www.transport.ie/feature.aspx?id=46 from http://www.transport.ie is all people need.

Then you just have to eliminate the when will we get snow/I don't have any snow brigade that post every 5 minutes and I think it will work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

irish1967 wrote: »
    If i asked about Dublin airport situation in a national thread I would either be ignored, get 6 differing answers, get 3 smartass answers or miss the answer altogether.

If you were a real regular and were keeping yourself up to date with the discussion, you'd have seen the link thrown out many many times for the Dublin Air Traffiic Control Tower channel on the internet and you'd have been able to hear from the people working in the tower what the situation was with the runway condition... When snow was falling most people on the forum were listening to the control tower from their PC.

http://www.liveatc.net/flisten.php?mount=eidw2

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

Longboard wrote: »

I couldn't agree more.

This sounds like the best suggestion
    just love these boards guy, thanks

• Advertisement

If you were a real regular and were keeping yourself up to date with the discussion, you'd have seen the link thrown out many many times for the Dublin Air Traffiic Control Tower channel on the internet and you'd have been able to hear from the people working in the tower what the situation was with the runway condition... When snow was falling most people on the forum were listening to the control tower from their PC.

http://www.liveatc.net/flisten.php?mount=eidw2

;)
    I have ATC and radar on both my phone and laptop and have had for a long time. But have yet to hear ATC talk of roads round the airport. I do remember the 60+ posts about Air Traffic control and how they clutered up the thread that night. Not sure what the reference to 'real regular' was meant to mean.:confused:

Longboard wrote: »

Yes would be prefect. But moderating them would be a full time job 24/7. Hundreds of posts would end up having to be moved or deleted and given the number of newbies that ask questions it would cause even more confusion when they see their posts moved or deleted.

If it worked it would be idea. Excellent suggestion but extremely had to police in practice i think.:o

irish1967 wrote: »
    I have ATC and radar on both my phone and laptop and have had for a long time. But have yet to hear ATC talk of roads round the airport. I do remember the 60+ posts about Air Traffic control and how they clutered up the thread that night. Not sure what the reference to 'real regular' was meant to mean.:confused:

You specifically said you previously asked about conditions at Dublin Airport. If it's snowing heavily on the runway, and you can establish from listening to Dublin ATC that it is snowing heavily on the runway and they are clearing that snow, well then I think it's fair enough to conclude that it's most likely snowing heavily around the airport as well as in around Swords, Santry, Blanchardstown, etc.

You might have ATC and radar on your phone but a lot of people didn't know that this link was available until I put it up, which was an obvious response I thought to several requests on the thread as to whether Dublin airport was open for arrivals & departures or whether the runway was closed. The thread isn't AA Roadwatch, you might get someone who is aware of road conditions to where you are going, equally you might not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Santander

dav3 wrote: »
    Transport issues is a good one, so many people posting about having to travel on such-and-such a road, what are the road conditions like. It will also be useful for the airports, or people wanting to catch a plane or waiting for people to arrive in. I expect mass hysteria in the threads if the airports have to close. A sticky with http://www.transport.ie/feature.aspx?id=46 from http://www.transport.ie is all people need.

Then you just have to eliminate the when will we get snow/I don't have any snow brigade that post every 5 minutes and I think it will work.

Hi, long time lurker de-lurking for snowmageddon:o
    Agree with above, and perhaps a link to http://aaroadwatch.ie also, as that tends to have decent enough transport info, not just about road conditions but also airports etc. and is updated fairly frequently during weather events.

Maybe it would also be a good idea to have a "Will it snow in........" thread specifically for those who feel the need to ask??

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

If we could go back to a national thread and leave the forecasting to the 'learned ones' please. To much shyte talking going on recently "oh I'm driving here tomorrow,what will it be like, blah, blah, blah....." Cop on ffs! It's good sometime to leave it to the Boardsie's who know what they're talking about and educational also. So please, if we could keep the bullsh1t out and leave the science and forecasting in that would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭chinchin

One National thread please, it's much better having one place to see what is going on all over the place, great to listen in on others having fun when my region is quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Im having trouble keeping up with this thread, never mind having one big thread for the whole country with snowmaggadon on our doorsteps, that hasnt worked in the past.
    I want to know if my area is in risk of heavy snow , not someone down in lucan or co.cork!! These are danergous conditions for travelling and if I have to keep going through all the thread pages to find a post releveant to my area then I would rather log off ,having one big thread is a "Tidy mess".
    Whats the big deal about having seperate threads?
    A National thread is not practical. I knew the mods would succumb to the pressure and create a poll. :(

Pangea wrote: »
    Im having trouble keeping up with this thread, never mind having one big thread for the whole country with snowmaggadon on our doorsteps, that hasnt worked in the past.
    I want to know if my area is in risk of heavy snow , not someone down in lucan or co.cork!! These are danergous conditions for travelling and if I have to keep going through all the thread pages to find a post releveant to my area then I would rather log off ,having one big thread is a "Tidy mess".
    A National thread is not practical. I knew the mods would succumb to the pressure and create a poll. :(

http://www.aaireland.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch.aspx

chinchin wrote: »
    One National thread please, it's much better having one place to see what is going on all over the place, great to listen in on others having fun when my region is quiet.
    So bascially the people that want a national thread feel like they are being left out, and dont want to see an ulster or connacht thread busy with big snowfalls while its quiet in other provinces .
    :rolleyes:
    That doesnt even cover my area,they only ever mention the main road in letterkenny and donegal town. I want to hear it from the posters themselves in local areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sillybird

So bascially the people that want a national thread feel like they are being left out, and dont want to see an ulster or connacht thread busy with big snowfalls while its quiet in other provinces .
    :rolleyes:

That doesnt even cover my area,they only ever mention the main road in letterkenny and donegal town. I want to hear it from the posters themselves in local areas.

Don't worry Pangena I've a feeling we will fair best from this and have the National thread to ourselves :p

Threads should be seperated IMO. Its fairly easy to jump into other threads to see whats going on there besides trawling through 20 pages of what Dublin ATC is saying :rolleyes:

Of course AA roadwatch is a useful resource but it realy doesn't convey what is happening at a local level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

All the different threads have drawbacks just like the old system. Updates are being made in one thread and not another. Some regions may get very little coverage depending on who lives where. For example its only natural that Weathercheck will stay within the Leinster thread for the most part as its where he lives.

Also while I understand that this is serious stuff for some people the main thing lost is the sense of community which made this forum so good. I enjoyed popping in and out of here and that has been lost.

Forums are about interacting with people. The major thread in which anything went had good banter, lots of fun and a great sense of community. That has completely died on its ass since the introduction of the separate threads and the forum feels really sterile.

I don't see the problem as other threads had the more serious updates without all the other stuff.

You mean your annoyed because things are not going to be the way you want? The mods are here to serve what the majority of people using the forum want. It seems so far the majority want things done the old way.

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

opr wrote: »
    All the different threads have drawbacks just like the old system. Updates are being made in one thread and not another. Some regions may get very little coverage depending on who lives where. For example its only natural that Weathercheck will stay within the Leinster thread for the most part as its where he lives.

Also while I understand that this is serious stuff for some people the main thing lost is the sense of community which made this forum so good. I enjoyed popping in and out of here and that has been lost.

Forums are about interacting with people. The major thread in which anything went had good banter, lots of fun and a great sense of community. That has completely died on its ass since the introduction of the separate threads and the forum feels really sterile.

I don't see the problem as other threads had the more serious updates without all the other stuff.

You mean your annoyed because things are not going to be the way you want? The mods are here to serve what the majority of people using the forum want. It seems so far the majority want things done the old way.

Opr

Thats exactly what happens with one thread, theres hundreds and hundreds of generic posts saying 'its snowing', 'will it snow' or 'will the roads be ok'. Most of the regulars dont bother posting as the thread just gets totally out of hand and impossible to have a conversation with someone. With the regional threads that shouldnt be such a problem

opr wrote: »

Opr
    You mean your annoyed because things are not going the way you want. We are all here to vote on what we want. Thats what a poll is and we are here to give an opinion on what way we want the threads handled. Just because the majority want it run one way doesnt mean it is entirely the best decision.

Updates to the weather charts are posted in the national charts thread, seems pretty straight forward to me.
    Thats good that weathercheck will stay in his leinster thread, if he has any comments about the scenario in any other province he can come to our thread and chat.

I have said already that one big thread is a mess, its impossible to keep up with all the posts, for e.g. during last cold spell one page of the thread was filled up within two minutes , yes two minutes!!
    If you are here for the fun and banter then fair enough one big thread is what you want, if you are here to actually hear about the weather and its relevance to your location then a provincal thread is best. This is a weather forum after all, if you want banter go to the humour section.
    P.S is there actually anyone from Ulster or connacht that wants one big thread? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Keep voting, getting closer now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I don't know how many times it has been pointed out if you don't want to see the will it snow posts use the the other thread!

I am not going to continue to argue because as Weathercheck says Democracy will win at midnight tonight.

Opr

Yes looks like Regional threads are gona be locked at midnight, thats if the mods act with the poll result.
    Ah well back to the same old.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Is there actually anyone from Ulster or connacht that wants one big thread? D

Very few I suspect, but it looks like we're going to be outvoted by the more heavily populated areas up the country, because a national thread seems fine to them, but for us once snowmageddon goes nationwide we might as well not exist as the more populous areas will take over the thread. This is the point at which the forum becomes useless to me. At this stage we'll probably have to go back to a national thread for now, but if it turns like last time and we can't set up a W/NW/N thread unfortuantely I'll have to resort to looking out the window to forecast the weather. :(:(

Its a pity the regional threads couldn't have been given a few days to settle in before we voted on all this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Is there any way to make only certain people post in the model discussion thread? Because there are so many "I've got one small question" comments. And then all of a sudden there's a big discussion not related to the models.

Or if moderators can stay on for 24 hours a day 7 days a week you could be as strict as Netweather are and delete every comment that isn't fully discussing the models/ making forecasts. And they are VERY strict, but it works and it maks life a hell of a lot easier.

Just throwing out a few ideas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

I like two threads, one serious, one chitchat. The chit Chat entertains me while I wait for the well informed to post on the models thread. So long as that thread is strictly kept to models/forecasts and not 'will it snow' / 'should I travel from x to y' then it's all good. And provided those posts in that thread are ignored/deleted then everyone has a resource bank and somewhere to let off steam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

True democracy over this matter, would need to ensure equality and freedom of choice.

As in, keeping regional threads open as well as a national thread - that way posters would have the freedom to choose which thread to visit or to post in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement