Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does this OC look ok?

Options
  • 15-12-2010 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Lads this is my first attempt at overclocking my new rig..
    I5 760
    Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4
    corsair XMS3 1600 cl7
    noctua nh-d14
    I would apreciate if you guys in the know could take a look at a my core temp and cpu-z stats and let me know if im heading in the right direction...

Coretemp was done with prime 95 running for 2 hrs...Should it be run for longer do you think?
    core temp.jpg

memory.jpg

cpu.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

For a major I'm-Finished stability run you should use Prime95 on all cores for 8+ hours and/or use an even more hardcore program, keeping more of an eye on heat than stability really.

What RAM is that btw? Hope you don't have it much past 1.65V! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

The ram is corsair xms3 1600 cl7
    volted @ 1.66..
    What would the max temps I should be looking for when I get a chanceto sit and whatch for 8 hrs....??
    Sounds like a good excuse for a 8hr booze:D over the weekend...

:D

Hmm... as low as possible, but realistically the further below 70°C the better! Above 80°C you should be re-thinking your OC and in particular your overvolt :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

OCCT > Prime95

OCCT isn't normal usage though, IIRC its more like LinPack, which is for testing to server-grade stability standards. You can't work out the heat level from it either as those "supertorture" tests are designed to circumvent TDP and pull 120%+ normal power levels... It could wind up artificially forcing speed reduction and voltage increases to maintain stability during that one test.

• Advertisement

Solitaire wrote: »
    :D

Hmm... as low as possible, but realistically the further below 70°C the better! Above 80°C you should be re-thinking your OC and in particular your overvolt :o

You mention overvolt...do you mean the ram? I went1.66 for the ram as corsair recommend 1.65 and the bios will go 1.64/1.66...should I take it down a tad do you think?...sorry for all the ??????`s but this craic is new to me..

If You're stable for 2 hours of OCCT, You've found Your 24/7 overclock. No need to test for 8 hours, it will push Your pc to the absolute limit.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    If You're stable for 2 hours of OCCT, You've found Your 24/7 overclock. No need to test for 8 hours, it will push Your pc to the absolute limit.

sounds good...I will run it now on large data set and priority high for 2 hours and see what happens...

I will post the results for your post mortem;)

Thanks lads..

well my 2 hrs is up on OCCT and here are the results...Im pleased..
    What are your thoughts? is it a keeper?

cpu 1occt.jpg

cpu2 occt.png

cpu3 occt.jpg

occt temps.jpg

The temps off coretemp seem a small bit higher than occt

OCCT isn't normal usage though, IIRC its more like LinPack, which is for testing to server-grade stability standards. You can't work out the heat level from it either as those "supertorture" tests are designed to circumvent TDP and pull 120%+ normal power levels... It could wind up artificially forcing speed reduction and voltage increases to maintain stability during that one test.

Thats all gobbledeegook to me:eek:

will give prime a good sitting over the weekend when time is on my side
    ;)

cheers

• Advertisement

I'd be very happy with that

I'd be very happy with that

My mrs thinks im going weird looking at the monitor watching numbers and smiling...
    They just dont understand do they...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

What cpu voltages are you using in the bios?

Looks like a great overclock btw

nuxxx wrote: »
    What cpu voltages are you using in the bios?

Looks like a great overclock btw

1.1937v in the bios....
    its working well.... temps are good...
    no probs so far and I have been throwing everything at it to see if its going to **** up on me....all good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 nvus

dwighet, when you can run Prim95 & Furmark at the same time for more than an hour you know you've made a champ PC :)

P.S. when do we get te see pics of your new monster?:cool:

nvus wrote: »
    dwighet, when you can run Prim95 & Furmark at the same time for more than an hour you know you've made a champ PC :)

Prime 95 and furmark at the same time...cool..Will give that a go after work..

I will post some pics as soon as my new fans and cable extentions land from abroad...the guts of it is a bit messy at the moment:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Thats very low Vcore for 4ghz :eek: :cool:

What are your temps like under load?

What have you used to test for stability?
    If its stable at the vcore you could have a really good clocker.

game4it70 wrote: »
    Thats very low Vcore for 4ghz :eek: :cool:

What are your temps like under load?

What have you used to test for stability?
    If its stable at the vcore you could have a really good clocker.

Read page 1, He's stable alright. He's got a golden chip.......like my e0 that does 3.8Ghz undervolted :p

From the heat my i5 is jacking out at stock I suspect I haven't been so lucky... :(

nvus wrote: »

Just did the prime95 and furmark for a hour together...no worries there.
    Temps got up to 68 but thats ok I think as the coal fire is on...

I could jump the cooler and case fans up to 1300rpm to drop a few degrees but i like things quiet..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

From the heat my i5 is jacking out at stock I suspect I haven't been so lucky... :(

What stock temps are you getting?

Anywhere between 65°C and 90°C depending on ambient, which varies between 10°C and 25°C depending on heating. Stock speed, stock volts, stock cooler. And this is an open-air testbed! :(

Every time I catch it surpassing ~80°C I drop it into hibernation to give stuff time to cool off, otherwise its running 24/7.

dwighet wrote: »
    Coretemp was done with prime 95 running for 2 hrs...Should it be run for longer do you think?
    Read page 1, He's stable alright. He's got a golden chip.......like my e0 that does 3.8Ghz undervolted :p

I did :P.
    To be fair 2 hours of prime is nowhere near long enough to be sure its stable.
    The more common way to test is at least 8 hrs of prime and/or 20+ runs of linX with "all" memory. ;)

I did :P.
    To be fair 2 hours of prime is nowhere near long enough to be sure its stable.
    The more common way to test is at least 8 hrs of prime and/or 20+ runs of linX with "all" memory. ;)

I did the 8 hrs of prime last weekend....Was all good.
    Havnt`t done the linX....will give it go now for the craic....

I did the 8 hrs of prime last weekend....Was all good.
    Havnt`t done the linX....will give it go now for the craic....
    Nice one so very good chance your stable.
    Do keep an eye on temps when running linX as its more aggressive than prime and will add a few C more to your cores.

Nice one so very good chance your stable.
    Do keep an eye on temps when running linX as its more aggressive than prime and will add a few C more to your cores.

There you go
    Untitled.jpg

Temps did get to 72c briefly but its very warm here in the sitting room

How much ram are you running?

When using linX you need to have memory set to "all" so it stress's it fully.

Suberb Vcore imo and still decent temps.

How much ram are you running?

When using linX you need to have memory set to "all" so it stress's it fully.

Suberb Vcore imo and still decent temps.
    oops...forgot to select all....will do it again

The ram is 4gig

I selected "all"

I suppose its just down to what process's/programs are running in the background that are taking up the resourses.I thought it would have used a bit more ram but shouldn't make any difference in your case.

Have you tried using uneven multipliers?
    Its strange but i5/i7 most of the time clock better with uneven multi.

191 base clock by 21 multi is a very common to achieve 4ghz although it will make you ram run slower or alot faster depending on what ram divider you choose.
    If you have time it would be worth trying it as you may need less Vcore for it than 20x200.

I would certainly try for 4.2 (21x200) with that cpu as you shouldn't need to much more voltage looking at how little you need for 4ghz.

Lol i was slow posting so just saw your edit.
    Let me know how you get on.

• Advertisement

I suppose its just down to what process's/programs are running in the background that are taking up the resourses.I thought it would have used a bit more ram but shouldn't make any difference in your case.

Have you tried using uneven multipliers?
    Its strange but i5/i7 most of the time clock better with uneven multi.

191 base clock by 21 multi is a very common to achieve 4ghz although it will make you ram run slower or alot faster depending on what ram divider you choose.
    If you have time it would be worth trying it as you may need less Vcore for it than 20x200.

I would certainly try for 4.2 (21x200) with that cpu as you shouldn't need to much more voltage looking at how little you need for 4ghz.

Lol i was slow posting so just saw your edit.
    Let me know how you get on.

I tried getting 4.2 a few days ago and had no worries @ 1.28v but the temps were getting warm so thought Id wait until my extra fans arrive(im only running 2 intake and 1 exhaust at the moment) also got some arctic silver thermal paste on its way.......

Heres the linX test done with all memory

Untitled-1.jpg

Advertisement