Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Static vs Dynamic

• 15-12-2010 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Just wondering what kind of stretchs you incorporate into your class/training session!

When I was a young fella and coming up I never heard of dynamic stretching but now it's all the craze and static is a no no because apparently it overstrectchs the muscles and they can become elongated and loose some of their elasticity! Doesn't seem to have done me any harm. Of course now I use lots of dyanmic in my classes because everyone is all about it but the thing is I find that it just doesn't get to those hard to reach places.

I find a combination of the 2 works good. Lots of dynamic during the warmup period going into more static stuff when good and warm ( no more of the old school standing on peoples legs and hoisting their legs to the roof with their backs to the wall of course :D). Also use static after a heavy session to get rid of the old lactic acid.

Interested to hear peoples opinions
    Regards
    Darren

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

dynamic stretching pre-workout and static stretching post-workout both for mma & weight training

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Combination of both, although dynamic and static are broad terms for different kinds stretching, one meaning without movement and the other with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

As the lads have said above BUT static stretches SHOULD NOT be held for more than 3-5secs after a warm up, if at all. However, they are a very good idea to utilise during your cool down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

what happens if you hold them for 6 seconds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭HammerHeadGym

dynamic stretching pre-workout and static stretching post-workout both for mma & weight training

and muay thai. Also, Im lead to beleive the irish rugby team train like this too.

• Advertisement

what happens if you hold them for 6 seconds?

Your willy will fall off. Don't learn this the hard way ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Dave Joyce wrote: »
    As the lads have said above BUT static stretches SHOULD NOT be held for more than 3-5secs after a warm up, if at all. However, they are a very good idea to utilise during your cool down.

Why is this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Larianne wrote: »
    Why is this?

Hi Larianne.

Is the current evidence still saying that stretching/warming up doesn't affect the amount of injuries?

I know there was a bit meta analysis a couple of years back that found no benefit for anything other than the warm down.

But I figure you'd be the person to know if there's been anything else in the literature since.

Hope you're well :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

Why is this?

Personally I don't like doing ANY static stretching just after warming up and use dynamic stretches but in simple terms, static stretching gets the body ready to cool down and the body relaxes rather than preparing it for vigarious activity/training.

Advertisement