Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why is ucd not a good university

Options
  • 16-12-2010 12:13am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭

i heard that a good few of the lecturers in ucd are not student friendily and they don't embrace orginality and free thinking? I heard too that ucd doesn't seem care much about the needs and welfare of it's students, and that its not diverse and its not up to date and every things is expensive to eat there? you have to pay for printing? I don't know if i should apply there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

i heard that a good few of the lecturers in ucd are not student friendily and they don't embrace orginality and free thinking?

Some lecturers aren't good, and some are world class. Much the same in any college I'd imagine. The standard compared to other colleges? Well I'd find it hard to compare seeing as I've only been in UCD. I do have a few guest lecturers this year, from other colleges in Dublin and, well, they are pretty poor imo.

Most lecturers I have had through the years are very supportive of any originality, new thinking, ideas etc. I would strongly disagree who told you that, in my experience.
    They aren't there to cajole you and make you come up with new stuff, but whenever I have ideas that I want to explore further they've always been of great help.
    I heard too that ucd doesn't seem care much about the needs and welfare of it's students,

Mmm, yes and no on this one. The college has turned into a degree producing machine to an extent and to that extent it is quite impersonal at times. My gf goes to trinity and in her experience they don't seem to care much more than they do in UCD.
    and that its not diverse and its not up to date

Would disagree here as well. UCD is a the forefront of a lot of research in many areas in Ireland, and the campus is undergoing a lot of building work. I would say its becoming a very up date date college.

It's also gotta be one of the most diverse in Ireland. It offers more courses than any others, has more students and societies and people from many different walks of life. I would say its very diverse.
    every things is expensive to eat there?

Yes, it is quite expensive and the quality of food aint great. I would suggest if you do come here to make your own lunches.
    you have to pay for printing?

You do, its 5c per page, but this is standard practice in most college AFAIK.
    I don't know if i should apply there.

Do consider I think. There are positives and negatives, but I think over all its a great place to be. Experiences vary from person to person and course to course, but in general I would recommend UCD to prospective students.

What kind of areas of you looking at applying for, may I ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

ucd can be impersonal and daunting but i've had a mostly good experience so far. Most of the lectures are a high standard and do encourage independent thinking. lectures don't know who you are - you do feel like you're just a student number but the lectures are approachable. you can talk to them after a lecture or e mail them or meet them during their office hours and they will do what they can if you need help. ucd do care about the needs and welfare of the students, although you have to go and ask for help yourself - there's a welfare officer and student advisors and you get a peer mentor (usually a 3rd year student) so there are people to go to if you need help.
    you have to pay for printing in every college - i wouldn't base my decision on what college to go to on that.
    food prices vary around campus - some places are expensive, others are reasonable.
    if there's a course in ucd you'd love to do go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

i heard that a good few of the lecturers in ucd are not student friendily and they don't embrace orginality and free thinking?

Haven't experienced this at all. The seminars I have had for some subjects have embraced everyones ideas.
    I heard too that ucd doesn't seem care much about the needs and welfare of it's students,

That is complete and utter fúcking búllshít. Do you know we have a full time student union welfare officer and a whole welfare crew aswell. We care about welfare big time in UCD.
    and that its not diverse and its not up to date and every things is expensive to eat there?

The problem is that catering is franchised out unlike DIT. Yes, food isn't that cheap but you do realise you have the option of bringing your food.
    you have to pay for printing? I don't know if i should apply there.

Yes, we have to pay for printing. If printing was free it would get massively abused.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

As a DSS (Disability Support Services) student I am going to say UCD do an awful lot to help and support DSS students in general. (Not so much me, as I have quite a mild dyslexia, but I know cause I see it first hand). Including (Slightly ironically given the others said) giving us free printing.

As for lecturers I think they are of a high standard. I have never had a lecturer in UCD I found it difficult to understand or follow. I have been to lectures in Trinity where literally the lecturer was only barely audible for example. I think UCD's policy of hiring talented lecturers over reputable ones is quite commendable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭RainbowRose81

Well thanks for the replies, i would say its an okay place to study if your irish or from eu. I don't know about applying to ucd though. My boyfriend is doing masters there, he is non eu and whenever the recruitment companies come around to ucd to hire they don't bother to look at the non eu students and alot of them are very intelligent too. They don't look at all the students only the majority.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭BCC4LYFE

ucd is such a joke i rly wanted to go 2 america to study but my parents said they would not pay fees until i show signs that ill work hard

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

i heard that a good few of the lecturers in ucd are not student friendily and they don't embrace orginality and free thinking? I heard too that ucd doesn't seem care much about the needs and welfare of it's students, and that its not diverse and its not up to date and every things is expensive to eat there? you have to pay for printing? I don't know if i should apply there.
    Well thanks for the replies, i would say its an okay place to study if your irish or from eu. I don't know about applying to ucd though. My boyfriend is doing masters there, he is non eu and whenever the recruitment companies come around to ucd to hire they don't bother to look at the non eu students and alot of them are very intelligent too. They don't look at all the students only the majority.
    em, perhaps uni isnt for you just yet. do thank those who offered good detailed advice though. - oh you did. good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

they don't embrace orginality and free thinking?
    I don't think many universities actively foster free-thinking to be honest. If you do politics, for example, you will be taught the liberal/progressive view of things that welfare states are good; taxes are good; government is good; public healthcare is good; markets need to be regulated etc. Sociology is basically a synonym for left-wing studies also and having departments of gender studies and social equality lets you know what type of thinking is promoted on campus. But in the U.S. it's worse though and UCD is not particularly bad.

How's that UCD's fault?

Is that the sole reason you are not considering going to UCD, or do you have other reason, can I ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

BCC4LYFE wrote: »
    ucd is such a joke i rly wanted to go 2 america to study but my parents said they would not pay fees until i show signs that ill work hard

That won't be this semester then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Trinity propaganda ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

As much as any other university. :pac:

It's up to date with things. Food is subsidised. The only real problem with the university that is campus wide is clunky social nature generated by having forests of people coupled with not-so-hot public transport at night (depending on where you are heading)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

"UCD is such a joke. I really wanted to go to America to study, but my parents said they would not pay fees until I show signs that I'll work hard."

Corrected that for you. Good luck in your exams if you are in Arts :p Or anything else rly

Sorry, can't help it but - lol. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

My boyfriend is doing masters there, he is non eu and whenever the recruitment companies come around to ucd to hire they don't bother to look at the non eu students and alot of them are very intelligent too. They don't look at all the students only the majority.

Companies can hire who and how they like. I'm not advocating racism but its an entitlement of a HR Department to chose their workforce. Many of the IT companies I know for a fact hire Irish and non Irish from all over the world. I have never experienced any segregation at any of the fairs. It strikes me as very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

You want to study in the USA because there's no hot birds in UCD? Yeah, wouldn't be too optimistic about America..

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

Don't worry about nonEUs and recruitment companies. The don't look at Arts students eitehr, and THEY ARE the majority.

Healium wrote: »
    You want to study in the USA because there's no hot birds in UCD? Yeah, wouldn't be too optimistic about America..

Unfortunately it seems our total-beast-jock-legend friend BCC4LYFE has been banned and won't be able to tell us how amazing he is, or ponder over the hotness of 'birds' anymore.

A real loss :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Unfortunately it seems our total-beast-jock-legend friend BCC4LYFE has been banned and won't be able to tell us how amazing he is, or ponder over the hotness of 'birds' anymore.

A real loss :rolleyes:
    Tragic.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

We won't miss you if you believe every little thing you hear :rolleyes:. Why shouldn't you have to pay for printing anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭davi78

Admittedly, I'm not in UCD that long, I've just finished Semester 1 but I have to say that I think the lecturers and tutors I've had were all very open to original thinking and ideas and were definately supportive throughout the semester.

Regarding printing, having to pay 5c may seem a lot if you've a lot to print but you could always pick up a small home printer. In the long run that would probably be cheaper, especially if you plan to complete a degree.

I quite like the fact that the buildings are so different, it shows the progression of the campus over the years. I am particularly fond of the Arts building...there's always another shortcut or corridor to be found!

It has already been said but the option of bringing your own food is always available. On days where I've only got a couple of classes I don't bother bringing a lunch but on longer days, there's sambos in my bag! I also bring coffee with me in a flask. There's always an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭brokenhinge

3 and a half years here, and although it sucks like a mofo at times I genuinely love it and am so glad I didn't go anywhere else.

Oh there's unbearable cnuts here, but its easy enough to escape them, but there's a general friendly and well natured attitude from most people.

Some of the buildings are rank looking too, but there be shiny pretty ones too to lift the mood a bit.

Also regarding printing, it's about the same everywhere really and a cheap lunch is definetly not impossible-Centra hot roll and bottle of water-maja nom noms and €3.50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

The Celtic Tiger cubs are still out there :)

Advertisement