Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Pancakes

Options
  • 15-12-2010 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

anyone know where i can buy the wafer thin pancakes (the ones you get with the crispy aromatic duck) preferably around the cavan/meath/ kildare area.

Oh and any idea of the price?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

They sell them in Chinese supermarkets. The packet I bought contained about 40 or so of them and was in the freezer. Can't remember exactly, but I think the price was €3 or €4 maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i get all my chinese food supplies in the shop where the luas stop is behind the jervis centre on abbey street.

i live in navan, but whenever i go into the city i always park in the jervis if possible so i can grab some supplies on my way back to the car. :)

they do heaps of stuff in there, inc. the best (asian sourced, imported) pre-made sauces by far. oyster sauce, char-sui, hoisin, plum, back bean & loads of others that are to die for and wipe the floor with their western imitations.

i'm a big fan of their frozen section as well, they do really nice steamed dumplings (pick up a bamboo steamer whilst you're there) and frozen uncooked king prawns and de-boned cooked duck at a fraction of the price you pay in regular supermarkets.

i've been going there for years, but whenever i go in, i always make myself buy a few things that i've never tried (even if i have no idea what they are). they have a huge selection of all types of asian cuisines too, not just chinese, so you can find plenty of indian and thai spices, pastes & sauces as well and they have a deli counter for cooked meals, lots of fresh picked asian vegtables and a fresh fish counter at the back with everything from fish to live lobsters & crabs.

they also do a lot of cookware & serving bowls etc. as well, if you don't already have everything you need. most of the stuff is labelled in chinese etc. but usually have a white label on them with english translations, although not always. i'm adventurous by nature so i just go for it most of the time and if i get something bad i chalk it up to experience and try something different next time. :)

well worth a visit for anyone interested in getting into asian cooking at home and a lot of the stuff is either in jars, frozen or dried so bring some freezer bags and you can stock up on loads of stuff, i really can't recommend them enough. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭maxpower

sounds good, prob take a spin up this week, got some cheap large frozen ducks (2.8 kg) for €9.99 in lidl, and fancy a bit of the duck with the pancakes over the Christmas period :)

thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

they do the ducks already cooked in all the right ways for crispy pancakes, ready de-boned and in half.

all you have to do is just throw them under the grill for 15-20 minutes to crisp up the skin whilst you cut some scallion, carrot & cucumber batons and put out a little bowl of hoisin or plum sauce, stick your pancakes in the microwave for 10 seconds then just chop/shred the duck and you're ready for a feast. :)

half a duck is a good starter for two or main course for one and its much better than the takeaway stuff imho.

the trip might be handy for a few last minute xmas gifts in the jervis too in case you forgot anything. ;)

look out for the extra large uncooked (peeled, but tail on) king/tiger prawns as well, they're like €6.99 or something for a 1kg bag.

i just defrost them in cold running water and you only need to give the tail a little squeeze and it pops off and they're ready to cook however you like altho you might want to check for the black vein down the spine. i usually just slice them vertically right along the length of the spine right through so they are in equal halves like you'd cut a lobster and when they cook, shtye twist round like a pigs rail and hold in lots of sauce etc. so they're really full of flavour.

damn, now i'm hungry. :D

Advertisement