Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travel Camera

• 15-12-2010 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi all,

Im looking for a bit of advise. Im heading around the world in a few months time and Im looking for a camera to take with me.

At the moment I have the usual didital camera that comes out with me on nights out and gets thrown around my bag.

Im looking for something a bit more sophisticated but at the same time Iv no idea what that is exactly!! Iv a budget of €600 appx and I want something thats takes beautiful pictures & is not that complex to use!

Recommendations?!
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

A camera alone doesn't take beautiful photos.

Another consideration when traveling is size and weight. You don't want to be lugging this about:
    http://media.the-digital-picture.com/Images/Other/Lowepro-Photo-Trekker-AW-II-Backpack.jpg

Small pocket cameras have severe limitations in terms of shutter lag (sluggish responsiveness) and noise (fuzzy images).

What you need is probably a bridge camera. These try to offer a best of both worlds feature set.

The Olympus E-PL1 might be worth considering but it's getting mixed reviews with the autofocus apparently quite slow.

Another option is to simply use disposable cameras and post them home for processing.
    That way you eliminate the need for battery charging, fear of theft etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

5uspect wrote: »
    A camera alone doesn't take beautiful photos.

Another consideration when traveling is size and weight. You don't want to be lugging this about:
    http://media.the-digital-picture.com/Images/Other/Lowepro-Photo-Trekker-AW-II-Backpack.jpg

Actually, that looks very like what I take on holidays with me. :eek: What's wrong with it?

Mind you, the value of gear would be well above the OPs budget. :cool:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Paulw wrote: »
    Actually, that looks very like what I take on holidays with me. :eek: What's wrong with it?

Mind you, the value of gear would be well above the OPs budget. :cool:

Nothing, I carry the much the same amount of gear myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

If I had that much to spend I'd prob try get my hands on a second hand DSLR. You could get the likes of a Sony Alpha A100 or A200 with some nice accessories for less than you budget. They're both entry level dslr's and very easy to use. And if you take the time to read through the manual properly you can get some fantastic shots with them. I only have mine (a100) about 6 months but i love it.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra100/

Or if you want something a little more compact but with similar quality images you could go for something like this..

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonynex5nex3/

Hope this helps OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Two cameras that are better than the average compact digital are the Canon S95 and panasonic LX5. They are both capable of producing high quality images, however the real arbiter of the quality of the image is the person holding the camera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

cnocbui wrote: »
    Two cameras that are better than the average compact digital are the Canon S95 and panasonic LX5. They are both capable of producing high quality images, however the real arbiter of the quality of the image is the person holding the camera.

Do Canon and Samsung have some sort of relationship cause this particular camera is almost identical to my Samsung NV10, which is also a great little camera.

And judging froma a quick google search on the panasonic, would I be right in saying it has changeable lenses???

Neve mind just read the review, the picture i saw was just one with the lens taken off to display the sensor. Not changeable lenses though. Still looks like a great little camera!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

CallMeMiss wrote: »
    Hi all,

Im looking for a bit of advise. Im heading around the world in a few months time and Im looking for a camera to take with me.

At the moment I have the usual didital camera that comes out with me on nights out and gets thrown around my bag.

Im looking for something a bit more sophisticated but at the same time Iv no idea what that is exactly!! Iv a budget of €600 appx and I want something thats takes beautiful pictures & is not that complex to use!

Recommendations?!
    Thanks

Would you consider The New Canon S95?

My daughter got one recently and it is truly stunning. I've a 40d and it gives it a run for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Actually the Nikon p7000 is worth a look too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

How much worrying about your camera gear do you want to endure on a 9 hour bus journey across an asian/south american/etc wilderness? Will you have your laptop/external harddrive or frequent access to a internet cafe to transfer your pics? Some people will disagree with me but I think a dslr RTW is an insane idea and you'll regret it within weeks. I brought a G series Canon. If I was going again I'd go with the same or maybe a S95.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

but still takes great photos take a look here

Pentax Optio W90 Check out some of the sample images.

Currently under €250 on Pixmania

Waterproof to 20 feet for reliable underwater photography.
    • Shockproof to 4 feet to withstand the rigors of extreme use.
    • Coldproof to sub-freezing temperatures for use in chilly wintery, snowy activities.
    • Dustproof for use in dry, sandy climates.
    • 12.1 megapixel sensor and wide angle 5X optical zoom (28-140mm equivalent) ensure detailed images of any subject near or far.
    • Large 2.7 inch LCD, with 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio, is easy to view even in strong light or underwater.
    • Digital Microscope mode with LED lens lighting perfectly captures even the smallest and closest macro subjects as near as 1cm from the camera.
    • An HDMI port plays back beautiful high resolution images and video on HDTV’s.
    • Capture movies in widescreen 720p HD video at 30 frames per second.
    • Advanced Pixel Track Shake Reduction captures blur-free images in any lighting.
    • Take perfect portraits with fast Face Detection, Smile Capture, Blink Detection, and processing modes specifically designed for portraiture.
    • Capture images remotely with infrared remote control capabilities.
    • An autofocus assist lamp helps to quickly and accurately focus, even in challenging lighting.

Advertisement