Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC broadband upgrade plan 2011

• 15-12-2010 4:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

''The new broadband products, which are being made available on UPC’s Fibre Power network, include

100Mbps service for €80 a month,
    30Mbps service for €42 a month
    20Mbps service for €34 a month
    10Mbps service for €25 per month.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/19660-upc-to-launch-20mbps

I guess they should of announced this before the price hike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Simi

That announcement is totally at odds with the price increase notice on their site though. http://www.upc.ie/about_us/pricenotice/

If the new 10Mb service is going to be priced at €25 then what is the 8Mb service going to become, if its price is raised to €34?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Simi wrote: »
    That announcement is totally at odds with the price increase notice on their sight though. http://www.upc.ie/about_us/pricenotice/

If the new 10Mb service is going to be priced at €25 then what is the 8Mb service going to become, if its price is raised to €34?

huh, there bumping people up to 10Mb from 8Mb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

huh, there bumping people up to 10Mb from 8Mb

Yeh but the 8mb is actually going up to €32 euro and I was told that was the lowest one.
    So I'm confused about this this one to. Il have to ring them and tell then to put me on the 10mb now (o:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

Yeh but the 8mb is actually going up to €32 euro and I was told that was the lowest one.
    So I'm confused about this this one to. Il have to ring them and tell then to put me on the 10mb now (o:
    Im getting 15mb this saturday and come 4 janurary it going up to 20mb do you have to ring them to upgrade it or do they do it for you?I be paying 34 euro for 15mb do you pay the 10 euro for speed increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭bestie

i think you are getting yourself confused

it's 25 euro for 8 mb which is rising to 10 mb - no prices increase

the 15mb for 32 eur is rising to 20mb for 34 euro (2 euro increase)

the 30mb for 42 euro is staying the same

and then of course 80 euro for 100mb

edit : hmm just seen those new prices changes

i thought everyone who was on 5mb got automatically upgraded to 8mb with the last upgrade

gosh its a mess, 20 euro a month for 1mb? 32 for 8mb? kinda pricey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Nollog

rob808 wrote: »
    Im getting 15mb this saturday and come 4 janurary it going up to 20mb do you have to ring them to upgrade it or do they do it for you?I be paying 34 euro for 15mb do you pay the 10 euro for speed increase.

As far as I know, they only charge you to downgrade.

Any word on upload speed changes?
    Personally I'd prefer that to increase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I just applied for the 30meg yesterday and it's 45 quid.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

There's a couple of threads going on these new speeds/price increases but I think this is the most appropriate to post on.

I have the 15MB and full phone package so wanted to confirm a lot of what has been (rightly) assumed in various posts these past week so phoned UPC.

15Mb lines are automatically being upgraded to 20Mb on Jan 4th.:)
    Price increase for my package is €2.:(
    AUP for 20Mb B/Band is 250gig/month:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

slave1 wrote: »
    AUP for 20Mb B/Band is 250gig/month:(
    AUP for 8mb eircom NGN is as low as 10GB a month and that costs €20 a month or a tad less in a bundle:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 cabrales

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    AUP for 8mb eircom NGN is as low as 10GB a month and that costs €20 a month or a tad less in a bundle:(

Not sure if it is the same, but the 8Mb Fibrepower package is advertised in their website with an AUP of 120GB.

I'm just disappointed that the likes of me on the 30Mb are not getting an upgrade. With the new 20Mb at €34 it makes wonder whether downgrading and saving circa €100 a year is a better option (more if they increase the 30Mb to €45 as somebody in this thread says is happening).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

TBH - above 20Mbps is all I need for download.
    I've adjusted myself to the 250GB AUP nicely.

However,
    4Mbps upload for €45 would be really nice.
    Unlike a lot of folks - I focus more on upload, and at €15 per Mbps on the 30/3 package - the 7Mbps of the 100/7 package for €80 seemed good value.
    But €3 for an extra 1Mbps would be so much nicer - cutting my upload times by a 1/3rd!

Hope we do get the 40/4 package.
    However - would really prefer to be able to get the 7Mbps upload for an extra €10/15 a month and leave the download alone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

DemoniK wrote: »
    Hope we do get the 40/4 package.
    However - would really prefer to be able to get the 7Mbps upload for an extra €10/15 a month and leave the download alone...
    afaik, i seem to remember the last time i checked all of UPC's other territories with the 100/120mbps upgrades that they introduced a 50/5 or a 60/5 (or maybe 60/6) package around the €40-50 mark. that is what i was expecting and i'll be surprised if they don't do that once the 100mbps is rolled out nationally.

bestie wrote: »
    i thought everyone who was on 5mb got automatically upgraded to 8mb with the last upgrade

gosh its a mess, 20 euro a month for 1mb? 32 for 8mb? kinda pricey

I'm really confused about this, I'm on 8 meg at the moment, what's happening to me so? Is there really going to be just a €2 difference for double the speed?

My cousin is on 5 meg and wasn't upgraded, the 8 meg is €2 extra per month so was opt-in only.

The UPC official site and SiliconRepublic have conflicting price/packages?

Whos right?

The UPC official siteand SiliconRepublic conflicting price/packages?

I dont know who to believe...

They're certainly doing something with the packages because the official notice says that the service name will also change with the price increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

I'm still only getting 15MB download speed, do you have to contact them to get the 20MB upgrade? In the past, there was a electronic form we had to fill in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

ADSLUSER wrote: »
    I'm still only getting 15MB download speed, do you have to contact them to get the 20MB upgrade? In the past, there was a electronic form we had to fill in.

Just reboot the modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

that did the trick! THx

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Daithi07

I've been getting 2mb instead of 15mb and a ping of 250ms instead of 50ms for the last 3 weeks consistently. I've rebooted loads of times. Whats the story there. Help appreciated please. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I ws on 15mb and just ran a test

1097513000.png

So all it good... Upload little slow tho

Hers is tonights result 1098756048.png
    GRRRRRR

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Daithi07 wrote: »
    Hers is tonights result
    GRRRRRR
    I thought there was some peering issue with the Limerick server that mean that requests were going out to New York and back or something?

Tried Dublin server and looks much better! Thanks. Now i need a faster laptop i think!!

1098799607.png

Jonathan wrote: »
    I thought there was some peering issue with the Limerick server that mean that requests were going out to New York and back or something?

There's certainly something fishy with the Limerick server alright:

1098800545.png

1098801381.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭kk887

I am on 15 mb and just ran a test from the Manchester server
    1098924073.png

and than dublin server
    1098928285.png

Norway
    1098945321.png

and finally my home cork city
    1098946139.png

:confused::confused::confused:

Manchester again
    1098950913.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭inigo

Just received the following text from UPC-Billing:

"UPC has increased your broadband speed from 5MB to 8MB. Unplug your modem from the power supply, plug it back in and you'll have even faster broadband. Enjoy."

We'll see how much faster if at all. I hope they don't charge me extra 'cause nobody asked me if I wanted to change my "5MB" (more 500k) connection...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

inigo wrote: »

"UPC has increased your broadband speed from 5MB to 8MB. Unplug your modem from the power supply, plug it back in and you'll have even faster broadband. Enjoy."

We'll see how much faster if at all. I hope they don't charge me extra 'cause nobody asked me if I wanted to change my "5MB" (more 500k) connection...
    Can anybody confirm what the price will be?

inigo wrote: »

They increased the former 5 meg package to €23 per month, I think it was €22 previously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

kk887 wrote: »
    I am on 15 mb and just ran a test from the Manchester server
    1098924073.png
    i think you might be getting some erroneous results there. :)

what happens if you try and ftp a linux iso from heanet or something like that?

try this and see what speed you get: ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/stable/10/linuxmint-10-gnome-cd-i386.iso

Advertisement