Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feckin Snow

Options
  • 15-12-2010 11:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Not so much feckin snow as feckin snow that will compact and freeze solid on unsalted roads within hours of falling. It will also drift southwards in the stiff northerly airflow and will cause some snowdrifts after falling. UNLIKE the last lot Connemara will get more than East Galway.

Boards.ie Weather Forum snow warning issued 2145h Dec 15th, 2010 -- amounts in cms -- expected regional averages -- more may fall on higher ground in each region, less near shores and urban centres.

REGION .............. THURS .... FRI ..... SAT ..... SUN ..... MON

Ulster ..................... 08 ...... 07 ...... 10 ..... 10 ...... 03

Connacht ................ 05 ...... 10 ...... 05 ..... 05 ...... 02

West Munster, Clare .. 03 ..... 03 ...... 07 ..... 12 ...... 10

East Munster ............ 01 ..... 02 ...... 10 ..... 10 ...... 08

inland southeast ....... 02 ..... 03 ...... 12 ..... 18 ...... 10

Dublin/Wicklow/Meath. 01 ..... 02 ...... 15 ..... 15 ...... 10

rest of Leinster ........ 03 ..... 04 ...... 12 ..... 12 ...... 07

Notes
    _______

Snow Thursday-Friday mostly in passing squally snow showers that may merge into longer periods of snow in counties such as Mayo, Roscommon, Sligo, Donegal, Derry, Tyrone, Fermanagh, parts of Galway and Clare, and that may apply to adjacent parts of other counties at times

Snow Saturday-Monday mostly from organized areas of snow that may sweep in from east or northeast, heavy bands likely from about Meath southwest to Laois and Tipps, also in Dublin, Wicklow, Wexford, Waterford, Carlow, Kilkenny, Kildare, but this could spread further north and west in other bands crossing Ulster and moving southwest.

If you got heavy snow in the last round, you'll probably get heavy snow in this round, but, if you escaped snow in the last round, you may get at least some snow in this round, and parts of Mayo to Fermanagh could start off this round with heavy snow.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    If you got heavy snow in the last round, you'll probably get heavy snow in this round, but, if you escaped snow in the last round, you may get at least some snow in this round, and parts of Mayo to Fermanagh could start off this round with heavy snow.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Sooooo....Where getting snow yea?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Sooooo....Where getting snow yea?:o

Everywhere it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

not sure weather this is good news or bad news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

I'll believe it when I see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

We're going water-skiing and boating over the weekend - hope it snows :D :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Whoohooo White Christmas...
    Stock up on the Red Wine, Port and Dark Rum..Put the kettle on and Enjoy the show :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭LowOdour

How will the snow compare to the snow that fell on the Tuesday 3oth November? What time today are we expecting it in galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

LowOdour wrote: »
    How will the snow compare to the snow that fell on the Tuesday 3oth November? What time today are we expecting it in galway?

It may be slightly less white - but it will be just as cold - with slightly bigger flakes. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

It doesn't look like much is happening on the rainfall radar animation here:

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp?ani=y

The whole country is very clear of cloud cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Ah bless. That is the kind of faith in the science of weather forecasting we just don't see in Ireland. With good reason. :)

Ah bless. That is the kind of faith in the science of weather forecasting we just don't see in Ireland. With good reason. :)
    People, stop confusing me with your subtle answers! Just hit me with full on!

People, stop confusing me with your subtle answers! Just hit me with full on!

That's just it. No one knows exact times and how it'll compare to last time. :)

According to rte weather forecast today we should get some snow from early tonight onwards.We'll get a little tomorrow and that was as far as they went. That could just as easily mean that we'll get none at all though.

That's just it. No one knows exact times and how it'll compare to last time. :)

According to rte weather forecast today we should get some snow from early tonight onwards.We'll get a little tomorrow and that was as far as they went. That could just as easily mean that we'll get none at all though.
    But on one of the threads in the weather forum they posted
    the arctic front is about to sweep through Ulster, and I'm expecting it to reach Dublin to Galway by 1230 to 1300h

I would be delighted if it held off until around 8 or so.....that would be early enough for me!

The upside of this is we may get some more humourous weather updates from RTÉ

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Are people saying Snow is widely available?

The upside of this is we may get some more humourous weather updates from RTÉ

Yeah. The best part of the last bad weather was that we had nearly a week where the whole country,tv news,papers and people, all forgot about the recession and the country teetering on the brink of ruin. Instead it we were bombarded with pictures of snowmen and pretty landscapes on the headlines. Ironically even road accident numbers fell during the period. Maybe snow is exactly what we need.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

Please be wrong Mr. Greaney...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

its snowing!!! well very very lightly. just out for a walk and jez its cold out there...reckon its coming tonight slowly/lightly but surely!!

Frost and snow is hundred times better then rain and wind -and its brighter outside! I hope its coming...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

softmee wrote: »
    Frost and snow is hundred times better then rain and wind -and its brighter outside! I hope its coming...
    you must be kidding me. i wont be able to go 50miles to where my parents are buried to put a wreath on their grave for christmas if it gets so bad that the roads are frozen . no one will be able to move . no gritters , no salt. im panicking because of it.

cats.life wrote: »
    you must be kidding me. i wont be able to go 50miles to where my parents are buried to put a wreath on their grave for christmas if it gets so bad that the roads are frozen . no one will be able to move . no gritters , no salt. im panicking because of it.

I think they would be more happy to se you safe at home..thinking warm about them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Yesterdays Forecast, update below. Connacht, notably, is looking at more snow than was predicted.
    Boards.ie Weather Forum snow warning issued 2145h Dec 15th, 2010 -- amounts in cms -- expected regional averages -- more may fall on higher ground in each region, less near shores and urban centres.

REGION .............. THURS .... FRI ..... SAT ..... SUN ..... MON

Ulster ..................... 08 ...... 07 ...... 10 ..... 10 ...... 03

Connacht ................ 05 ...... 10 ...... 05 ..... 05 ...... 02

West Munster, Clare .. 03 ..... 03 ...... 07 ..... 12 ...... 10

East Munster ............ 01 ..... 02 ...... 10 ..... 10 ...... 08

inland southeast ....... 02 ..... 03 ...... 12 ..... 18 ...... 10

Dublin/Wicklow/Meath. 01 ..... 02 ...... 15 ..... 15 ...... 10

rest of Leinster ........ 03 ..... 04 ...... 12 ..... 12 ...... 07

UPDATE from Boards.ie Weather Forum snow warning issued 1845h Dec 16th, 2010

snowfall in cms.

Tonight refers to the period now to 0800h Friday, which may be one reason why Friday (0800-2400h) amounts appear reduced.

REGION ............ TONIGHT .... FRI ..... SAT ..... SUN ..... MON

Ulster ..................... 05 ...... 05 ...... 10 ..... 10 ...... 03

Connacht ................ 05 ...... 08 ...... 07 ..... 08 ...... 02

West Munster, Clare .. 03 ..... 03 ...... 05 ..... 12 ...... 07

East Munster ............ 01 ..... 04 ...... 10 ..... 12 ...... 08

inland southeast ....... 01 ..... 04 ...... 12 ..... 18 ...... 10

Dublin/Wicklow/Meath. 01 ..... 03 ...... 12 ..... 20 ...... 10

rest of Leinster ........ 03 ..... 04 ...... 12 ..... 15 ...... 07

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Don't know what it's like in the city but it's been snowing here (near Loughrea) for the past hour and a half. And it sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Sticking here too but there's only been a tiny fall yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

stopped snowing now, but the ground is white again :(
    feck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Falling steadily here now, not heavy on the ground but definately there!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Whereabouts are you?
    I'm in the college and nothing has fallen in hours...
    I want snow, damnit :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The weather systems are quite fluid and changeable, the main problem will be that the snow will freeze over in many cases as there is nothing much in the kitty to treat roads with bar a bit of grit to throw on top of the compaction. If you got to work/college today you may have considerable problems getting back home later so do prepare to walk some of the way if you have to abandon the wheels at the bottom of a hill.

Update from the boards.ie weather forum issued Friday, 17 December, 2010 _ 0650h

Now, here's the updated snowfall chart, snowfall in cms.
    Tonight refers to the period now to 0800h Friday, which may be one reason why Friday (0800-2400h) amounts appear reduced.

REGION ............ FRI ..... SAT ..... SUN ..... MON ..... TUES

Ulster .................08 ...... 10 ..... 10 ...... 03 ..... 01

Connacht ........... 08 ...... 07 ..... 08 ...... 02 ..... 01

West Munster, Clare. 05 ..... 05 ..... 12 ...... 07 ..... 01

East Munster ......... 05 ...... 10 ..... 12 ...... 08 ..... 01

inland southeast ..... 06 ...... 10 ..... 25 ...... 10 ..... 02

Dublin/Wicklow/Meath. 04 ...... 10 ..... 20 ...... 10 ..... 02

rest of Leinster ......... 04 ...... 12 ..... 18 ...... 07 ..... 01

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The good thing is that we are getting relatively small amounts spread out over several days rather than a heavy fall. The showery nature of the snow gives time for roads to clear. The problem may be if we get snow overnight when it gets the time to build up.

Advertisement