Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black marks on walls over radiator

• 15-12-2010 10:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got any idea why my walls and ceiling over some of my radiators have turned black?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

heat rises dirt, its a fact...It happens over a time. You could get a radiator cover or put a shelf over radiator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭thefizz

Its bloody frustrating as the problem does not exist in my brothers home yet he doesn't clean as often as I do :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jessiebean

I have this problem too but only in the last year or so. Ive heard having a matt paint on walls doesnt help n lighting candles in the room causes it. I never had this problem before wen room was painted with, I think, vinyl soft sheen paint. Maybe there is some truth to it after all.

I also heard the same regarding different paints but my paints are mid-sheen (I think) and the dirt still showed. I have recently re-painted and fitted radiator covers so maybe they will help as the heat is directed more outwards rather than straight up the walls. Time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jessiebean

I was considering re-painting because it looks so bad. Not sure wat to do now. Thought it was something to do with the paint I had used. Its very annoying considering its not that long since I painted the room. Hope the radiator cover works for you.

• Advertisement

Actually I went to change a battery in a clock yesterday and I noticed the dirt when I took it down. I fitted a radiator cover under the clock 18 months ago so problem still exists :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

are you drying clother on the radiator?

Goodne wrote: »
    are you drying clother on the radiator?

No, never have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

The "technical" term for this is pattern staining, rad covers or shelves over storage heaters should help minimise the problem but unless you eliminate the source of dust (impossible) it is always likely to occur.

Advertisement