Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAS Scheme North Tipperary County Council

Options
  • 15-12-2010 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I have recently been approached by my County Council to apply for the RAS scheme. I have been renting for the past three years and am only in my current accomodation for the past two months. My landlord lives in the UK and has given me a 9 month lease, as he may or may not need use of the house during the summer. If he doesn't need the house during the summer he will renew the lease for another 9 months. However, the council have told me that the RAS scheme is only available for a minimum of 4 years, and that if I can't secure a 4 year lease with my landlord they will rehouse me elsewhere. I don't want to move from this house, but they have told me I have no other option if my landlord doesn't comply. I don't want to sign up for RAS, I don't want to be rehoused but I seemingly have no choice. I was under the impression that RAS was optional. Is there anybody out there having similar problems or that may have some advice on the situation?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

If you have been offered a RAS option, that means you have been on rent supplement long-term. It's government policy to shift from rent supplement to RAS.
    Your best option is to contact a local councillor with a view to arranging a meeting with Council housing dept. Your current landlord might be amenable to the terms of RAS, you might consider asking him as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yes, go for a talk with the council staff. Before you go sit down and write a list of questions so you discuss them.

Once you have more info, you might approach your landlord and see if they might join this. The rent will have to be negotiated but at least they have a long term tenant in place.
    And a lot of landlords would welcome this plus your landlord knows you already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Dani13

Hi, thanks for your advice! I have been on rent allowance long-term, three years or more, as I was in college and my partner still is. I realise it would be beneficial for both myself and the landlord but I hadn't realised it is government policy to switch people on long term RA to the RAS scheme. Thanks Again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Cadoche

RAS Background

The implementation of the Rental Accommodation Scheme(RAS) commenced on foot of a Government decision to transfer to housing authorities the responsibility for the long term housing needs of Supplementary Welfare Allowance Rent Supplement recipients.

The Rental Accommodation Scheme is an initiative introduced to cater for the accommodation needs of persons who are in receipt of rent supplement, starting with those in receipt of supplement of 18 months or more. The scheme provides an additional source of good quality rented accommodation for eligible persons to enhance the response of local authorities to meeting long-term housing need.

The main features of the scheme are that local authorities enter into contractual arrangements with accommodation providers to secure the medium to long-term availability of good quality private rented accommodation for RAS.

The Scheme commenced in May 2006 with North Tipperary County Council being the implementing authority for the country-at-large area. 68 transfers were effected in 2009 bringing the overall transfer figure to 223.
    Landlords

North Tipperary County council will enter into contractual arrangements with accommodation providers, landlords, property owners, estates and letting agents. The County Council will assume responsibility for making full monthly payments to landlords for the duration of the agreed contract.

The County Council will collect the tenant's rent contribution and will pay the full rent to the landlord even in the event of the property being vacant. Landlords will retain responsibility for insurances, routine maintenance and repair, and dealing with anti-social behaviour.

Click here to view the RAS Landlord Leaflet
    Click here to view the Landlord Expression of Interest Form
    Tenant

The advantage of the Scheme to the RAS tenant is that it will provide additional, good quality rented accommodation for people receiving rent supplement and it will help local authorities to provide long-term housing to those in need. The Scheme will give tenants of private rented accommodation long-term housing security while also giving them access to a range of housing supports.
    Click here to view the RAS Tenant Leaflet

RAS Location:
    RAS Unit, Housing Department,
    North Tipperary County Council,
    Civic Offices,
    Nenagh,
    Co. Tipperary.
    Opening Hours:- Mon to Fri. 9.30am - 4.30pm
    Contact Person:- P.J. Corrigan @ 067 44864 or Sharon Leenane @ 067 44642

Advertisement