Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Nothing here - Palmerstown

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭largepants

Ali Babba wrote: »
    That's just it about Ireland, we seem to have to pay top whack money for poor services and wishy washy organisations who pay themselves huge salaries. In other countries roads are cleared by contractors who don't get payed if they don't do the work but here we seem to have to over pay for little or no service and it's like that from the top down. Is it any wonder the country's in the state it's in?

I thought this was the weather forum. The public service bashing is for the politics forum.

Nice clear skies here. The snow from last night is still lying though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Folks this weather is extreme and the country is bancrupt.
    I dont think it's the nra's fault.
    Northern Ireland are equally suffering on the roads are they not??
    These guys are out through the night in the worst of it, give em a break i say
    The council men are doing a great job with the supplies they have. The NRA are incompetent fools by the looks of things. They're completely separate are they not?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

Folks this weather is extreme and the country is bancrupt.
    Northern Ireland are equally suffering on the roads are they not??
    These guys are out through the night in the worst of it, give em a break i say

I don't think anyone is giving out about the guys who are out gritting at all hours - when there is some grit/salt available. It's the managers who, even with evidence, don't have the foresight to import enough salt/grit on time. The stuff was on it's way (and OK there was a supposed delay), but they could have predicted this problem would occur, well my 6 month old pup could have, so I assume they could.

[EDIT: or what Wally said]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

the snow shield is up, that front has no moved in any direction in the last 3 hours. galway stop hogging the snow

had to go and do something studying thinking some of that was bound to come down. still hasnt moved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

It is totally the fault of those responsible for ordering and managing the salt/grit. Which I believe is the NRA.

They are incompetent.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

Ali Babba wrote: »
    Major snow clouds heading for munster.........looks like more snow over night.:D
    LINK?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tibet84

Its funny, was driving from Portlaoise to Tullamore a short while ago. This main road is half in Laois and half in Offaly. It seems Laois County Council have done a particularly good job looking after their 'half' but as soon as I passed the sign that said 'Welcome to Offaly', the road became brutal. So one stretch of road about 30 miles long is half perfect and half trecherous. Just shows that different Councils are handling it more competently. No offense to all the hard working men and women on the roads this past few weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭rovers2001

As much as some of us like/dislike the snow we still have to be mindful of the dangers....im just thinking of that poor 15 yr old girl killed in Cork today on her sleigh RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Well the easterlies are starting to kick in now, hopefully whatever the Irish Sea throws up can keep together until landfall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

I heard on the radio on Friday that they were keeping the grit unitl Monday to ensure that the country would be able to work, they said they had 15K tonnes of salt and that was loads untill the boat arrived from africa on wednesday with more. Some problems with this are.

- they had been using 5k a day to keep the roads open
    - it was Friday and the Ship was due Wednesday so that mean that they really needed 30K tonnes of salt to just get to wednesday
    - if they didnt grit the roads on Friday/Saturday/Sunday they would save them selves 15k tonnes worth of salt and therefore make it to wednesday when the ship would arrive
    -i think the ship now wont be here untill Friday (not 100% sure on this but I heard somehwere it will be late arriving)
    - the state is seeing all the rats leaving the sinking ship, if FF dont do some recruiting quickly the only member left maybe Brian Cowan. Local authorities have wasted their money on rubbish and big lovely office blocks over the last 15 years and now dont have the money to pay for the.
    - they have 3 billion to build a metro that we dont need but cannot find the money to fix the ancient water system which is more essential than a train or keep the roads clear.

On the plus side for the NRA they havnt had to grit much of the east coast so that will save them alot of salt.

I would like to also point out that it was not just the people outside dublin that have been left abandoned, the main roads were only barly cleared in dublin and county. Dublin city only had 1 plough which they wouldnt even use. Even routes the buses are on which in the past would have been kept clear they were not treating. What I had a problem with is that the ploughs when they did eventually arrive when they drove past my work wouldnt put the ploughs down to help clear the roads so that we could work.

My thoughts are scrap the seperate dublin authorities, only have 1 big one like we used to, get rind of all this duplication of work and jobs and use the money for what people are paying for and business pay thier rates for. Have a proper national emergency department that will do the job properly

sorry for the rant...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Is it me, or is that percip in the Irish Sea now starting to swing westwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sliabh beagh

Nothing here - Palmerstown
    who cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

The front from Wales is starting to move towards the East coast

I really hope this doesn't break up (again)

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Its just you

who cares.

:confused: What's with the attitude?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

I think you're right :) please dont break up percip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

It sure is. Moving NorthWestwards, if anything makes landfall, louth is likely to get the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tibet84

who cares.

Your from Monaghan ffs....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Well in total it is hard to believe just how poorly the Dublin folk and east have done so far from this synoptic! Sometimes you are just in the wrong place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

who cares.
    Not nice dude,people are generally not like that in here.

Well in total it is hard to believe just how poorly the Dublin folk and east have done so far from this synoptic! Sometimes you are just in the wrong place!

Someone get out and push lol

LINK?

exactly. anything i've seen no cloud or anything coming near us

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭goodies

weathercheck can I ask you in your opinion is this over for the east or are we just going to need a little more patience? big question I know but lady here who made herself go out for a few hours today to get off these boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Not nice dude,people are generally not like that in here.

Neither are most Monaghan people.

although there is cloud to our south. havent been looking south, been looking towards galway. where did that come from

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

ME have snow for parts of ulster and connaught on wednesday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Its showing precipitation over Mayo for a good while, but not a thing has fallen from the sky yet here in Crossmolina

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

I cant believe Castlederg stations reading -15 :eek:

Naas - 9

Here in Cork , the airport is reading -1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sliabh beagh

im not from monaghan peeps. i just dont see why anyone would post to say they have nothing.lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement