Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

those 3 bits in the Irish sea seem to have ganged up on the 17:45

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭carlmwan

looking good for louth, meath and dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

So if everything stays on course, we (Dublin) could be looking at an epic night instore ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

darkman2 wrote: »
    It is a very slow process also we have the added complication of winds going Southeasterly hence why I think that rain snow which is kind of stuck atm in the middle of the Irish Sea may end up on the Louth/Down coasts with lighter scattered showers further South. But at this stage forcasts are useless - it's just a case of watchig the radar for developments.

Shhhhh, you're not allowed say the "R" word in here!!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

looking that way, wouldnt say epic but we should get a nice bit

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

MGMTea wrote: »
    So if everything stays on course, we (Dublin) could be looking at an epic night instore ? :D

Don't know about others but im saying light or moderate scattered snow showers for Dublin. Don't be expecting too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Even now the 3 hour Met Eireann model is showing no snow in counties Louth, Meath or Dublin, not even at the Cooley Penninsula (over that time period). The satellite does suggest a few weak showers coming near the Co. Dublin coast but whether it reaches land or not in the next couple of hours is uncertain to my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

darkman2 wrote: »
    Don't know about others but im saying light or moderate scattered snow showers for Dublin. Don't be expecting too much!

oh right, well anything will do to be honest, not fussy :P

Just went outside (Dublin 4, 500 meters from coast) & the wind has definitely changed to east.

Also its bloody cold out there.

I want to go get some food/watch tv for a while but this is like watching a very, very slow car crash, I cant take my eyes off it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,391 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

bbc news just showed SE getting battered tomorrow night

just spent 5 hours clearing snow off the drive, dont want any more

139951.jpg

139952.jpg

139953.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭carlmwan

Does anyone have the premium version of raintoday because this wait is killing me..:rolleyes::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Any chance of that wind bringing some snow to Laois/North Tipp?

I realise all of my posts in this thread have basically been annoying questions.:o:pac:

carlmwan wrote: »
    Does anyone have the premium version of raintoday because this wait is killing me..:rolleyes::D

The premium has been way off in its '3 hour ahead' the last few days, all the posts here yesterday were wrong about the east coast

someone in skerries/rush keep an eye on the lamposts & put your hand out the window please

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭laurence997

carlmwan wrote: »

I'm thinking the same thing waiting for these showers to land on the west:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mojopolo

Its just starting to snow again in Belfast :). Light and powdery.

We had a fantastic afternoon on the sledges. Didnt see grass at all as the snow is that deep, even with all the sleighing.
    It's definately the deepest snow I've ever seen in the city.:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Can confirm that the slight wind has changed direction to a SE here in Waterford City.

How come on sat24 it shows all the clouds approach the west coast directly from the west, yet the showers appear to be approaching nearly directly from the south on the rainfall radar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Can confirm that the slight wind has changed direction to a SE here in Waterford City.

maybe good for inland counties so...?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Even now the 3 hour Met Eireann model is showing no snow in counties Louth, Meath or Dublin, not even at the Cooley Penninsula (over that time period). The satellite does suggest a few weak showers coming near the Co. Dublin coast but whether it reaches land or not in the next couple of hours is uncertain to my eyes.

Do you just see everything dying eventually ? I am confused.

The evolution the below link shows has things really starting to pep up around 7 with a small low forming later which I thought should see things further intensify.

http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm

Just looking at the difference in the radar images below you can see how things have already really intensified off the coast in the last few hours. I was expecting as the wind turned more easterly these would start to make land ?

3pm

97418365.png

6pm

31033900.png

Opr

-8 in Athlone, I've never seen it this cold so early in the evening!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

typhooner wrote: »
    anyone from west side of galway on here, is there anything falling from the sky?

West Connemara here, dumped down up to 4.5 inches on us this afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Vizual Pics

Rain today is showing that band really intensifying on the west coast in the last hour and heading straight for west Mayo, I had almost given up on a top up today but this has just got interesting.

As I said earlier though even though it shows precip over Castlebar although very light its producing nothing! Fingers crossed!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

maybe good for inland counties so...?

Mostly coastal regions of the east and south east would benefit, unlikely to reach the midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

More than likely Dublin, Meath, Wicklow, Kildare and perhaps Wexford should see some action if this hits land, it's not likely to reach further inland than Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

QUESTION ;

if theres a wind blowing from the west and a wind blowing from the east , what happens ? would it push up to north direction or push down south ?

im in south tipp , so jus wondering which is our best bet to get snow frm ? east or west ?

jus waching rte weather , sounds good for sunday nite and monday :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Mostly coastal regions of the east and south east would benefit, unlikely to reach the midlands.
    ah,some loada ring:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

What timing, my vodafone wireless gadget has just hit it's 10 gb limit, this is not as much fun on my iPhone...:rolleyes::mad::rolleyes:

Anyone know if MT's gonna update today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

I think we are really clutching at straws here on the E. Coast. Louth might get a cm or two (ESE winds will be a little stronger there), but south of there will only get a few flakes max. The flow is too slack, most showers will just die before they hit land. Anyways will be interesting to watch the radar in the next few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

-8 in Athlone, I've never seen it this cold so early in the evening!

Can it actually snow at those temperatures. about the same in Castlebar - but maps suggest 'stuff' on its way....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement