Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Box for binmen

Options
  • 15-12-2010 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi, anyone know if you give christmas bonus to Binmen anymore? I asked my OH and she just laughed at me but is it the done thing in wicklow/ greystones? Just moved in in the last year and didn't have to think about it before now but remember it being the done thing when I was younger.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Aww go on, give them a tip, the spirit of Christmas is still alive and well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I'm sure we pay quite enough for them to collect the bins as it is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

A hip flask would be nice

The binmen can have a quick sip of whiskey, warm their souls on a cold winters morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

I always tip our binmen not least because I leave out way more rubbish than my wheelie bin can hold in the weeks after Christmas ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

no tip,i don't 'tip' people who earn more money than i do for a service i already pay for and btw i'm no scab

i remember as a kid they'd actually call in to the house and ask "is ur ma there?",
    "no me ma told me to tell ya she's not in"

• Advertisement

heavyballs wrote: »
    no tip,i don't 'tip' people who earn more money than i do for a service i already pay for and btw i'm no scab

i remember as a kid they'd actually call in to the house and ask "is ur ma there?",

Yes, that was in the days before privatisation and the local authority workers almost demanded a tip

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

I tip for service 'above and beyond' , everyone else gets paid by their employer.My postman has made trojan efforts during the snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭napathy

heavyballs wrote: »

Ha, there is a six year old in my house that is guaranteed to say something like that as well!
    Huntthe wrote: »
    I tip for service 'above and beyond' , everyone else gets paid by their employer.My postman has made trojan efforts during the snow.

Bugger never even thought about the postman! Think I'll just hide behind the couch until January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

I just find this amusing.
    Why on earth would I leave a tip.

do you leave a tip for the post man ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the service used to be "free", and was also a much dirtier job - hence people were happy to tip.

Now we have to pay for it, and the job involves pushing a wheelie bin onto a ramp and pressing a button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭vinpaul

Since refuse collection was privatised I no longer tip bin men. The crews don't seem to be as regular as the one's I used to have.
    I always tip Postman as he is obliging in every way. When going on holidays he will hold post for me and if I'm leaving early I can always meet him earlier on his route to collect mail from him.

loyatemu wrote: »
    the service used to be "free", and was also a much dirtier job - hence people were happy to tip.

Now we have to pay for it, and the job involves pushing a wheelie bin onto a ramp and pressing a button.

where was it free

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it was provided by the council, I don't know about Wicklow but it was certainly rolled into the rates in other authorities (and effectively free after rates were abolished in the late-70s).

When the councils in Dublin started charging (10 years ago or so) various left-wing politicians organised campaigns of non-payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Dunphus

Dr.Silly wrote: »

Yes, we do

loyatemu wrote: »
    it was provided by the council, I don't know about Wicklow but it was certainly rolled into the rates in other authorities (and effectively free after rates were abolished in the late-70s).

When the councils in Dublin started charging (10 years ago or so) various left-wing politicians organised campaigns of non-payment.

In the past in most areas of Greystones there was a ir£180 annual charge to each householder, £60 for water, £60 for Sewage and £60 for bin collection. This was at a time when there was no water charges in Dublin and certain parts of Greystones.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

Dr.Silly wrote: »
    I just find this amusing.
    Why on earth would I leave a tip.

This year, yes, if you had seem what he had to contend with to get to me.Won't be tipping the bin men.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    where was it free
    It was certainly free in Bray until about the mid 90s

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Growing up the England, there would be the tradition of tipping the bin men. But in those days they were physically emptying the bins, and were regulars on the routes. They'd also take extra though at times, if you were a tipper!

The postie will be getting a tip though.

Advertisement