Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

o2 wireless leased line?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

You would probably be looking in excess of €400 p/m for Leased line in any form.

A leased line in Point to Point form must leverage an internet connection at either source or destination point (i.e you need an additional service in addition to this).

So in a nutshell its not a "Internet" service, so ordering it on its own wont give you access to the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I'd not buy such an expensive thing from a company that only has experience buying it from others.

It would be like buying Hosting in Aldi or Lidl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

Cryos wrote: »
    You would probably be looking in excess of €400 p/m for Leased line in any form.

So in a nutshell its not a "Internet" service, so ordering it on its own wont give you access to the internet.

actually it will.... you can have leased internet lines too..

update:

prices as follows

install €3,000

monthly cost €900

speed 2mb/2mb

no line of sight required, so it must be proper wimax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

900 per month for 2 mb????????????????????

Jesus , what a rip off

• Advertisement

Needing LOS or not is NOTHING to do with Mobile or Fixed WiMax.

Solely to do with frequency used.

If this doesn't need LOS maybe they are using their 4th TDD 3G channel (Vodaphone has one also I think, but not Three or Meteor). AFAIK it's the only unused National non-LOS licences. It's not used because frankly TDD on 5MHz supports very few users and while there is a 3G spec for it, I don't think very many (or any?) phone handsets support it.

The Mobile operators only use their three FDD channels (2100MHz band 5MHz + 5MHz FDD) for Mobile/3G/HSPA. One 5MHz is uplink and one is downlink.

The 4th channel O2 has is single 5MHz thus higher latency TDD (Upload & Download have to take turns).

So this is a lot of money for something potentially inferior to Breeze or Imagine WiMax unless only one or two users per mast sector.

The high price suggests achieve minimum 2Mbps speed indeed by having hardly any users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

It definitely requires line of sight. It is an uncontended full duplex service that can be provided at an E1 or Ethernet level.
    It it not something that they buy from others, it is (in most cases) a microwave solution back to O2's own MPLS network. It it not something that they are reselling from Eircom.

There may be also an option with no LOS but this would involve a third party, most solutions would require LOS.
    Most mobile networks would be very competent at managing such a service given that they would have in excess of 2,500 microwave links already being managed to a high standard.
    It is nothing to do with TDD or WiMax. The speed you buy is the speed you get, you have a dedicated circuit (ATM or IP depending) reserved through the network for the speed that you buy.
    It is a far superior solution to what Breeze or Imagine offer, the equipment used to deliver the service is OTT but I suppose one good thing is that for a price the service could deliver up to 120mbps uncontended, but you'd have to pay a shed load of money for it, particularly if you are in a very rural location. This is because the necessary capacity to give you that level of service would have to be reserved right the way through the network. There is also an extensive support system in place which would be superior to the providers mentioned.
    It can be a point 2 point or point to Internet. A point to point might be useful if you had two premises you wanted to provide isolated connectivity between.

If it's Microwave LOS, then it's a cheap price but they left a Zero off the speed. Other folks are selling 20Mbps to 1Gbps Microwave LOS.

While O2 does own Microwave links, isn't the actual install usually subcontracted?

BT Business, Digiweb and others sell Microwave LOS links too. Usually entry level is 20Mbps full duplex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Telecomms companies in countries all over the world use 3rd parties to install their equipment, I'm not sure the relevance? Companies like Obelisk, Killarney Communications, KN Network solutions, etc. complete installs for Eircom, BT, UPC, Vodafone, Meteor, O2, etc. I doubt there are any significant Telecomms companies in the country that don't use outside support.
    No zeros left off the speed I'd say, I'm sure there are others offering a service but will that service be available with the same reach across the country? If I wanted a single provider to give me connectivity in Waterville in Kerry, Nadd in Cork, Spiddle in Galway, Ballymahon in Longford & a connection in Dublin how many of those companies could actually deliver? The options are limited so this is where this fits in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Looks like O2 are using their mast space and backhaul to offer an extra pair of radios off the mast. The more signicant aspect of this product is the upload speed rather than the download speed, eircom max out at 400-500k on their DSL product.

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Looks like O2 are using their mast space and backhaul to offer an extra pair of radios off the mast. The more signicant aspect of this product is the upload speed rather than the download speed, eircom max out at 400-500k on their DSL product.

eircoms upload maxes out at 1mb/2mb uplink on their 12/1 12/2 products, if you are lucky to be close to exchange!

o2 have re clarified things, and have come back saying that LOS is required so its a standard microwave link. however airspeed are cheaper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

ingen wrote: »
    eircoms upload maxes out at 1mb/2mb uplink on their 12/1 12/2 products, if you are lucky to be close to exchange!
    Only half of eircoms exchanges support 1up and 2up products, those with ADSL2 gear. The remainder only do max 768k up.

You are right, Airspeed are cheaper. Digiweb also do wireless leased line as do a number of the better ISPs such as Net1 from what I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 techdude

There will be a microwave dish on the roof requiring LOS to O2's nearest base station. These technologies should never be compared to ADSL products, the price is >900 EUR for a reason. It's guaranteed, uncontended, synchronous bandwidth with SLAs.

Is there anyone on here who has implemented this from o2 and has been using it for at least a few months? I'm looking at a 20MB link.

Advertisement