Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some types of people are so inconsiderate

Options
  • 15-12-2010 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭

Specifically, regarding some, ahem, empirical observations, why is it that 70-80% of people in the library who talk loudly and are generally unacceptably noisy are from the countryside? Considering significantly less than that percentage of UCD students are from the country, I'd say that represents a vastly out of proportion number of rude, inconsiderate people from a specific geographic location (ie outside Dublin).

I mean seriously, is it acceptable in libraries the midlands to have gangs of 4 or more people standing around a sitting person, talking and laughing as though it were a mess hall? And yes, it is mainly people from the country who do this, and almost always males. Even when my friends and I were starry-eyed first years were didn't do this, but some of these guys are in their 20's.

That's not to say Dubliners don't do it too, but far less often, usually less loudly, usually in much smaller numbers, rarely for as long, and those who do are never older than me.

Learn some manners please, and don't look so offended when I tell you to move on.

I'd also like to praise our foreign and non-white Irish comrades, as not once in quite a number of years of study have I been bothered by one of them making noise.

/rant.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Lou45

Bit mean don't you think to assume country people are the worst?? I personally found it quite the opposite the other day as 2 people from Dublin were the only people to be fined by Librocop for talking. I myself do find it annoying too but there is a balance between the people who do it. And of course it is not acceptable to gather in a library like that in the midlands, this is only a minority of people who do this and it should not be seen as the case for the midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭cozzie55

I think your being a tad unfair there. I'm in the library right now and there is a group of 3 people all dubliners all talking to each other loudly and behind me there is a group of country people. I'd imagine its fairly evenly spread round.
    It depends where you sit in the library. Like if you sit on the 3rd floor in the ag and eng section then of course there is going to be a dis-appropriate number of country people. Where as on the 2nd floor your are more likely to find dubliners as there is a high proportion of them in the arts, law and business courses.
    I know its annoying to be sitting near people who are talking esp if you have an exam in a few hours and you need to cram in a load of info, but if it bothers you that much then why not study in one of the quiter libraries like richview or vet.

While we are talking about annoying people in the library i find it much more annoying when people are constantly getting up and down and walking around. Esp if you have to keeping moving your chair in and out to let them in and out of their desk.

Specifically, regarding some, ahem, empirical observations, why is it that 70-80% of people in the library who talk loudly and are generally unacceptably noisy are from the countryside? Considering significantly less than that percentage of UCD students are from the country, I'd say that represents a vastly out of proportion number of rude, inconsiderate people from a specific geographic location (ie outside Dublin).

I mean seriously, is it acceptable in libraries the midlands to have gangs of 4 or more people standing around a sitting person, talking and laughing as though it were a mess hall? And yes, it is mainly people from the country who do this, and almost always males. Even when my friends and I were starry-eyed first years were didn't do this, but some of these guys are in their 20's.

That's not to say Dubliners don't do it too, but far less often, usually less loudly, usually in much smaller numbers, rarely for as long, and those who do are never older than me.

Learn some manners please, and don't look so offended when I tell you to move on.

I'd also like to praise our foreign and non-white Irish comrades, as not once in quite a number of years of study have I been bothered by one of them making noise.

/rant.

Completely untrue. In my experience, it's mostly Dubliners. This would make sense, considering they're more likely to go to a Dublin college, and there are more of them, but I don't know where you got 70-80% from.

I'm fairly certain yours is just an unfortunate special case.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭deereidy

/rant.

This is total bull****, I'm from Mayo and whenever I'm in a computer room all I can hear is this high pitched, pretentioius, arrogant sounding D4 accent everywhere I go, it seems to manage to even cut through other background noise cos they're so bloody desperate for everyone to hear them. Everyone in UCD makes noise when others around them are trying to studybecause they're all selfish, inconsiderate little pricks, but the D4 accent is by far the most irksome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The muck savages don't seem impressed ChocolateSauce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Lou45 wrote: »
    Bit mean don't you think to assume country people are the worst??

It would be mean to assume that, yes, but as I said, this is a factual observation I have made (although it seems likely that some parts of the library would have different concentrations of people from certain faculties than others), and one I have consistantly made for years. Perhaps others have made different ones, but this is my tried and true experience. It is especially bad this year though as cutbacks mean there are fewer staff on patrol. Today I haven't seen a single library cop on my floor all day.

This pretty much covers the other replies too, except:
    deereidy wrote: »
    This is total bull****, I'm from Mayo and whenever I'm in a computer room all I can hear is this high pitched, pretentioius, arrogant sounding D4 accent everywhere I go, it seems to manage to even cut through other background noise cos they're so bloody desperate for everyone to hear them. Everyone in UCD makes noise when others around them are trying to studybecause they're all selfish, inconsiderate little pricks, but the D4 accent is by far the most irksome.

Well this is about the level of noise in the library, not the type of accent you hear in a computer room, where there isn't a policy of silence. I'm not being annoyed by country accents, I'm being annoyed by people speaking loudly, the majority of whom happen to have country accents.

Well an obvious suggestion would be to locate to the second floor where there is more than one Librocop constantly on patrol..

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭deereidy

It would be mean to assume that, yes, but as I said, this is a factual observation I have made (although it seems likely that some parts of the library would have different concentrations of people from certain faculties than others), and one I have consistantly made for years. Perhaps others have made different ones, but this is my tried and true experience. It is especially bad this year though as cutbacks mean there are fewer staff on patrol. Today I haven't seen a single library cop on my floor all day.

Well this is about the level of noise in the library, not the type of accent you hear in a computer room, where there isn't a policy of silence. I'm not being annoyed by country accents, I'm being annoyed by people speaking loudly, the majority of whom happen to have country accents.

yes but the d4 accent travels much further, therefore causing more disturbance to a wider area :P

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

An arsehole's an arsehole, no matter what part of the country they're from. Heard plenty of both culchie and D4 idiots in the library in my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Planks who take up valuable plug spots and then spend the entire time on facebook are another source of rage for me around exam time.

• Advertisement

Also don't undertstand why people sit at desks with sockets with no laptop at all, selfish!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Walnut.

Everyone in UCD makes noise when others around them are trying to studybecause they're all selfish, inconsiderate little pricks, but the D4 accent is by far the most irksome.

lol, i can tell someone enjoys UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Hmmm statistically there are probably more dubs then culchies in UCD. But during exam time I'd say a lot of dubs study at home, and a lot of culchies in the JJ?

Personally I am rarely distracted by other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Well it isn't really OP? You said that it is mostly country-side accents. It isn't. I'd say it leans the Dublin and surrounding areas more than the "culchies." All I ever see is jumped up tools wearing a selection of red/bright blue/green tracksuits hanging around their ass, one hand grasping their excuse for a penis, or orange women looking like they were dragged thorough forty ditches talking pure ****e in front of escalators and in between shelves.
    That said, I do see "culchies" talking a fair bit, but they are far more considerate than those other shítes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

I can hear is this high pitched, pretentioius, arrogant sounding D4 accent everywhere I go
    Better than the lower class, shít eating, sister fúcking Mayo accents.

not so nice to hear it back to you is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭cozzie55

god i'm surprised that it took so long for this thread to turn into a D4 v culchie match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

So, in conclusion, people talking in the library is bad, some people think there's more country people doing it, some people think there's more Dublin people doing it. People from Dublin don't like the insinuation that it's them, people from the country likewise.

I think that pretty much covers it. So I'm just going to lock this before it gets any nastier.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement