Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

Patience is the game lads.

The gradient will slowly edge the easterlies further south.

It is painstaking but we will get our rewards! Maybe!

Do you think it will hit Arklow :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

If this turns into another let down for the east I give up!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Clouds are makig inroads toward the Skerries, Donabate, Malahide coasts now. Some light showers shortly I suspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Patience is the game lads.

The gradient will slowly edge the easterlies further south.

It is painstaking but we will get our rewards! Maybe!

I love it, you wind us in with the first line, the second you give us real hope and lastly you pop our bubble!

You should be in politics with that cautious approach :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Met.ie have updated their forecast again for snow in the east

18 December 2010 16:14

Today
    Tonight will be mostly dry in many places, but snow is expected in parts of Munster and Connaught, as well as the northeast. The lowest temperatures will be between -4 to -10 degrees with widespread severe frost, icy roads and patches of freezing fog.

nat00_weather.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

darkman2 wrote: »
    Clouds are makig inroads toward the Skerries, Donabate, Malahide coasts now. Some light showers shortly I suspect.
    painstakingly slow. been looking at it for 3 hrs now, inching closer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

*sigh* snow where are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Hope that band of cloud hits north mayo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 I_am_red

dacogawa wrote: »
    Nice photos, should have used the name 'I am WHITE' with that snowfall, enjot it!

You could be right! But after a day walking around in the snow my cheeks live up to my nick! Glowing red they are! It didn't get above -3c here today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

kennyb3 wrote: »
    painstakingly slow. been looking at it for 3 hrs now, inching closer

The fact that its slow moving could work to our advantage, if it hits, it will be here for hours.:D

• Advertisement

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Met.ie have updated their forecast again for snow in the east

18 December 2010 16:14

Today
    Tonight will be mostly dry in many places, but snow is expected in parts of Munster and Connaught, as well as the northeast. The lowest temperatures will be between -4 to -10 degrees with widespread severe frost, icy roads and patches of freezing fog.

nat00_weather.png

I want to know, who from the Met Office is in here ? come on fess up, everytime something is called in here the met changes 5 minutes later.

We'll find you!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

If this turns into another let down for the east I give up!!

+1, it's a one way trip to Siberia for me if this one falls through! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Vizual Pics

Have about 6 inches now in Castlebar, some very heavy showers yesterday eve and last night but have only got a few flakes today, not even enought to give a dusting, even when raintoday shows precip over us, it doesnt fall..The LP now to the west wont push inland, precip is just skimming the coast, but as everyone else is saying its a nowcast at this stage, no point in looking at charts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

I want to know, who from the Met Office is in here ? come on fess up, everytime something is called in here the met changes 5 minutes later.

We'll find you!!!

Do you ever get the impression when you are watching Evelyn Cusack giving the weather, the way she kind of grins, it's like as if she knows we are all typing away here on boards talking about her, hangin off her every word haha?!?!?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Are we just hoping too much? no sign of it on the 17.00 met radar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

I think its safe to say met eireann are in here stealing the expert's ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Sunny all day in Wexford, doubt we'll see any snow at this rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    The fact that its slow moving could work to our advantage, if it hits, it will be here for hours.:D

I don't want to build my hopes up too much but I think there are few things apparent that are to our advantage on the coast in Dublin/N.Wicklow.

It seems to be heading SW towards Dublin/Bray. :D Sorry Louth/Meath people

The surface winds still coming from the NW will hold back the warm maritime air from the sea away from the coastal areas?

The slowness means it should hit in the middle of the night when surely air temp and DP's will be in decent negative figures. ie. even if there is a warm up when it arrives we should still be in negative figures and so no marginality.

The slowness gives it time to build strength from the warm sea.

The slowness means it might not be a 30minute or 1 hour affair but a nice 3-4 hours falling snow.

Right, I'm off up to Council offices with the bolt cutters to sabotage the Bray Snow Shield generators. Whos with me.....

Who's with me!!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

well if i can't get it to snow outside in north dublin, at least i can get it to snow on my ipad :D

IMG_0728.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

In non East Coast related news, Connaught looks set for some decent snow right now. Theres an organised bad moving across now which should push further in land

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

Darkman2,yes,indeed the clouds were amazing.Totally pinkish and just a tinge of orange,huge too,just teasing me off the coast.should have taken photo,am watching eagerly,moon was lovely too at 4pm !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Might be on to something calibos...that clump NE of the mournes is now being deflected slightly NW and the IoM clump is heading more ESE than E judging by last radar sweep.
    Tide'll be coming in in Dundalk bay in the next couple of hours and that might work to our favour. Meh, once someone on the east coast sees something...

edit Radar updated (5.15)...now a bit of a streamer broken off the northerly clump and pointing in the right direction for me

*does snow dance*

well if i can't get it to snow outside in north dublin, at least i can get it to snow on my ipad :D

IMG_0728.jpg

Are you an elf holding an iphone ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Harps wrote: »
    In non East Coast related news, Connaught looks set for some decent snow right now. Theres an organised bad moving across now which should push further in land

Boring!

Only joking :D We got a good lashing a couple of weeks ago here so it's good to see some other areas getting it too. Want more though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Guys and Gals can I have a rant... I love the snow really love it but... my daughter is due home for xmas... flight cancelled out of stansted today... she lives in cambridge and her best back there was to go to Harlow Town and she is now standing on a platform there waiting for the very very last delayed delayed delayed train to Cambridge... and she has been off work all week with a "strain" of flu.... and I have rebooked her to come straight to cork on tues she should be in at 15.45... please tell me she will make it home for xmas and make it home to her house in cambridge tonight.... sob story over... snow in cork till erm... monday morning and return on tues after 14.45 lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

Are you an elf holding an iphone ?

lol no i'm a normal sized woman holding an ipad! see the mac in the background for size comparison..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Vizual Pics

Harps wrote: »

The same has been happening all day though around Castlebar but nothing is falling, but it seems to be building better now, maybe with the drop in temps?
    Will keep you updated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Calibos wrote: »
    I don't want to build my hopes up too much but I think there are few things apparent that are to our advantage on the coast in Dublin/N.Wicklow.

It seems to be heading SW towards Dublin/Bray. :D Sorry Louth/Meath people

The surface winds still coming from the NW will hold back the warm maritime air from the sea away from the coastal areas?

The slowness means it should hit in the middle of the night when surely air temp and DP's will be in decent negative figures. ie. even if there is a warm up when it arrives we should still be in negative figures and so no marginality.

The slowness gives it time to build strength from the warm sea.

The slowness means it might not be a 30minute or 1 hour affair but a nice 3-4 hours falling snow.

Right, I'm off up to Council offices with the bolt cutters to sabotage the Bray Snow Shield generators. Whos with me.....

Who's with me!!

:D

come on share the excitement - whats happening in Bray- im working too busy to follow these pages today .......

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭laurence997

What direction it the wind to be tonight on the West coast? It did a fairly large swing today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Is that band of cloud comming for north Mayo aswell? :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement