Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

graphics card fan noise :-/

• 15-12-2010 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭

ive just invested in a new card - geforce gtx 460

problem is that the fan noise is quite loud. i use it for critical listening in a recording studio and its quite distracting. we have our main PC in an isobox but i cant afford another box for a while.

im not afraid of going in with tools so any tips on reducing fan noise? (the old blanket over the PC is NOT an option:P)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Check there's nothing snagged on the fan (cable) that might cause a louder than usual noise

If it's still too loud....buy a replacement cooler for it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

The fan shouldn't be that loud under 2D load... see if you can use nVidia's driver control panel thingy to reduce fan speed at low temps? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

its not a snag noise, more a motor whir. exactly the same sound as my pc fan only a good bit louder.

would upgrading the cooler help much? as far as i know the cooling needed on them is minimal as it is as the ddr5 memory doesnt need as much.

im far from an expert on them though so any suggestions for upgraded coolers or quick manual fixes would be appreciated.

Solitaire wrote: »
    The fan shouldn't be that loud under 2D load... see if you can use nVidia's driver control panel thingy to reduce fan speed at low temps? :confused:

i used the control panel and brought the fan to 70% but its making 0 differance to the noise level.

what i suspect is that acceptable levels to your average consumer is not going to be acceptable for my needs :-/

maybe that isobox will be needed sooner rather than later.

just seen that the nvidia system tools download is pretty decent at handling fan speeds on their cards. ill try it and report back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

maybe that isobox will be needed sooner rather than later.

Wouldn't a quieter graphics card make more sense? Unless the computer itself is deathly quiet, I'm surprised that a graphics card should be so significantly noisier. Can you bring it back for a replacment?

bhickey wrote: »
    Wouldn't a quieter graphics card make more sense? Unless the computer itself is deathly quiet, I'm surprised that a graphics card should be so significantly noisier. Can you bring it back for a replacment?

computer is very very quiet and the isobox is a must eventually anyway, just cost before xmas is an issue.

the noise seems to be because its on 100% speed constantly. gonna try system tools before i go rushing back as i did a search and the gtx460 is pretty noisy by all accounts but nothing that cant be managed by the software.

sorted with latest drivers and performance utility from nvidia website.

Advertisement