Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best way to remove a cigarette burn on a wooden kitchen table

• 15-12-2010 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

hi could any1 help me with this.had a good few people over the other nite and as usual i left with a reminder from 1 of them.there is a fag burn in the middle of the table.its a dark varnished wooden table.its rented accomodation im in so really need to get it sorted.any1 out there that could help with this.will apreciate all replys

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Cheat a little and put a doily type mat with a nice vase of flowers, could be dried or fresh, over the burn.

Next party have a smoking ban.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭cram1971

hi could any1 help me with this.had a good few people over the other nite and as usual i left with a reminder from 1 of them.there is a fag burn in the middle of the table.its a dark varnished wooden table.its rented accomodation im in so really need to get it sorted.any1 out there that could help with this.will apreciate all replys

Thanks

Do you know if it is a solid or veneered table top?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭sanbrafyffe

wats the difference in these,
    cram1971 wrote: »
    Do you know if it is a solid or veneered table top?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

The Difference is the veneer will be no thicker than a sheet of newspaper over mdf or chip board. Solid timber will be just that a piece of solid Wood Teak, Oak, etc.
    If it is solid you can put a damp cloth over the burn which will cause the timber to rise. You can then sand it away, You may have to repeat this a few times and then re varnish.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭cram1971

wats the difference in these,

A solid top what is says a solid piece of timber all the way through. A veneer is a thin piece of timber glues to a composite sheet generally only about 1mm thick. You can sand it problem is a burn will be right through to the veneer to the composite.

Another possibilty is also a plastic laminate similiar to a veneer but unrepairable from a burn mark.

Prehaps post a pic showing the burn and the edge of the table

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭sanbrafyffe

how do i upload pics on here
    cram1971 wrote: »
    A solid top what is says a solid piece of timber all the way through. A veneer is a thin piece of timber glues to a composite sheet generally only about 1mm thick. You can sand it problem is a burn will be right through to the veneer to the composite.

Another possibilty is also a plastic laminate similiar to a veneer but unrepairable from a burn mark.

Prehaps post a pic showing the burn and the edge of the table

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

how do i upload pics on here

Click on post reply, scroll down and click manage attachments. You can add them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

you could always add loads more burns similar to the original to create a nice pattern...

Advertisement