Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

lol no i'm a normal sized woman holding an ipad! see the mac in the background for size comparison..

ah, yes. sorry every time i see a mac i just banish it from my thoughts, horrible waste of an intel chip :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Hey folks! On this in work, ( shouldn't really be) Any1 jst give us a quick update if there's snow due for Dublin?
    Can't get onto any radar sites or anything! :(
    And I'm not off till 10!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Dublin
    18 December 2010- updated at 18:00
    Today
    This evening will be bitterly cold and icy- but mainly dry with just a risk of a wintry shower of sleet or snow.
    Tonight
    Tonight will be bitterly cold with severe frosts as temperatures fall to between -2 and -7 degrees. Some scattered showers of sleet and snow are likely - as are local freezing fog patches.
    ++++++++++++++++
    Dunno how they updated it at 1800 when it's 1737,but at least now showers are likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Is that band of cloud comming for north Mayo aswell? smile.gif

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Hey folks! On this in work, ( shouldn't really be) Any1 jst give us a quick update if there's snow due for Dublin?

Its flirting with us, coming in from the IOM very slowly, but might not, but might!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

ME site now showing wind b;lowing in off the Irish Sea, come on baby (I just want some snow to test my new winter tyres)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Some on Guy called piers corbyn on sky news now who predicted this very cold December says the cold will go on and on and on :) and lots of snow all winter:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I think if everyone just goes offline and leaves the radar and wind reports and everything else, it won't seem like its taking so long to arrive!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Iancar29 wrote: »

There's a bit of stuff off the east coast (around the IOM) that seems to be heading very slowly in our direction. From what I see, no definite sign of a proper easterly wind to land it on top of us, but it's looking potentially hopeful at the mo for tonight. Quite uncertain though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Calibos wrote: »
    I don't want to build my hopes up too much but I think there are few things apparent that are to our advantage on the coast in Dublin/N.Wicklow.

It seems to be heading SW towards Dublin/Bray. :D Sorry Louth/Meath people

The surface winds still coming from the NW will hold back the warm maritime air from the sea away from the coastal areas?

The slowness means it should hit in the middle of the night when surely air temp and DP's will be in decent negative figures. ie. even if there is a warm up when it arrives we should still be in negative figures and so no marginality.

The slowness gives it time to build strength from the warm sea.

The slowness means it might not be a 30minute or 1 hour affair but a nice 3-4 hours falling snow.

Right, I'm off up to Council offices with the bolt cutters to sabotage the Bray Snow Shield generators. Whos with me.....

Who's with me!!

:D

You should write a book, that's pure poetry!!!!! :cool::cool::cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Significant other rang - eyebrows froze in a blizzrd in Ipswich there - little icicles hanging off them ha ha..... for once hes glad hes bald !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    Is that band of cloud comming for north Mayo aswell? smile.gif

No. You could get some snow from the west tonight though...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

lucy2010 wrote: »
    Significant other rang - eyebrows froze in a blizzrd in Ipswich there - little icicles hanging off them ha ha..... for once hes glad hes bald !
    Watching Ipswich on the box some snowstorm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

darkman2 wrote: »
    No. You could get some snow from the west tonight though...

I think that was what he was referring to..

You can see it here mayo boy, seems like you'll get some snowfall at least

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭typhooner

anyone from west side of galway on here, is there anything falling from the sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Rain today is showing that band really intensifying on the west coast in the last hour and heading straight for west Mayo, I had almost given up on a top up today but this has just got interesting.

Dear Isle of Man,

If the cloud you are sending us on the east coast brings us lots of snow we might be willing to forget the 'shadow' incidents of a few weeks ago & will stop plotting your downfall.

All the best
    The East Coast

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

typhooner wrote: »
    anyone from west side of galway on here, is there anything falling from the sky?
    That image on rain today isnt totally correct the snow has just reached Spiddle, having started in Carraroe over 2 hours ago, still snowing in carraroe by the way. It seems to be extremely slow moving , if it makes the city well you should 5 cms at least out of it. It wont be in the city for probably another 45 minutes to hour.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Watching Ipswich on the box some snowstorm

The next amazing task is driving from Ipswich to Holyhead in the morning to get home & put up the bloody christmas tree before the kids really believe he is Scrooge ..... He drives in snow all the time but he said its horrendous over there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Nothing yet in Galway City but looking at the latest radar it cant be far off now, will let ye know

• Advertisement

Hold onto your hats people! East wind!!!!

nat00_wind.png?1715

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Harps wrote: »
    I think that was what he was referring to..

You can see it here mayo boy, seems like you'll get some snowfall at least

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/
    Hope we get some more :D

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

Ya theres defo some snow in that band, my friend in Leenane confirmed he had heavy snow there about an hour ago

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I'm not expecting any snow showers along the Co. Dublin coast until after 9pm, the satellite coverage still shows a prevailing W wind through Dublin still. Showers cannot move onland while there's a stiff westerly coming off the coast. I don't know how long it will last for but that LP is stubbornly stationary off the west coast instead of moving slightly southwards, so that's a further bad sign for a possible wind direction change for those in the east south of the border.

The skies to my east are still almost clear.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

lucy2010 wrote: »
    The next amazing task is driving from Ipswich to Holyhead in the morning to get home & put up the bloody christmas tree before the kids really believe he is Scrooge ..... He drives in snow all the time but he said its horrendous over there

fingers crossed he get home my bro has been stranded in london, flight cancelled today, the earliest he can get out is tuesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

dacogawa wrote: »
    Dear Isle of Man,

If the cloud you are sending us on the east coast brings us lots of snow we might be willing to forget the 'shadow' incidents of a few weeks ago & will stop plotting your downfall.

All the best
    The East Coast

I'm not certain, but I think this band looks like it's starting this side of the IOM so there'll be be no shadow. A few weeks ago, I think the streamers were starting on the far side and then the shadow came into play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Lovely band of precip off wales, but aberystweth wind direction is SW. :(

irishbird wrote: »
    fingers crossed he get home my bro has been stranded in london, flight cancelled today, the earliest he can get out is tuesday

Tell him to get to Ipswich & thumb a lift lol.... he actually doesnt think he will get across which for him to say considering the job hes in means its mega bad

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

The wind has definitely changed to an ESE direction, looks like the streamer in the Irish Sea is increasing in intensity too :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

It is a very slow process also we have the added complication of winds going Southeasterly hence why I think that rain which is kind of stuck atm in the middle of the Irish Sea may end up on the Louth/Down coasts with lighter scattered showers further South. But at this stage forcasts are useless - it's just a case of watching the radar for developments.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement