Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thinking of working in New Zealand

Options
  • 15-12-2010 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Well hello there,

Just a brief one here in an attempt to sound out some info on applying for a work visa in NZ.

There's any amount of sites, and I know about their grading system in relation to what work you can do.

I'm currently doing a post-grad in Librarianship and information studies and so by the end of the summer will have an internationally recognised work qualification-god williing.

Does anyone know if it would be worth my while trying to speak to some one in the New Zealand embassy about this, I think they only have one in Britain though.

Also is Wellington or Christchurch, which is nicer?

Slainte......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

I know feck all about work visas to be honest - I came here on a working holiday one, applied for a work one, got denied, then applied for a partnership one, was expected, then applied for residency under partnership, got it.

However, I will say - Christchurch, in my opinion, heaps better than Wellington. For a start, it's nice and flat, unless you specifically go out to the Porthills. Lived here three years now (:o), and absolutely love it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Wellington FTW! Sure it's hilly, windy and more expensive, but it's by far the best city in NZ. I'd say as well that you'd have better job ops here- National Archives, 2 big universities etc.

Think of the cities here like cheese:

Wellington- like a rich creamy blue cheese. Slightly pretentious, takes time to get used to, but fantastic when you do.

Auckland- a big block of cheddar

Christchurch- Easi-single. Bland. Boring. (that said it's pretty near to some fantastic spots)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 reddan

Cheers for the info guys.

Convincing enough cases for each city, but I must admit being abit partial to prenentious cofee shops , so at this early stage I'd be leaning towards Wellington. Nice coffee and uni's would be a big pull.

Anywho thanks again.

My girlfriend is thinking of applying to study there while I'm eligible for a uk passport also so I might get one of those and avail of the 23 month whv they offer to UK citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Was this about 23 months for a UK passport holders,I wouldnt mind doing this,just finished canada and heading over again once work starts up but if i save some cash Ill think Ill do this for next year.Am I right in thinking that I have to go BUANAC for that visa?

Sorry for dragging up old threads but didnt want to start a new one since this one is allready here.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭davepatr07

MrCreosote has got it pretty much spot on regarding the NZ cities. Been based in Welly for almost a year. Def worth going to out of the big 3 IMO having spent some time in them. You have the Archives and UNI's here too as well as the Gov Depts.

Bit disappointed with cost of living here to be honest compared what you get paid, and to add onto it you don't get a tax refund if you have earned over $14000 :( In Canada you got something reasonable back. Having said that NZ would be a holiday destination rather than a place for me to work, very hard to save unless you are on good money.

Good luck

Crumble Froo what's the partnership visa is it a sponsorship? Did you apply for the work one after the WHV?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 vinjoe1983

hello i'm thinking about making the trip over to new zealand to work in construction as a carpenter i cant seem to find out accurate pay per hour and is it really worth my while going over can anybody tell me what experiences they had over there and what its really like

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭jamiecoins

vinjoe1983 wrote: »
    hello i'm thinking about making the trip over to new zealand to work in construction as a carpenter i cant seem to find out accurate pay per hour and is it really worth my while going over can anybody tell me what experiences they had over there and what its really like

hey ya ave a look on www.seek.co.nz or gumtree nz or similiar sites and you.l find the rates minium wage is someting like 14 nzd i think i could a dollar over so with a trade ya should get about 22 dollars i say could be totaly wrong to lol goin me self next sept ahhh

u going on a whv or for life ? like the trades visa

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭jamiecoins

jamiecoins wrote: »
    hey ya ave a look on www.seek.co.nz or gumtree nz or similiar sites and you.l find the rates minium wage is someting like 14 nzd i think i could a dollar over so with a trade ya should get about 22 dollars i say could be totaly wrong to lol goin me self next sept ahhh

u going on a whv or for life ? like the trades visa

try this
    http://www.seek.co.nz/jobs-resources/articles/salary-info

Advertisement