Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballistic Turrets

Options
  • 15-12-2010 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi Guys
    Just on here a few days ago and thought you could help with soem more info. I have a S&B 10 x 42 Classik mounted on my .270 with a 200 Y zero - very acceptable but getting into some longer shots out to 500. I saw in the S&B site that they can retrofit ballistic turrets to any of their scopes and provide blank elevation rings - anyone got experiance of this including cost?

Also want to get some work done to my gun adjusting trigger pressure - can anyone recommend a suitable setting and someone to do the job. Its a Tikka T3 lite. It has a stainless barrell (with overbarrell supressor)and I want to get this painted black any thoughts on painting it or would a can of spray be as good. And finally I would like slightly more cheek elevation I have a cartridge sleeve on there that gives about 10mm

All feedback appriciated - e

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Moving to main shooting forum. Will get more exposure and possibly more answers.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Welcome to the Madhouse, emcor.:D

Hopefully some of the more experienced lads will be along shortly, but for now, I'll try to answer / give my opinion on the info you're looking for (to the best of my limited knowledge, that is):
    I have a S&B 10 x 42 Classik mounted on my .270 with a 200 Y zero - very acceptable but getting into some longer shots out to 500
    If you have a fixed mag x10 scope, I'd say you may have to get an upgrade to a higher magnification or possibly a variable mag scope for getting out the longer distances. x10 Mag seems a wee bit too low to me for a target out at 500m. I may be wrong - and if you're deer hunting that level of magnification may be perfectly fine, although (and personally I think a 500m shot on a deer is risky and not very sporting: it's deer hunting not deer sniping after all, but that's just my own opinion - if you're a damn good shot, fine: but I'd get plenty of practice in on paper first)

I'll let the Deer lads will probably answer that one far better than I.

But for anything else (i.e. bunnys, foxes, targets) at 500m personally I'd prefer something a bit stronger on the magnification front.

Could you let us know what type of shooting you're planning to do out to the longer distances?
    I saw in the S&B site that they can retrofit ballistic turrets to any of their scopes and provide blank elevation rings
    Not sure myself about the benefit of the ballistic turrets, but again that's just MvHO. If you know your dial-ins, drops, hold-offs, and can use your reticle, I can't personally see the need for spending good money on retro-fitting the ballistic turrets to what is, after all, a fixed-mag scope.
    anyone got experiance of this including cost?
    Can't help you with that, I'm afraid, but remember one of the lads posting some info on retrofit stuff to scopes recently.

Hope that's of some limited help to you - and I'd be pretty sure someone else will be along promptly to set us both right.;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

i contacted s&B about retrofitting turrets and its 135 per turret

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

I think ejg here has retrofitted turrets

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭emcor

Well dC dident want to get into a chat about the shooting etchis etc (see my previous post) people round here go nuts when you talk about shooting anything looking like a long shot. That scope is probally better than a lot of varible power scopes and is recommended for traget shooting. My reason for fitting bassistic turret is obvious - it is zeroed @ 200Y I wnat to shoot at 500Y and dial up the range, but when hunting again at perhaps a shorter rang want to know at a glance where what range it is set for. Bearing in mind its 22nr clicks up to get that range from a 200 Y zero could be easy to loose count etc...

BTW some one was on about rangefinders a little while ago - My 2 cents worth is Leica Rangemaster shlould get one around €600 mark - buy right buy once.

Thanks to the guy on the price - anyone recommend trigger pressure setting or it this a suck & see?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

emcor wrote: »
    Hi Guys
    Just on here a few days ago and thought you could help with soem more info. I have a S&B 10 x 42 Classik mounted on my .270 with a 200 Y zero - very acceptable but getting into some longer shots out to 500. I saw in the S&B site that they can retrofit ballistic turrets to any of their scopes and provide blank elevation rings - anyone got experiance of this including cost?

Also want to get some work done to my gun adjusting trigger pressure - can anyone recommend a suitable setting and someone to do the job. Its a Tikka T3 lite. It has a stainless barrell (with overbarrell supressor)and I want to get this painted black any thoughts on painting it or would a can of spray be as good. And finally I would like slightly more cheek elevation I have a cartridge sleeve on there that gives about 10mm

All feedback appriciated - e

TBH, I personally would prefer more mag than 10x42.
    The yanks love low powered scopes.
    http://www.hermannsguns.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=147&category_id=31&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=71

If I wanted a Target, and Hunting S&B
    http://www.eurooptic.com/product~description~Schmidt-Bender-PMII-5-25x56-LP-H2CMR-MRAD-DT-CCW.htm

My personal pref is biger target sight picture for bullet placement.

On my Stalking rifle I use NF NXS 5.5-22, perfect for shots on deer out to 300, and possibly a bit further on vermin (Although my long range scope is an 8-32)

my 2 cents

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

how much elevation has a 10x42 and with your 100 or 200 yard zero how much more travel have you left, have you enough to reach 500 yards, would be worth checking before you go through the hassle of getting bdc turrets fitted and then realise you have to fit a 20 moa rail or even buy a new scope
    what reticle do you have on the scope out of interest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

dCorbus wrote: »
    Welcome to the Madhouse, emcor.:D

Hopefully some of the more experienced lads will be along shortly, but for now, I'll try to answer / give my opinion on the info you're looking for (to the best of my limited knowledge, that is):

If you have a fixed mag x10 scope, I'd say you may have to get an upgrade to a higher magnification or possibly a variable mag scope for getting out the longer distances. x10 Mag seems a wee bit too low to me for a target out at 500m. I may be wrong - and if you're deer hunting that level of magnification may be perfectly fine, although (and personally I think a 500m shot on a deer is risky and not very sporting: it's deer hunting not deer sniping after all, but that's just my own opinion - if you're a damn good shot, fine: but I'd get plenty of practice in on paper first)

I'll let the Deer lads will probably answer that one far better than I.

But for anything else (i.e. bunnys, foxes, targets) at 500m personally I'd prefer something a bit stronger on the magnification front.

Could you let us know what type of shooting you're planning to do out to the longer distances?

Not sure myself about the benefit of the ballistic turrets, but again that's just MvHO. If you know your dial-ins, drops, hold-offs, and can use your reticle, I can't personally see the need for spending good money on retro-fitting the ballistic turrets to what is, after all, a fixed-mag scope.

Can't help you with that, I'm afraid, but remember one of the lads posting some info on retrofit stuff to scopes recently.

Hope that's of some limited help to you - and I'd be pretty sure someone else will be along promptly to set us both right.;):D

dc if the lad wants to use his 10 power to shoot then let him. its enough for anything he wants and it a good solid scope with good glass.
    here is a group that i shot using my 6.5x55 steyr prohunter with a 2.5-10x56 at 10 power on a light hunting barreled rifle.

this is an 8" steel plate at 500y and a 3 shot group.
    pauln85187.jpg

the only reason i changed my scope was because it dident have target turrets . the magnification and clarity was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

All feedback appriciated

So, what you really meant to say was only feedback which agreed with your original thinking appreciated?
    Well dC dident want to get into a chat about the shooting etchis etc (see my previous post) people round here go nuts when you talk about shooting anything looking like a long shot.

See which previous post? Was I supposed to check out information on another post to clarify what I should or should not post about on this thread? Sorry, emcor, that's not how it works - You post a series of questions, you give some information (but not all), you say that all feedback will be appreciated, and then you get all snippy when someone actually does give you his personal opinion and advice on some of the information/advice you said you were looking for.:confused::mad:

Next time, I'll not bother, as it's clear that you are an experienced and skilled long-range shooter already and you do not need any advice from the likes of me.:o

TBH I very rarely, if ever, shoot at 500yds so, I suppose you're right, my advice is of little or no use to such experienced long-range shots as yourself.:rolleyes:

And BTW I didn't, as you put it, "go nuts" - I merely gave what I clearly stated was my personal opinion. Which I stand by. And which BTW is kinda the point of this forum - It's not your personal Q&A session - and if you've an issue with people expressing their opinions, you are a) in the wrong place coz you best get used to it, and b) take it up with the moderators but don't be telling me what I should or should not post here.

My advice was given as my personal opinion - it was not in any way proscriptive - if you happen to disagree with me, fine - but please don't tell me what I may or may not post.

Just because you may not agree with my opinion, does not make it or the advice I have given you any less valid.
    That scope is probally better than a lot of varible power scopes and is recommended for traget shooting.

That's a sweeping statement indeed.
    I'm not disputing the fact that an S&B scope is good glass - I just expressed my personal opinion that for distances like 500yds , a higher magnification and variable scope would be handier:
    personally I'd prefer something a bit stronger on the magnification front.
    ....is what I posted, if you'd like to have a re-read of it.

Look, what I said was.......

.....I think, in my personal opinion, a higher mag scope with variable magnification would be a better job for long range targets. I still stand by that statement and opinion (from my experience).

What I did not say was that an S&B fixed 10x42 wasn't up to the job - just that a different spec of scope (S&B or otherwise - up to you, I don't care) would be a better job (which it would IMvHO).

My point is: why would you spend upwards of another €270 on a scope which at 500yds is at the raggeddy edge of its capability?

Also, BTW maybe you could explain to me how, in your experienced opinion, you'd best overcome/deal with mirage with a fixed-mag scope? Thanks.
    dc if the lad wants to use his 10 power to shoot then let him.

poulo6.5 - as far as I'm concerned the lad can use whatever the hell he wants - I was giving my best advice on whether I think, in my personal opinion, what his best option might be for shooting targets at 500yds and outward.

If he wants to use a toilet-roll with a foxes-glacier mint wrapper over the end as his scope, it's of no concern of mine. It's his choice and his decision.

But as he posted above, and I repeat, "all feedback appreciated".

Now, you all obviously have far more experience at 500yds than myself, I'll leave you to get on with your provision of mutually agreeable advice and I'll take myself off to another thread where lads might actually want the advice and feedback they requested.
    a good solid scope with good glass

Bloody good glass and yes, a solid scope. I agree - but not the optimum tool for long-range shooting in my personal opinion.
    the magnification and clarity was fine

Not to be a smartarse:rolleyes::D - but an 8in bright yellow disc as an aiming point, isn't exactly hard to spot, good glass or otherwise.;)

That is, however, a good group BTW - Kudos.:cool:
    Bearing in mind its 22nr clicks up to get that range from a 200 Y zero could be easy to loose count etc...

That's why there are numbers printed onto the turrets and horizontal stadia marks on the drum - Just so you can tell, at a glance, where you are on the turrets. Spending €270 on ballistic turrets isn't going to change that - just cost you money, which you could better spend elsewhere I'm sure.

Look, I'm not slagging off anyones kit - Just giving my advice, based on my experience (albeit quite limited, I admit) - If you don't want to take my advice, no worries, it's a free world: But please don't misconstrue what I posted or tell me what advice I may or may not provide.

If you all know it all - why are you asking for advice and input?

Advertisement