Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water off?

Options
  • 15-12-2010 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

In the park, seems the water is off. Had not seen a notice or notices to that effect. Wicklow CC enforcing the same water service shortages as Dublin city and county council I take it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

Quackhart wrote: »
    In the park, seems the water is off. Had not seen a notice or notices to that effect. Wicklow CC enforcing the same water service shortages as Dublin city and county council I take it?

Water is off in all of Charlesland according to this:

http://www.wicklow.ie/apps/wicklowbeta/News/WaterUpdate.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭neets

Yup. My water off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

Mine is on :??? CL Wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sysconp1

Well I found out about the water being turned off this morning after the other half had finished her shower! Had to happen in the one morning I had an important meeting!

Just read the MOTO e from the link above and thought what a ceo k. It isn't increased water usage, but water waste due to the incompetence of the. Council not fixing leaks. Why don't they tell it as it is? Are we in a 3rd world country?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Car2318

In the shower, head full of suds and water runs out!! :mad:
    Was there any notifications on Wicklow radio?? Or do they take a random decision. The whole country knows about Dublin's restrictions so why can't Wicklow communicate in the same way.

And if they think that I have enough water stored from 7pm-7am they are well and truly wrong. Working outisde the home means the evenings are my only time for cleaning, washing clothes etc!! In fact most people are back in their homes after 7pm so why not reduce pressure rather than cut it off completely. Am raging!!

By god I might just fill that bath tonight! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

They were speaking about it on East Coast FM last night.

My water was back on at 7 this morning. The pressure was very low though.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sysconp1

The water will be off again in Charlesland from 10pm till 7am. Aparently the council has developed a brain cell and realised that restaurants need water to wash up! Pity they can't get a second brain cell to tell it that there are other folks that have to get up early to go to work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

As a rule the Council does not communicate too much on water shortages as people then fill their baths which makes matters worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭aev

I'm up in Eden Gate. We have had our water cut off every night since the snowy weather. The earliest one of us will get home is 6pm, but it is already always off by then. I left the apartment at 10am today and no water still. It has got to the stage that the tank is completely empty. We haven't had any water for 24 hours, can't have showers or even get a drink of water!
    It would have been nice to have a little warning about this. What is more annoying is that my boyfriend is also in Eden Gate in a different apartment block and his water has not been affected at all!

When did Wicklow Co Co decide to update their website on last night's restrictions? I checked it close to 4pm yesterday and no mention of restrictions for the 16th!! I mean do they not know in advance:confused:

At least the 10pm cut off makes a little more sense but pressure was definitely very low in the hours prior to that. Also we don't get our water back til 8am (understanding that it takes a while to move along) but we have left house at that stage.

Just a little bit of reasonable notification would be nice.

Does anyone have a relatively direct contact number to their water dept? Or email address?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Water and Sewerage
    Call 0404 20296 or env@wicklowcoco.ie

Water and sanitation services. Connections, monitoring of water quality, management of schemes, pollution incidences, water metering, Water Conservation Project and water supply problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 annf

Hi

I spoke to Wicklow Co Co and they don't know why the water was turned off early. They are told by Dublin City Council when to cut off the water. The woman I spoke to me told me to contact my management company as the council has not taken the estate under their control so they have no responsibility to talk directly to me. She couldn't explain why the information the web site isn't correct. Basically she hadn't a clue and didn't care either!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

sysconp1 wrote: »
    Well I found out about the water being turned off this morning after the other half had finished her shower! Had to happen in the one morning I had an important meeting!

Just read the MOTO e from the link above and thought what a ceo k. It isn't increased water usage, but water waste due to the incompetence of the. Council not fixing leaks. Why don't they tell it as it is? Are we in a 3rd world country?

MOTO?

There are many reasons for shortages.
    It is entirely untrue to say that there is no increased water usages.
    It is still common for people (Morons) to leave their taps on to "prevent" pipes freezing. This puts huge pressure on water levels.

Second, you have damage to the network caused by freezing.
    These are hard to find. Without a proper understanding of how the network works, you will not appreciate this but it is hard to establish where leaks in the network are occurring.
    It is difficult to find the sites of the leakage (when they are not obvious) this coupled with the amount of water leaks makes a very big job.
    Specially considering the age of much of the water network.

Calling this incompetence is ignorant and lazy.

They are fixing leaks, just as Dublin City Council are and South Dublin and Dun Laoghaire county councils are fixing leaks.

Finally, during the cold war we were considered an ally of the U.S. and so are a first world country.
    Also according to the UN and IMF economic definitions we are a developed economy. I.e. First world.
    Calling us a 3rd world country is populist alarmist nonsense.
    Ask someone from a 3rd world country who has to hike miles to get a bucket of dirty water every damn day what they think of your assertion.

Just got a response from Wicklow Co. Co - nice lady

Water restrictions for the Charlesland area will continue tonight and tomorrow. The situation will be reviewed again on Monday.
    Please find attached update for today.

The website is also updated - our restrictions are from 10pm to 8am tonight and tomorrow.

Suppose its family baths and showers for the weekend :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Cranipea

Hi folks,
    Looks like water off again in the park last night but i'm wondering should a tank not hold enough for a shower?! And does the dishwasher use water from the tank? Had it on last night as didnt realise water off but half way through shower this morning water was gone. I dont think the dishwasher would have used the water in the tank but maybe i'm wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Most modern water installations provide 'indirect' cold and hot water to wash basins, toilets, washing machines, etc. You have mains supply at the sink in the kitchen to provide a fresh water supply. The only other connection off the mains is at the cold water storage tank to fill it! You might find, due to lazy plumbing, that no indirect cold feed is provided to the kitchen for the washing machines/dishwashers, and those appliances have a mains feed supplied to them. So yes, depending on the consumption level of your dishwasher, it more than likely has drained your water storage tank!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Cranipea

Thanks a mill for that. I'll make sure not to use dishwasher tonight so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Astrofluff I would suggest washing mating and dishwashers in charlesland are all off the mains supply in the kitchen not off the tank

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

@Matt, I don't want to swerve off topic, but are you saying that in Charlesland the work is lazy as I described or for better reasons you shouldn't have the installation with indirect feeds?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

erm... i think both.....

I would have through the dishwasher and washing machine should be off the mains. But in charlesland it might be done like that because of laziness.

I know that mine are fed off the cold water suppy in the kitchen which is the mains. Everything else flows from the Tank.

otherwise the water pump in the hot press would be going 90 when you have the dishwasher and or washing machine off which would probably break them.

• Advertisement

Right I am officially fed up with the restrictions.
    We are at the back of Charlesland so seem to lose our water first and receive it back last. I get 30 mins each evening to use water and then it returns when I am heading for work!

My main concern is that I think we have an air bubble (or something) in our water tank. I am convinced the tank is full but when I go to shower in the morning it stops after 5 seconds and we have nothing. It starts again once the water is turned back on by Council but the water that returns is hot which means it comes from our tank and was in the tank at 6am in the morning when our heating was on. Its like it needs the pressure to work :confused:

Does anyone know what is happening?

Already ranted to the Council about the 7pm switch off which I believe is ridiculous for families who are at work all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Wailin

Had the same problem also with the shower, once the water was turned back on only hot water came through, no cold. Air blockage somewhere so just turn on your cold taps upstairs (including the shower) and this should blow out the air blockage, you'll hear it happening.

Does anyone know why the tap water is cloudy when poured into a glass, then clears from the bottom up like gas? No problem drinking it, just wondering what causes it. Only happens during periods when the water is being turned on and off all the time.

I am amazed by the amount of people who post on here who do not know the layout of their plumbing and heating systems in their own house. It is very important to familiarise yourself with your possesions.
    Some houses may use an electric shower off the mains which will not work when the mains is switched off. Some will also use electric showers off the storage tank which will work until all the water is drained from tank regardless of the mains being switched off. Others are using showers off the hot water cylinder( HOT) and storage tank (COLD) which will continue to work after mains is switched off until all the water in the storage tank is drained off.

John,

all of the houses in charlesland have showers that run off a water pump connected to the tank. These pumps are prone to locking up when there's an air lock in them.

The best way i've found to clear it in my place is take the top off the showerhead, turm om the tap thats not working properly and blow really hard into it. This forces the airlock back up into the tank and will eventually help clear the water path through.

Thanks for that Matt, but does that mean when the mains is turned off some houses are running their water and emptying the storage tank which then causes the air lock after mains comes back on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Thanks for that Matt, but does that mean when the mains is turned off some houses are running their water and emptying the storage tank which then causes the air lock after mains comes back on ?

YES

Advertisement