Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transferring data from old pc

• 15-12-2010 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi all,
    What is to best way to transfer data from my old desktop (xp system pc)to a new desktop windows 7 pc,
    any assistance would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

By "data" what exactly do you mean? Did you have an outlook account on it (.pst file). Or is it just files (music/video/word) that you want to copy/keep?

If your new machine could take it I'd suggest setting it up as a slave drive. Either that or just get a 'caddy' for your old hard drive and manually copy what you want over to the win 7 one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,504 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There is an absolutely brilliant data migration assistant called 'Easy Transfer' which is built in to Windows 7 and which will copy all of the data from an older desktop over to your new system.

Do you have a broadband modem with four Ethernet ports? If you do I recommend connecting the old and new machines to the modem with cables and tell Windows 7 to migrate all of the data from the old machine over.

My sister had a Windows XP desktop, she bought a Windows 7 desktop and I was all setup with a 1TB external hard drive to manually copy all of the data from the old machine to the HDD and then to the new machine. When I booted up the new machine, both the old and new machines were connected to her Eircom modem via Ethernet cables.

The Windows 7 machine came up with a screen saying that it could see an older machine on the network and did I want to migrate the data, when I said 'Yes' it asked me to insert a USB memory stick, it put a program on the memory stick which it said to install in the old machine which I did and to cut a long story short the process moved all of the data (including Outlook folders) from the XP desktop to the Win7 desktop, including all three users and their messy desktops. I didn't have to do anything, it was simply amazing how the tools works compared to the old fashioned way.

Connect both machines to a modem via Ethernet cables and on the Win7 desktop start programs/accessories/systems tools/Windows easy transfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

Simplest way would be to remove the disk from the old computer and install it on to the new one. Then boot up and you will see the old disk. Copy to your heart's content. When all is done you put the disk back into the old machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dermotp

Chin Grin,Coylemj,and bette,thanks for your quick replies,
    i have upc wireless broadband 15mb,i want to transfer every file,folder,applications,word,powerpoint,excel all except the xp operating system,
    Coylemj is it possible to use easy transfer with a wireless system,
    my old system is a Dell 3000 Dimension and i,m going to purchase a inspirion 580 pc.
    thanks again for your help.

Advertisement