Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there a way to anonymously report crimes to the garda?

• 15-12-2010 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭

Well is there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

yes the garda confidential line

but ive got your IP so you had better come clean to me now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Garda Confidential No.: 1 800 666 111

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

It's not really confidential though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

ring any garda station, give them your information, hang up.

i mean seriously?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Use a pay phone and some helium balloons :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Tie a note onto a rock and chuck it through the Gardaí Station's window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

It's not really confidential though.

Well if the person is your brother he might recognise your voice I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Post here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭gothicus

try wearing one of these when talking to the cops......http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=29y5fv9&s=7

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

PM me and I'll pass it on. I promise ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Yes my name? Is..............uh.............Mr Snrub.......................cof.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

nudist wrote: »
    Well is there?

Put some clothes on and go in, they'll never recognise you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Crimestoppers

Crimestoppers is a partnership between private industry and An Garda Síochána which operates by encouraging people to report a crime by calling a freephone number. It guarantees anonymity and occasionally offers cash rewards for information pertaining to specific crimes, at the discretion of An Garda Síochána. Crimestoppers is staffed by members of the Garda National Bureau of Criminal Investigation.
    Crimestoppers Freefone can be contacted at: 1 800 250 025

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Don't bother reporting anything to the Gardai, nobody likes a snitch after all. Arm yourself and take revenge yourself, this is the only way proper justice can be delivered in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

If its me you're reporting, then no, no there isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Stinicker wrote: »
    Don't bother reporting anything to the Gardai, nobody likes a snitch after all. Arm yourself and take revenge yourself, this is the only way proper justice can be delivered in this country.

You'll need military experience a mate in the Guards and one of these.

And guns. Lots of guns.

prinz wrote: »
    Crimestoppers

Crimestoppers is a partnership between private industry and An Garda Síochána which operates by encouraging people to report a crime by calling a freephone number. It guarantees anonymity and occasionally offers cash rewards for information pertaining to specific crimes, at the discretion of An Garda Síochána. Crimestoppers is staffed by members of the Garda National Bureau of Criminal Investigation.
    Crimestoppers Freefone can be contacted at: 1 800 250 025

Hmm. Does that turn up on your phone bill, I wonder. -As in, as it's freephone, does it show up?

Yes, by shouting really loudly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Hmm. Does that turn up on your phone bill, I wonder. -As in, as it's freephone, does it show up?

Nope, 1800 traffic doesn't appear on any bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Garda confidential line me arse. Ring them, tell them what the problem is and they ask for your details :rolleyes:

Also, it's pointless as they can't / wont do anything without a statement and if someone is willing to go to court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

The last time i rang the Garda they didnt bother taking my information. I think they class it as a hang up and less paperwork. They arrived in a few minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Also, it's pointless as they can't / wont do anything without a statement and if someone is willing to go to court.

It's common sense that they won't do something based on an anonymous tip off, or based on the word of someone who refuses for whatever reason to make a statement.

However it's not pointless as it may point them in the right direction, it may agree with other info they have, they might already have suspects and could then devote more energy into investigating certain people etc. If you have information there is always a point in passing it on with or without a statement.

Stinicker wrote: »

Yup. Spot on. I saw someone jaywalking the last day and I beat him to a pulp with the leg of an old chair.

Justice - it tastes like other people's blood!
    Garda confidential line me arse. Ring them, tell them what the problem is and they ask for your details :rolleyes:

"My name? Yes it's Joe Murphy. My address? 1 Main Street, Dublin."

If you ring them up to report someone dealing heroin on the street they won't ask you to go to court or make a statement. You're just reporting them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

Nope, 1800 traffic doesn't appear on any bill.

General 1800 traffic does. At least it does on both of my bills (UTV & O2). I don't know about the Garda Confidential Line as I've never had cause to ring them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

nudist wrote: »
    Well is there?

take the law into your own hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Yup. Spot on. I saw someone jaywalking the last day and I beat him to a pulp with the leg of an old chair.

Jaywalking isn't against the law, you just assaulted someone. Next time i see you i'm gonna beat you to a pulp with the leg of an old chair.

Jaywalking isn't against the law, you just assaulted someone. Next time i see you i'm gonna beat you to a pulp with the leg of an old chair.

That's a threat. I'm going to beat you to a pulp with the leg of an old chair for threatening behaviour.

Eh..... he dropped an empty bag of crisps too so I got him for littering and all!

• Advertisement

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Eh..... he dropped an empty bag of crisps too so I got him for littering and all!

He was probably littering the floor with blood anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Tie a note onto a rock and chuck it through the Gardaí Station's window.
    probably a bit late to warn you about wearing gloves :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Answers on a postcard ...

Advertisement