Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Not looking to good at the moment, precip not really moving eastward and dying slightly also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

RTE weather just said snow on the east coast later, some in the morning & more tomorrow night & Monday :)

I hope they haven't jinxed it now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Fingers crossed in Wexford, I missed the last batch of snow arriving, and the previous year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Have about 6 inches now in Castlebar, some very heavy showers yesterday eve and last night but have only got a few flakes today, not even enought to give a dusting, even when raintoday shows precip over us, it doesnt fall..The LP now to the west wont push inland, precip is just skimming the coast, but as everyone else is saying its a nowcast at this stage, no point in looking at charts...

thats what she said!:p

gets coat and ventures out into the white wilderness........

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭moggie4000

-5 here in Swords at the mo, very little wind though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,408 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

NIALL D wrote: »
    QUESTION ;

if theres a wind blowing from the west and a wind blowing from the east , what happens ? would it push up to north direction or push down south ?

im in south tipp , so jus wondering which is our best bet to get snow frm ? east or west ?

jus waching rte weather , sounds good for sunday nite and monday :):)
    Good question, I think the answer is the precip stays in the west and in the Irish sea in the east.
    I wish the low pressure off the west coast would decide where it wants to be and go there!
    I think the precip in the Irish Sea will move a little west then dive south as it bumps against the low off the west coast. A messy situation.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

ah yummy yum yum yum yummy yum,snow for inland leinster on tuesday!Yom....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

patneve2 wrote: »
    I think we are really clutching at straws here on the E. Coast. Louth might get a cm or two (ESE winds will be a little stronger there), but south of there will only get a few flakes max. The flow is too slack, most showers will just die before they hit land. Anyways will be interesting to watch the radar in the next few hours.

I'd agree with that, the past 10 pages of this thread are filled with a build up to snow on the east but theres nothing significant at all even if that does reach land tonight so no point in getting everyones hopes up. Connacht is where the action is tonight, East Coast tomorrow and Monday probably

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

6:30 is looking good for drogheda area but not for Dublin, I'm getting away from this screen for a few hours, if anyone wants me I'll be doing a snow dance outside!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Supercell wrote: »
    Good question, I think the answer is the precip stays in the west and in the Irish sea in the east.
    I wish the low pressure off the west coast would decide where it wants to be and go there!
    I think the precip in the Irish Sea will move a little west then dive south as it bumps against the low off the west coast. A messy situation.
    Indeed not one thing or other.
    I would imagine the stuff out West has moved onshore as much as it will and will now just drop South skirting coastal fringes
    If you live in Dingle it's looking good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Its very breezy here in crossmolina ( North Mayo) at the moment, so do ye guys think we'll get any snow soon or later on?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I didn't expect anything this evening snow-wise in Louth/Dublin but there should be a shower or two moving onto land later tonight, closer to midnight? It won't be significant but it will be something to look forward to at least:pac:

Well for the wee county anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

-8 in Athlone, I've never seen it this cold so early in the evening!

ya, i put a thermometer out the back earlier and when I took it in a while ago it was showing -10 in Boyle!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

ipswich game off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

That yoke off the West coast looks big but will it track inland? In Claregalway here so it'd have a bit travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sillybird

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    Its very breezy here in crossmolina ( North Mayo) at the moment, so do ye guys think we'll get any snow soon or later on?

Ya you should be seeing some shortly. Keep an eye here to see ppt coming in from the coast http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

It was expected that precipitation would break up. Lighter more scattered snow showers will develope and push onshore as the night goes on. Meanwhile Co Louth should see heavier snowfall as the winds are going Southeasterly giving it an ideal sea track. Dublin IMO will get another 2cm or so. More further North.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

please tell me that stuff thats in galway right now is coming south

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Not a single flake of snow...

Just freezing cold...

link to carlowweather.com for those that don't know about it yet :)

http://www.carlowweather.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

ipswich game off

Not yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sillybird

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    That yoke off the West coast looks big but will it track inland? In Claregalway here so it'd have a bit travel.

We will probably see some snow over the next hour. It seems to fizzle out the further inland in comes so I wouldn't expect to see heavy snowfalls.

I was travelling from Galway city towards Tuam today, the further North I went there seemed to be more snow on the ground. Plus they only gritted to roads from the City to Claregalway grrr!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Down to -6c in Dublin Airport at 18.30 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

The showers in Galway Bay seem to be dying out over the city but slowly but surely pushing inland, I'm only a few miles inland so hoping to see something tonight. From Raintoday.co.uk Headford looks like getting another dumping.
    At least a foot of snow over there already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Down to -6c in Dublin Airport at 18.30 :eek:
    dats paddy power having to pay out for those who managed to get a bet on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

delw wrote: »
    dats paddy power having to pay out for those who managed to get a bet on

Think the bet was for the week ending the 27th i.e. starting from next Mon

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

There's not a hope of us on the east getting snow. Those streamers are dying out before the get near land.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

Sonovagun wrote: »
    There's not a hope of us on the east getting snow. Those streamers are dying out before the get near land.

It's looking that way alright :( ah well, maybe tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

sillybird wrote: »
    We will probably see some snow over the next hour. It seems to fizzle out the further inland in comes so I wouldn't expect to see heavy snowfalls.

I was travelling from Galway city towards Tuam today, the further North I went there seemed to be more snow on the ground. Plus they only gritted to roads from the City to Claregalway grrr!
    That's always the way. There isn't a lot around the city but in Claregalway it's way deeper. Nothing here as of yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Anything for the Kingdom tonight, hasn't snowed all day:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

homolumo wrote: »
    Think the bet was for the week ending the 27th i.e. starting from next Mon

yep and it has to be lower than -6

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement