Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

400w enough for this upgrade?

Options
  • 15-12-2010 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

quick question on my power supply.

have an ocz 400w power supply. does the job, never given me a problem.

my current specs are

core i3 530 @ 3.4ghz + stock fan
    4gb ram
    hd5770 (overclocked when i game)
    2 harddrives,
    1 dvd drive
    1 fan

everything runs perfectly.

however, im upgrading a slight bit to

core i5 750 (will probably over clock it to 3.8 - 4.0ghz
    corsair h50 water cooler.
    adding 4gb of ram more.
    and keeping the hd 5770 overclocked when gaming.
    also adding 2 80mm fans.

ill probably remove the dvd drive.

will the 400w power supply cut it?

ill probably upgrade in the new year, but for now, i cant afford it.

any thoughts / suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

What model OCZ PSU is that ?

Even if its one of the better models (which are average at best) You'd be pushing it with that big of an overclock on a quad, plus the overclock on the 5770. I'd upgrade to be safe, something around the 500W-550W would do you fine

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

You're only getting away with your current PSU because of that thrifty dualie and a fairly thrifty GPU to boot. You might have scraped by with the i5 at stock if that was a very good PSU, but running a big OC it'll be drawing 2-3 times as much juice as the slightly-OCd dualie :o You'll need a decent 500-550W PSU for sure then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

grand so lads. ill order myself a 600 - 700w after xmas, and for now ill leave it all on stock and see if it runs. if not, i can stick the i3 back in for a while longer.

cheers!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I doubt you'll need a 600W+ unless you intend on upgrading the HD5770... and given the i3 already has an OC on it an i5 quad should be okay at stock :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Solitaire wrote: »
    I doubt you'll need a 600W+ unless you intend on upgrading the HD5770... and given the i3 already has an OC on it an i5 quad should be okay at stock :)

given that he's planning to upgrade outright over-all in the new year, maybe a 600-700W is just thinking ahead ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

indeed. i will eventually be trading up my 5770 so i might aswell put a few extra euro in now rather than running into the same problem down the line.

oh, and on another note,

the corsair h50 DOES NOT FIT into an aerocool m40 matx case :p

however, i will be creating a worklog in the modding section as i started modding the case to fit it tonight :D

all going well it should be finished next week.

Advertisement