Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no grant

Options
  • 15-12-2010 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

hi folks

think i had two of my grant payments by this time last year..

anyone get the second payment yet?

anyone else not got it yet?

thanks,

G.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Lou45

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Gardoggle

Lou45 wrote: »

thanks Lou
    I'm Dublin city council so theres no date supplied, should be in account though if i use the dates from other councils as a reference point..

oh-oh! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Lou45

No probs!

Hopefully it'll be there :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Dublin City Council pays it in 3 instalments, so you'll probably be waiting until the new year. It's the same with South Dublin CC. Many of the other authorities pay the grant weekly or monthly instead of in lump sums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Gardoggle

Dublin City Council pays it in 3 instalments, so you'll probably be waiting until the new year. It's the same with South Dublin CC. Many of the other authorities pay the grant weekly or monthly instead of in lump sums.
    ok thanks prof

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CrazyFish

Second instalment for South Dublin is normally after the New year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Wicklow is in the new year too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I'm not sure I understand, how will they pay it into my bank account? I never gave them the details. This is my first year applying for the grant, are you saying they're not even going to contact me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭davi78

I applied through Wicklow CC in August and am still waiting for my first installment. Many many phone calls later (but only on Tuesday and Thursday mornings as that's the only time they'll take calls) revealed that I will be getting both my first and second installment together. When I last spoke to them (Tuesday morning) I was told it would definately be in UCD by the end of the week.

My question is, how long does it take UCD to process these cheques? I've a plan to go to wherever they distribute the cheques from (Any info on this secret location would be great!) on Friday and inform the nice person that I've been told by my landlord that I will soon be chucked out on my ear because I'm 3 months behind on my rent, a fact that Wicklow CC don't seem too bothered about.

Has anyone got any idea where I should go to plead for my cheque or what the usual proceedure is?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

davi78 wrote: »
    My question is, how long does it take UCD to process these cheques? I've a plan to go to wherever they distribute the cheques from (Any info on this secret location would be great!) on Friday and inform the nice person that I've been told by my landlord that I will soon be chucked out on my ear because I'm 3 months behind on my rent, a fact that Wicklow CC don't seem too bothered about.

Has anyone got any idea where I should go to plead for my cheque or what the usual proceedure is?

Thanks

Secret location? I thought it was common knowledge they are given out in the Tierney Building.

Your story does suck and I commiserate as I got my grant from Wicklow too. The secret is to apply early. They put the deadline for applications in WCC for a reason!

• Advertisement

I would have thought that submitting an application shortly after I got accepted to college would have been early enough. I suppose not though.

They always have a deadline written on them to ensure that people apply early. As far as I remember, it used to have an NB saying any applications after that date are subject to delays. When you get your form next summer, check the date and get it back ASAP.

Just letting you know so that you don't do it again in second year.

They always have a deadline written on them to ensure that people apply early. As far as I remember, it used to have an NB saying any applications after that date are subject to delays. When you get your form next summer, check the date and get it back ASAP.

Just letting you know so that you don't do it again in second year.

If you re-read what I wrote to require this reply, you will see that I said I applied just after I got my letter of acceptance. The deadline for Wicklow CC is 31st August. You seem to have a firm grasp of the how things work so I'm sure you realise that my application was submitted in plenty of time.

I do not appreciate your assumption that I applied late. My grant has been held up because of clerical difficulties, not because of my own ineptitude or inability to follow a calendar.

You might consider not making assumptions, it makes you seem arrogant and generally neither of these qualities are appreciated or considered acceptable in normal society.

If you re-read what I wrote to require this reply, you will see that I said I applied just after I got my letter of acceptance. The deadline for Wicklow CC is 31st August. You seem to have a firm grasp of the how things work so I'm sure you realise that my application was submitted in plenty of time.

I do not appreciate your assumption that I applied late. My grant has been held up because of clerical difficulties, not because of my own ineptitude or inability to follow a calendar.

You might consider not making assumptions, it makes you seem arrogant and generally neither of these qualities are appreciated or considered acceptable in normal society.

Wow way to over react. If you re-read my first reply I just said "apply early". Your reply to that led to a simple misunderstanding where I thought you may have applied after the deadline. I did also give you other information you didn't know including the "secret" location of the grant cheques.

You would think I had launched the Fourth Reich judging by your post, instead of making a simple misunderstanding. I was trying you help you.

Allow me to apologise, I had such a bad exam today and there were some wires crossed between us.

I think this situation may be avoided if we would all just read things properly....mea culpa.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭number_1

You would think I had launched the Fourth Reich judging by your post, instead of making a simple misunderstanding. I was trying you help you.

Don't pander to his ravings.

The necessary tax documents for the application were available from January 2010. The closing date for late applications to the CAO was in May 2010. There was absolutely no obstacle to prevent candidates from submitting the HEG application after May 01st (a clear 4 months before the closing date). If a candidate later avails of the CAO's change of mind facility then they send a letter to the HEG office informing them of their new course choices, and the form is amended appropriately.

If a candidate waited for over 3 and a half months and submitted their application after Wednesday 23rd of August (just 8 days before the closing date) then they have no right to expect that their application be processed before other candidates who will have applied months earlier.

The Wicklow HEG office (correctly) operate a first come first served policy when dealing with applications. If you want to be paid first, then apply first. If you apply last, you're paid last.

You correctly advised him to apply earlier next time. No doubt he will log on for another rant to bitch about how hard done by he was, seeing as he got his application in on time (many months after everyone else).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Eager_Beaver

Completely inaccurate statement above. Wicklow CC do not allow students to apply for a grant without a college acceptance letter, which as we all know, come out in August. Fair enough if people apply early for 2nd year, but 1st years face an unenviable wait, compounded by the ignorance and annoyance demonstrated above.:mad:

Completely inaccurate statement above. Wicklow CC do not allow students to apply for a grant without a college acceptance letter, which as we all know, come out in August. Fair enough if people apply early for 2nd year, but 1st years face an unenviable wait, compounded by the ignorance and annoyance demonstrated above.:mad:

No it is your statement that is completely inaccurate. Applications are accepted once you have applied to the CAO.

http://www.wicklow.ie/Apps/WicklowBeta/HEG/WhereToApply.aspx
    Where do I Apply?

At this time of year you have no idea where you will be going to College. However, you have filled up the CAO form with preferences for various courses and colleges.

If you have applied for all Certificate or Diploma Courses, you should address your application to County Wicklow V.E.C, PO Box 15, Wentworth Place, Wicklow Town. Tel: 0404-60530
    If you have Degree Courses (Level 8 upwards) as your preferences, you should apply to Wicklow County Council, County Buildings, Station Road, Wicklow Town
    Do not worry if you send your application to the wrong Authority as we will forward it to the relevant Authority as necessary.

If you do this, 95% of your application will be processed by the stage you get your acceptance letter. Then all you need do is forward course acceptance form and everything will be sorted. Instead of waiting until you get the acceptance letter and starting it all from scratch.

You are talking about the Course Acceptance forms which can be forwarded when you get accepted.
    http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9527/course-acceptance-forms/index.html
    Course Acceptance Forms
    You will be asked to fill out a course acceptance form in connection with your grant application.

When you have accepted your place on an approved course, you will need to fill in the course acceptance form that applies to you. The completed form should be returned to the local authority or VEC where you applied for a student grant.

If you have applied for a course but have not yet accepted your place on the course, do not wait until you accept a place to make an application for the student grant.

Completely wrong im afraid. Your application is put on hold until all forms are in, then put at the back. You could finish your paperback on the same day someone else sends in a completed form and still not come out before them.

Sorry to be harsh but the info your putting out there is simply wrong

And i know this from personal experience with Wicklow CC so im not just rambling on for the sake of it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭number_1

Eager_Beaver, you are wholly and completely wrong. Every element of your above posts is factually incorrect. parker kent is correct.

Sorry to be blunt about it, but it's important that people thinking of applying in 2011 are not given incorrect information in this regard.

When I was in sixth year, I applied for the HEG in April. I received a letter from the county council in June stating that my application had been approved, and that I just needed to forward on confirmation of my acceptance in August. I did this and received my first cheque in the very first batch within one week of the start of term. I may have applied early, but I was far from the first applicant (my reference number wasn't YY/001!). I applied early every single year, and every year without fail my cheques arrived in the first batches. This includes applying months before the July deadline for grant renewals, before exam results were out, and forwarding on exam results as soon as they become available. The HEG office encourage people to be proactive about this so that their workload can be more evenly spread over time rather than getting it all in an avalanche in August.

The only reason I can think of why you might be making statements like those above is that you don't want other people to apply early in the hope that they won't be above you on the list. I hope that this isn't the case.

PS. I noticed you've just joined this month, are you davi78?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Nettles

I have it very good authority that the wicklow cheques were sent to ucd last thursday, I asked the student desk today to be told that the man who deals with them isn't in, doesn't know if he'll be in and it's unlikely that i'll get it this side of christmas! I explained that I really need the money and that i know the cheque's there and she told me to e-mail the fees office, which i did and which they ignored. Don't they know it's christmas, and that people have to live and it's not their money!!!!!
    I applied through Wicklow CC in August and am still waiting for my first installment. Many many phone calls later (but only on Tuesday and Thursday mornings as that's the only time they'll take calls) revealed that I will be getting both my first and second installment together. When I last spoke to them (Tuesday morning) I was told it would definately be in UCD by the end of the week.

Thanks

Completely wrong im afraid. Your application is put on hold until all forms are in, then put at the back. You could finish your paperback on the same day someone else sends in a completed form and still not come out before them.

Sorry to be harsh but the info your putting out there is simply wrong

Given that I worked for UCD at the Student Desk, have strong knowledge of the grants system, got my own grant from Wicklow County Council (which I got in the first available week by following the above advice)and have posted publicly available information that explicitly supports my points, I am pretty confident that I am correct.

Agree to disagree i suppose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Jack Bracken

You can disagree with gravity as well if you like, but your feet will stay firmly planted to the ground.

Or perhaps not in your case. ;)

Issue settled, and you felt the need for a sarcastic comment...

Go get laid...

Advertisement