Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC broadband upgrade plan 2011

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

On 15MB, have been getting 20MB lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Karsini wrote: »
    They increased the former 5 meg package to €23 per month, I think it was €22 previously.
    Called them today, they said it's free upgrade so it will be €23 euro if you have been upgraded from 5 to 8 Mbit. FORGOT to ask if they usage cap was increased to 120GB as well. I assume it has.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Bit of a gap between there 30mb and 100mb packages. You would have thought they would have a 60mb service like other UPC countries coming somewhere between €42 - €80. At least I might have been tempted to upgrade then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

LoGiE wrote: »
    Bit of a gap between there 30mb and 100mb packages. You would have thought they would have a 60mb service like other UPC countries coming somewhere between €42 - €80. At least I might have been tempted to upgrade then!

Rumor is that they will have a 60mb package at the end of January, Not sure if that is going to happen, I think they will wait until more people can get 100mb before upgrading to 60mb, Seeing as DOCSIS 2.0 is only capable of 50mb in theroy, So not sure how they can do 60mb!! But who knows!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Thor wrote: »
    Rumor is that they will have a 60mb package at the end of January, Not sure if that is going to happen, I think they will wait until more people can get 100mb before upgrading to 60mb, Seeing as DOCSIS 2.0 is only capable of 50mb in theroy, So not sure how they can do 60mb!! But who knows!!
    yeah, 60mbps doesn't make any sense to me either, it *should* be much more economical for them to do 50mbps as they could provision existing modems at that speed with no physical upgrades required.

not that i'd sniff at a 60mbps upgrade if they offered, but i wouldn't be paying the €70 or €80 installation fee the that the 100 meggers had to pay to get their freak on if they do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

vibe666 wrote: »
    yeah, 60mbps doesn't make any sense to me either, it *should* be much more economical for them to do 50mbps as they could provision existing modems at that speed with no physical upgrades required.

not that i'd sniff at a 60mbps upgrade if they offered, but i wouldn't be paying the €70 or €80 installation fee the that the 100 meggers had to pay to get their freak on if they do.

You meant the greyed out one in the smaller print?:D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

vibe666 wrote: »

No, 50mbps is the max for all shared users on DOCSIS 1/2. There is no way anyone would actually get 50mbps on DOCSIS 1/2 outside a lab. If they did this it would be nothing but marketing and I think it would lead to lots of complaints and bad blood when almost no one ends up with speeds much faster then 30mbps.

You really have to go DOCSIS 3 when you want to go over 30mbps. Frankly 30mbps on DOCSIS 1/2 is even pushing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Was on the 15mb package but now seem to be running at 20mb, which is nice :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I'm on a 15mb student package, will check to see if ive been upgraded but pretty sure it won't be! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22 gvzAxle

It would be nice if they updated their Network Improvements section to show where UPC is available, and the soon to be added areas. I'm in Dun Laoghaire and it currently says their services will be available here by the end of 2010 but still no sign :(

• Advertisement

i lived in 2 apartments in dublin and NTL was always 'imminent' in my area but both places only got it as i was due to move out and i actually had to move to navan to get it in the end :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ConorHughes

Thor wrote: »

Where are you getting this info about the 60mb package?

Where are you getting this info about the 60mb package?
    its been mentioned on here a couple of times now via people who know people in UPC and i've heard it 2nd hand from a friend who was told by the engineer who installed his 30mbps.

additionally, if you look at all the other UPC territories with 100-120mbps packages, they all have at least one package between 30mbps and their top one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭cianr

gvzAxle wrote: »
    It would be nice if they updated their Network Improvements section to show where UPC is available, and the soon to be added areas. I'm in Dun Laoghaire and it currently says their services will be available here by the end of 2010 but still no sign :(

I'm in a similar situation up the road in Sandycove. Was told that it would definitely be available here by the end of 2010. I'm not going to wait much longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

cianr wrote: »
    I'm in a similar situation up the road in Sandycove. Was told that it would definitely be available here by the end of 2010. I'm not going to wait much longer.
    I'm in Sandycove and I have upc 30MB:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Rebel021 wrote: »
    I'm in Sandycove and I have upc 30MB:confused:
    It can depend on what side of the road you're on. On my side of may road, I can have TV and broadband (30mb), on the other side of my road, they can have all three (TV, broadband, and phone). I haven't been in touch with UPC about the 100mb package, but I'd almost be willing to bet that I can't have it yet, but the neighbours on the other side of the road can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Johnmb wrote: »
    It can depend on what side of the road you're on. On my side of may road, I can have TV and broadband (30mb), on the other side of my road, they can have all three (TV, broadband, and phone). I haven't been in touch with UPC about the 100mb package, but I'd almost be willing to bet that I can't have it yet, but the neighbours on the other side of the road can.
    That sucks

Advertisement