Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't really know what I'm doing...:S

Options
  • 15-12-2010 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in 6th year and I'm gay. I'm basically in the closet to almost everyone apart from 1 or 2 close friends and my family. My school is really close minded and there are no other gay people there so obviously I've never really been in the position to go out with another girl before until now, and I really like her.

The story is, theres a girl in my year I think is gay and I think she likes me. But I'm not sure and I really can't afford to make a wrong move. The reasons I think she's gay are really stereotypical and I'm sure I should rely less on stereotypes because they're not real but what else is there to do? She's the captain of a huge hockey team and an even more important soccer team, she never wears her hair down, rarely wears make-up and wears pretty masculine clothes, which is especially unusual because she is in the whole really blonde popular crowd (which makes her even more terrifying because I am in the science-y nerdy crowd :P). She also has no interested in on her Facebook and no pictures of her with boys.

The reasons I think she likes me is because I was sitting by myself in Irish and she moved away from her own friends to come sit with me (which I mentioned to one of the friends I am not out to and she was fairly shocked that the two crowds of people would ever mix willingly!! :P), and then we were at this retreat in school last week and I caught her looking at me more than once. So am I imagining things and should just leave the whole thing alone or should I try and talk to her more? I'm so confused!! Sorry that was so long :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Why not just try and become friends with her. Talk to her, get to know each other, but leave asking her out until later. You've got 6 months, and if she sees you taking the initiative, and she's into you, she'll reciprocate. If she's not interested, then you haven't made a fool out of yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 maryd83

Oh wow, this is gut wrenchingly familiar.

I'm second year in college now but back when I was in 6th year I was gay and in a small minded, down right backward school with absolutely no exposure to mainstream culture. Anyway, I was the "popular" girl with all the friends (not real mind you I knew if they found out I was gay they'd hit the bricks) I was the captain of a sports team, and got the best grades. Then one day, I realised that I really really liked this girl who I just clicked with then eventually realised I was completely in love with her. She gave/gives considerable signs she does like me but I have never told her a thing. It only gets worse with time. I really want to tell her actually. It's been 3 years!! It's so so so hard to admit your feelings to anyone, let alone your homosexual feelings to a person who might not be gay. I hope this works out for you. Women do NOT give in. We've been doing this stupid love game thing for years!!

Also, I would not advise coming out in secondary school. If it's anything like mine, it would be bad for your health if you get me. Instead, wait till college, meet people who don't know you as anything other than what's right infront of them and if it comes up just casually mention it. That's what I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

I agree with Aard, just make make an effort and see what happens.

However be careful, if you fall for her and she's straight or doesn't reciprocate it is the single most painful feeling in the world, I'm speaking from experience.

Don't get me wrong, I do think you should try, it could go wonderfully, I just think you should be aware of the consequences if it doesn't. Whatever you do hope it works out for the best. :)

Advertisement