Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone Travel with Singapore Air to Oz?

Options
  • 15-12-2010 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Just wondering has anyone travelled with Singapore Air recently and do they enforce the 20kg ecomony baggage allowance they have on their website? The last time I travelled with them was in 2007 and you coulde get away with 30kg+ no problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

sonic.trip wrote: »
    Just wondering has anyone travelled with Singapore Air recently and do they enforce the 20kg ecomony baggage allowance they have on their website? The last time I travelled with them was in 2007 and you coulde get away with 30kg+ no problem.

Just traveled with them about 2 months ago to Sydney, yes 20kg is enforced strictly and note Aer Lingus enforce this strictly aswell if you are flying to Heathrow or Amsterdam first. BUT, you can have one carry on bag at 10kg.

Basically I had 2 bags at 15kgs each. They were looking to charge me 20 yoyos per kg extra!. The best part was I had 3 hops. Dublin, Amsterdam, Singapore, Sydney. So that was 20 yoyos per extra kg per flight!.
    So 20euro x 10kg extra x 3 flights = 600 :eek:

So what I did was took 5kg out of each bag and took it as carry on luggage,
    which left 20kg checked in and 10kg in carry on so a total of 30kg. Note it was a complete pain in the balls unpacking and splitting luggage at Dubin airport, so get a small 10kg carry on bag and pack it before you go. Obviously it must be able to fit in the overheads.

Edit: Also recommend that your carry on luggage has wheels, because it will become a burden during transfers if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

Feelgood wrote: »
    Just traveled with them about 2 months ago to Sydney, yes 20kg is enforced strictly and note Aer Lingus enforce this strictly aswell if you are flying to Heathrow or Amsterdam first. BUT, you can have one carry on bag at 10kg.

Basically I had 2 bags at 15kgs each. They were looking to charge me 20 yoyos per kg extra!. The best part was I had 3 hops. Dublin, Amsterdam, Singapore, Sydney. So that was 20 yoyos per extra kg per flight!.
    So 20euro x 10kg extra x 3 flights = 600 :eek:

So what I did was took 5kg out of each bag and took it as carry on luggage,
    which left 20kg checked in and 10kg in carry on so a total of 30kg. Note it was a complete pain in the balls unpacking and splitting luggage at Dubin airport, so get a small 10kg carry on bag and pack it before you go. Obviously it must be able to fit in the overheads.

Edit: Also recommend that your carry on luggage has wheels, because it will become a burden during transfers if not.

Really :eek:, I know airlines are getting stricter but the last time I travelled there was no problem (suppose that was 3years ago!). I'm glad I found out sooner rather than later anyway. I forgot the transfer with aer lingus to heatrhow will be the usual pain, for some reason because the bag is being transferred to Australia I thought there might be a little give, stupidly!

I thinik I will invest in a 10kg carry on bag.

Thanks for your reply and tips feelgood.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

Will be travelling with them in 2 or so weeks so will be watching this thread.

in-cabin baggage for economy is not to exceed 7 kg is it not

http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_UK/content/before/travelfaq/baggage.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Was 7kg when I flew with them within the past year, but I boarded with 10+ each time without any hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

We moved over a few months ago and when we checked in at dublin with aer lingus we were over by about 9-10 kgs for each bag (we had 3 suitcases for three of us), when the nice girl realised we were moving permanently she said its ok and put them through. She said something like "its not everyday you emigrate and its not as if you are going on a 2 week holiday to the canaries" or words to that effect.
    She said we wouldn't have any hassle with singapore airlines in london or in singapore as she put down that the weight was ok and they don't weigh them again in each city, we got our three boarding cards aswell which was great.
    We were 4 hours early and the first to check in at dublin for that flight so I don't know if that had a bearing on it and also she was one of those very rare extremely friendly aer lingus girls (most of them have become snotty bitches in recent years in my opinion!!), it was nice to relax after that as we were so stressed that day with the big move upon us and were worried we would have to fork out for the extra weight.
    Singapore also give you double baggage allowance if you are going out for the first time on a permanent visa but unfortunately we had already validated it a year before. As it worked out it was fine in the end.
    The flight was excellent, the food,service etc was fab!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

sonic.trip wrote: »

Alot of the time it seems to depend on the person you get at check in . I traveled with my wife n little girl back in Nov 2009 and the girl was very nice on the desk . We were a few kgs over but she didn't make any thing of it . Plus we always make sure we're nearly the first to book in as that helps too .

Singapore Bagage Allowence - One check bag of 20kg each
    http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_UK/content/before/plan/cabin_baggage.jsp??v=-1379245027&

singapore%20bagage.jpg

Also bring one bag of 7kg in cabin

singapore%20cabin.jpg

Also if you have a baby you can bring a baby stroller extra to you baggage allowence. If you book a seat for them you can also bring n approved car seat . Trust me it's well worth booking an extra seat if you have a baby bewteen 1 - 2 . Plus if you do it means you can then bring an extra 20kg bag for that seat .

You will only be able to use the Car Seat on the London to Singapore and Singapore to Australia legs of the journey . As the Dublin to London don't allow it .

What you can do is don't check in stoller or car seat as checked baggage . Just ask for tag to be put on them and bring them to the gate with you . Don't heed if the checking person says you can't do this . You can Singapore airline will accpet the car seat . At the gate they will put both in the hold and given them back to you when you get off the plane in London.

(NOTE MKAE SURE THE CHECKIN PERSON IN DUBLIN DOESN'T CHECK in the BABY STROLLER OR CAR SEAT AS CHECKED BAGGAGE OR LIKE MY WIFE YOU WON'T GET THEM TILL YOU GET TO AUSTRAILA)

As for the 7kg cabin bags . You are supposed to only have one carry on bag each . To be honest with you the less you can bring with you the btter becasue when you get off the plane in Singapore now you have to bring every thing off the plane with you and then go through security again when reboarding .

I did notice coming back the last time in Melbourne that they were more strict there with baggage weight n size .

It really comes down to who checks you in . You might get someone that's in a bad mood n charge you for extra KGS . But one or 2 kgs over on checked baggage seems to be ok . Again one or 2 over on cabin baggage the same . It's more the size of the cabin baggage that's the problem . Keep it to the sizes asked and you'll be ok .

My wife and little girl flew back last month to Melbourne . The person at checkin in Dublin was no help at all . Even messed up the checkin of the stroller n car seat so my wife didn't get them till she landed in Melbourne . Even after I had aked her not to check them in as we could bring them to the gate and use them on each leg of the trip that way . She didn't know this .

What I did find is that people in Singapore were so much more helpful than in Dublin or London .

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

Thanks folks, two very informative posts there, really is dependent on the person you get checking in isn't it?

You would like to bring more in case you do get one of them, and then don't in case they try charge you-catch 22 :confused:

I've flown with singpaore before and found them to be amzing throughout. Really looking forward to stopping there for a few hours too for some duty free shopping :)

I booked to go on the A380 as I really wanted to fly on it, but looks like it might be changed to a boeing seen as they are changing all the engines :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭IrishEmperor

yeah, I got cut off after only my 4th whiskey & coke on the first leg of my return flight though, super camp air attendant was afraid I mightn't be allowed on my connecting flight... I was a long way off from taking my pants off and dancing down the aisles :P
    aside from that, the legroom, food, entertainment, service etc was all grand
    gYRdn.jpg

Advertisement