Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning for disaster :)

Options
  • 15-12-2010 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

So, my freezer is stuffed with goodies, my pantry is full of food - we're all set for the Big Day - BUT - what'll I do if we have a power outage on Dec 25th? It wouldn't be the first time - 12 years ago (before I lived here) the power went out over Christmas for 2 days. I'm a little concerned about the weather forecast over Christmas, and want to have a fall back solution if the worst happens.

Our oven and hob are both electric, we don't have a barbecue, but we do have an open fire. If we find ourselves without power - any ideas? Anything I should be buying now in case it's needed (and a gas oven is out of the question!)? I have candles!

We're planning to have goose on Christmas Day - but perhaps it would be an idea to cook the ham and a turkey crown beforehand, and leave in the fridge. If all goes well, we can eat those on St Stephen's Day with salad, and if there's no power, we could have that on Christmas Day, with perhaps some spuds boiled over the open fire and mashed?

Any thoughts? Fingers crossed all will be OK, but having lost a couple of Christmases to the 'flu, I really don't want to lose another one if I can avoid it by planning ahead!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Have a quick look at this thread, someone in a similar situation to yourself :)

Would be a good idea to cook anything that can be cooked on Christmas Eve if you like yes. You could do baked potatoes (wrapped in foil) over an open fire I would think?
    No harm having some cold food that you could serve, salads/rolls/cheese/meats etc. You could also maybe bake an apple tart or something the day before hand so ye have something else to nibble on.

Candles/blankets/matches lol/marshmallows for the fire :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Happened us about 12 years ago as well - possibly the same time. It was New Year's Eve before we had electricity again.

1. Get a superser and one of these. It means you can heat a different room, and it's easier to cook on than straight on a fire.
    2. Remember that if the electricity goes, your fridge and freezer go to. Open the doors as little as possible - think about what you want to take out and where it is before opening the door so you don't waste time rooting around.
    3. Precooking the ham etc is a good idea - but remember if it's cold you'll want some hot food as well. Consider having some soups and bread on standby.
    4. Charge anything you want charged (mobiles/cameras etc.) ahead of time. Maybe ask Santa if he could bring any kids presents pre-charged as well?

Buy a big thermos flask - then if you're boiling water for tea/coffee you can put any extra hot water into the flask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

Darkginger wrote: »
    So, my freezer is stuffed with goodies, my pantry is full of food - we're all set for the Big Day - BUT - what'll I do if we have a power outage on Dec 25th? It wouldn't be the first time - 12 years ago (before I lived here) the power went out over Christmas for 2 days. I'm a little concerned about the weather forecast over Christmas, and want to have a fall back solution if the worst happens.

Our oven and hob are both electric, we don't have a barbecue, but we do have an open fire. If we find ourselves without power - any ideas? Anything I should be buying now in case it's needed (and a gas oven is out of the question!)? I have candles!

We're planning to have goose on Christmas Day - but perhaps it would be an idea to cook the ham and a turkey crown beforehand, and leave in the fridge. If all goes well, we can eat those on St Stephen's Day with salad, and if there's no power, we could have that on Christmas Day, with perhaps some spuds boiled over the open fire and mashed?

Any thoughts? Fingers crossed all will be OK, but having lost a couple of Christmases to the 'flu, I really don't want to lose another one if I can avoid it by planning ahead!

make friends with someone with a gas cooker - I'm sure they will oblige around christmas and stick your goose in the oven for you

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

make friends with someone with a gas cooker - I'm sure they will oblige around christmas and stick your goose in the oven for you

This is a good idea. The year our electricity went halfway through cooking the turkey we all piled into the car and dropped the turkey to a friends house because she had a gas cooker. After a trip to the grandparents' house we were able to collect the turkey and bring it home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

We've a gas cooker, but......

Its dual fuel. Gas Hobs and electric ovens...DOH!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Well, we've had a disaster - but not the one I expected! The leccy has stayed on (touch wood, so far, am still cooking my goose!) but the water's gone off. I've managed to find about a litre of bottled water that was in the car, plus squeeze a little out of the taps - should just about have enough to parboil the spuds and cook the sprouts, swede and carrots. Fingers crossed! Am wiping the pans for re-use rather than washing them. We've both had too much booze to contemplate driving anywhere, and the neighbours have the same problem we do. Melting snow is not an option when it's been 'used' by dogs, cats and chickens :)

I love these little Christmas surprises! The loo is out of commission, but we're coping (and no, am NOT going into details there!). Wish me luck - dinner should be ready at 6 (ish).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Ah no! at least you're managing to get by.
    With all the water shortages around here the last few weeks we'd stocked up on bottled water just in case.

Best of luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

Well we got the dreaded power cut!! Power went off at 1.30, we'd just served up as it was all cooked last night. Thank god we have a generator so we cooked some of the neighbours food for them. Power just came back there now so kids back on the new xbox!

Advertisement