Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Yea, :)
    I was watching one heading this way earlier and got a bit excited, then the hailstones started clattering on the window. Ah well.

I noticed this on ME 3hr forcast, a little shower especially for Cork City later, isn't it cute. :D

139997.JPG

Ha :) looks very cute Cú Giobach

http://saturn.unibe.ch/rsbern/noaa/dw/realtime/current/n1bcurr.jpg

The Cork/Kerry coastline is far far warmer than anywhere in the country at the moment , still feels a lot colder here than zero degrees :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tibet84

From Killygordon in Donegal to Gweedore - a distance of about 40km, there is a difference of over 12 degrees in according to NRA Weather Stations!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Rougies wrote: »
    Can you please try this and post results? (I'm serious btw!)
    QUOTE]

Probably about -50 there!

smokin ace wrote: »
    this is what m.t. says but i can see how this will happen

I'd say when it starts moving east it'll be south of us, probably paste southern england again.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

#IWO 23Z TAFs for Dublin and Casement airports have removed any mention of snow up to midnight Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

A relatively balmy -7 here . .might get the bbq out . .:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Villain wrote: »
    -17.7c was the lowest recorded in Carlow in January

it felt like -19 ;)

was it Kilkenny got -19 then?

or did I completely just make that up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

jimmy.d wrote: »
    just looked at bbc weather a few mins ago and it looks impressive for the hole south of the country
    smokin ace wrote: »
    can i have a link to this please :D:D

Here you go.

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    One day of no thaw on 3 inches, try a week and a half of no thaw on 16 inches then a slow thaw. Road still is totally covered in compact snow and ice here, i still have a a foot of snow piled at my back door(where snow fell from the roof).

Did you read that post at all? there was a serious message in it and it's not a competition :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bobby14

Can you please try this and post results? (I'm serious btw!)

didn't freeze!!! god knows what temp the coffee froze at!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭lollb

Hi in Enniscorthy Wexford, its currently -7!!!! just wondering do you think we will get more snow from the radars?? according to forecast met reckon we might get some on sun eve or mon?? just wondering what others think!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

A relatively balmy -7 here . .might get the bbq out . .:P

LOL @ thetonynator :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Probably about -50 there!

Yeah probably. Aw well, worth a shot. After reading the comments on that youtube video I;ve come up with another experiment. Can the ladies of the weather forum please step outside for a minute or two and post results!? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

better see some snow falling in the morning

foxinsox wrote: »
    it felt like -19 ;)

was it Kilkenny got -19 then?

or did I completely just make that up?

I'm afraid you made it up! -16.3 in january, -16.4 two weeks ago.

EDIT: the all time low is -19 point something, think it was recorded in 79 . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

lollb wrote: »
    Hi in Enniscorthy Wexford, its currently -7!!!! just wondering do you think we will get more snow from the radars?? according to forecast met reckon we might get some on sun eve or mon?? just wondering what others think!!!

no dont think you will, the low is to far south again might only skim the south coast

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭TFK

Yeah probably. Aw well, worth a shot. After reading the comments on that youtube video I;ve come up with another experiment. Can the ladies of the weather forum please step outside for a minute or two and post results!? :D

Yes it's cold enough to punch paper :)

bobby14 wrote: »
    didn't freeze!!! god knows what temp the coffee froze at!!

Thanks.

Maybe later it'll be cold enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

I don't need to go outside - it's bloody freezing in here. Results not fit for posting but safe to say i've somewhere to hang my hat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

I'm afraid you made it up! -16.3 in january, -16.4 two weeks ago.

EDIT: the all time low is -19 point something, think it was recorded in 79 . . .

I investigated further..

Although I do make quite a lot of things up it seems I did actually have the -19c located somewhere in the nether regions of my brain..

I got the quote from irishtimes.com

Mr. ever so clever helpful, informative and most learned weather expert said the coldest temperature recorded in Ireland was -19.1 at Markree Castle in Co Sligo on January 16th, 1881. The coldest day in the 20th century was January 2nd, 1979, when a reading of -18.8 was taken at Lullymore, Co Kildare.

So I kinda lied and for this I apologise profusely to you all! :o

• Advertisement

TFK wrote: »
    Yes it's cold enough to punch paper :)

Thanks for the feedback :D

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

-8 in dublin 5

Thanks.

Maybe later it'll be cold enough :)

I would say it would be well below anything in ireland for that to happen. maybe -30 or -40?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭TFK

Thanks for the feedback :D

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭lollb

no dont think you will, the low is to far south again might only skim the south coast

Thanks Musicman thats such good news you wouldnt believe!!! still have some of the last bit in the garden!!!!!

-8 in dublin 5

at the airport too . . .at 11pm.

Looking dry until Christmas now :pac:

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

Today

Extremely cold tonight witch patches of freezing fog. Some snow showers will fall in Connacht, west Munster and along coasts of north Leinster. The lowest temperatures will be between -4 to -10 degrees with a widespread severe frost.
    hr.gif

Tomorrow

Tomorrow, Sunday will be a very cold day. It will be bright in most areas with some sunny spells, but freezing fog may persist in places. Some further snow showers will fall in the north, west and southwest. Bitterly cold again with top temperatures between -3 and +2 degrees in light winds.

Outlook

GENERAL: The bitterly cold conditions will persist for the week, with milder weather gradually approaching from the southwest near Christmas. Many places will stay dry until Christmas Eve with just scattered snow showers mainly in coastal counties. DETAILS: Monday night will be extremely cold with lowest temperatures between -5 and -10, possibly even lower over snow fields. There will be a few snow showers, mainly in coastal areas, and winds will be light. Freezing fog will form in some areas as well. It will stay very cold on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday with afternoon temperatures staying below freezing in many areas and night time temperatures falling between -5 and -12 degrees in slack winds with a continuing risk of freezing fog. There will be some snow showers with coastal areas most at risk. It will probably stay cold on Friday, Christmas Eve, but milder weather with rain and wind is approaching from the southwest, however it is not certain yet whether this milder weather will spread countrywide on Christmas day or that it will stay cold for the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

Wind and cloudy starting to pick up here in Cork now..........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Should be a brief but moderate snow shower hitting the Clogherhead area in Co. Louth. Radar has it set a bit further south than it is, as there's quite the dark cloud to my NE.

• Advertisement

I would say it would be well below anything in ireland for that to happen. maybe -30 or -40?

You're probably right. It was worth a shot anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement