Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭moggie4000

gally74 wrote: »
    yep the nra have really got it wrong,

they were well warned last winter,

they keep putting out a thaw is coming, typical irish, what chart are they looking at,
    I'd say the chart they are looking at is the money chart. They thought they'd get away with not ordering anymore salt to save money and now they're salt supplies are low and waiting for it to come from Tunisia...

You're right, they were well warned and did nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

Been snowing in Carraroe for a good few hours now. Plenty of snow and if that lp off the West coast decides to move inland well then most of Galway and Calre should get more snow.

how much do you have on the ground now?[/QUOTE]
    ah not as much as you would think for 3 hours snow , maybe 12 cms but i know Rosmuc has about 20

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Iv 2 friends working in castlerea and they have 6-8 inchs last night

edit

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blueprint/media/salt_mines_carrick.shtml

loads of salt in the north, why are buying it from africa>?

we ship our salt from there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

Hi all,

Temp here outside Enniskillen is currently -10.0 C, we maybe hitting new records before the night is out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mollzer

-9 in Shercock, Co. Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

There's some amazing low temps out there - cant wait to see what they are at around 7 am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

we ship our salt from there

good for you on the isle of man,

complete cop out by the nra, if this was in Dublin, it would be prime time news etc. as its in the west etc. they try to get away with it,

snow ghost wrote: »
    There's some amazing low temps out there - cant wait to see what there are at around 7 am

Im dreading it ill be on the road from 6.30am for work in galway :mad:

• Advertisement

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Im dreading it ill be on the road from 6.30am for work in galway :mad:

Safe trip, hopefully they will have gritted the roads early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Thunder and fork lightning up north this last few minutes

complete cop out by the nra, if this was in Dublin, it would be prime time news etc. as its in the west etc. they try to get away with it,

The NRA are a disgrace, they said in the Autumn that they had enough to cope with a winter like we had last year, and they are running out already.

Basic management - contingency planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

Loughrea side of Galway hasn;t had any more snow today, we had 3 or 4 inches last night. But temps never got above 0 all day so no thaw as the NRA might have hoped. Main roads were passable with care, during the day but temp drops will make them treacherous. Be safe driving to Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

the cost of not salting the roads is huge,

accidents, emergency services, and the loss to economy

Another failure by a public service, to think they have a mine in the north... unexecusable,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

little blob appearing in the Irish sea in between the 2 precipitations (20:30)

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

I'm giving it till the next update & if it goes elsewhere I'm calling it a night

i do have to say, our local gov have done a great job,
    they kept most roads open, and as off now bar 1 or 2 roads there all clear, and that was after about 6 -8in fell,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

the cost of not salting the roads is huge,

accidents, emergency services, and the loss to economy

Another failure by a public service, to think they have a mine in the north... unexecusable,

dont blame public service.. as far as i know the gritting and salt supplies are the responbility of some national thingy

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Cabra

The NRA keep going on about having enough salt for primary routes, but there are some non-primary routes that are just as busy -they've made a b#%lls of it - there isnt much point in keeping the motorways clear if no one can get on to them - two weeks ago there were major problems on the M50 slip roads because people couldn't get up them - not much point gritting the road if you cant get off it!

i do have to say, our local gov have done a great job,
    they kept most roads open, and as off now bar 1 or 2 roads there all clear, and that was after about 6 -8in fell,

I thought you got banned from here for 'the shadow' incident :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Jumpy wrote: »
    Guys, I know you hate this type of question, as its just plain irritating coming from all over the place, but I have looked at all the charts and I simply dont have the experience to figure out if Limerick is actually going to get snow at all over the next two days.

Can someone who is a little more up to date on this please tell me, are we doomed to receive nothing?

Not even knowledgeable but I've been following both the Met Eireann charts and the Accuweather projections and I think the "Limerick Nuclear No Snow Zone" will continue to remain operational.

From what I gather, we might have a little bit during the week but it would appear as if it won't be much more than a dusting.

I am a killjoy and delighted. In fact I'd be quite happy if we had a heatwave for the next 3 months... We have a building project going on at the moment and the brickie can't lay bricks in the current conditions. I really don't need the build delayed any further....

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

eastbono wrote: »
    dont blame public service.. as far as i know the gritting and salt supplies are the responbility of some national thingy

as far as i know the national thingy is still a public service and they are total disgrace , no acountability in any of our public services:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Are all the cork lads gone to late mass or something :D:D

Thought we would have a fierce fall of snow by the look of the clouds to the west earlier but nothing has developed!

Holding on to hope for later maybe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

Major snow clouds heading for munster.........looks like more snow over night.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Glenviewjf wrote: »
    Are all the cork lads gone to late mass or something :D:D

Thought we would have a fierce fall of snow by the look of the clouds to the west earlier but nothing has developed!

Holding on to hope for later maybe!

hmmmm good idea late mass,think ill wait till the morning do,then ill pray for widespread snow!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Cabra wrote: »
    The NRA keep going on about having enough salt for primary routes, but there are some non-primary routes that are just as busy -they've made a b#%lls of it - there isnt much point in keeping the motorways clear if no one can get on to them - two weeks ago there were major problems on the M50 slip roads because people couldn't get up them - not much point gritting the road if you cant get off it!

the n4 a primary route is in a jock not one bit of salt on it , the nra are a joke , i knew once the american tool said a few weeks ago that they had a huge amount stock piled - there will be no problems this year :- we were doomed, now its the same ****e as last year waiting on ships to come :eek:, white knuckle driving for the next month so.

dacogawa wrote: »
    little blob appearing in the Irish sea in between the 2 precipitations (20:30)

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

I'm giving it till the next update & if it goes elsewhere I'm calling it a night

Its getting bigger & just sitting there mocking us!!! o.k. I'll wait for the next update but if you haven't moved I'm going to the pub!

dacogawa wrote: »
    I thought you got banned from here for 'the shadow' incident :D

they told me not to do it again and they let me back:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

duckysauce wrote: »
    the n4 a primary route is in a jock not one bit of salt on it , the nra are a joke , i knew once the american tool said a few weeks ago that they had a huge amount stock piled - there will be no problems this year :- we were doomed, now its the same ****e as last year waiting on ships to come :eek:, white knuckle driving for the next month so.

That's just it about Ireland, we seem to have to pay top whack money for poor services and wishy washy organisations who pay themselves huge salaries. In other countries roads are cleared by contractors who don't get payed if they don't do the work but here we seem to have to over pay for little or no service and it's like that from the top down. Is it any wonder the country's in the state it's in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Folks this weather is extreme and the country is bancrupt.
    I dont think it's the nra's fault.
    Northern Ireland are equally suffering on the roads are they not??
    These guys are out through the night in the worst of it, give em a break i say

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement