Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Ok, looking at the forecast and making a sort-of educated guess, it appears that the wind directions at various levels of the atmosphere don't help shower development that much but it's enough? I'd also say that it improves a bit as time goes on during the night, but I don't know much moisture and convection is expected over the night. Having looked at relative humidity forecasts higher up in the atmosphere, there could be weak streamers here and there going on towards 6am? I haven't really tried to make predictions with this amount of info for such a mesoscale feature before so don't kill me if I get it wrong:o

Oh and the sat is continuing to show a weak and delicate band and showers trying to get going, good news I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭goodies

Just went outside and car temp in d8 is minus 4.5....reading through the posts this is positively sunny day compared to others being reported...started thinking about homeless people though and wondering does anybody know the stats on how safe it is to be outside on a night like this? or somebody in a really cold zone falling after a christmas night out???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

strange problem with radar, difference between 15min updates and the 5min updates.

The 0000 update is like the 5min updated ones but im sure the one at 0015 will be have more precip back up in the Irish sea ala the 2345 etc..

But i don't know which is right, best keep an eye on the satellite.

It did that the last time we had streamers, i hope its running the same glitch.

Weathercheck, what do you think of the little bits of precipitation coming across mid England, do you think they might beef up when they hit the Irish sea ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Another piece seems to be heading for north Wicklow / south Dublin at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Ok, looking at the forecast and making a sort-of educated guess, it appears that the wind directions at various levels of the atmosphere don't help shower development that much but it's enough? I'd also say that it improves a bit as time goes on during the night, but I don't know much moisture and convection is expected over the night. Having looked at relative humidity forecasts higher up in the atmosphere, there could be weak streamers here and there going on towards 6am? I haven't really tried to make predictions with this amount of info for such a mesoscale feature so don't kill me if I get it wrong:o

The Irish Sea has never let me down before and I'm not gonna let it tonight either. The Isle of man has ruined it for some in the past but at the moment the sea track is more SE, which is new territory. Interesting stuff :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 rbelmc

just drove down from cork and there was a light snow shower between cork and carrigaline
    at home in crosshaven now and the wind has really picked up here on the coast since earlier this evening
    also feels much milder in the air so i think we will get some snow on the south coast tonight for sure

00:30 looking good, still coming our way

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭bassy

inabina wrote: »
    cum on give it to us. cum on!!

DRINK ANYONE?

Ye I'll have what ever your having ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

rbelmc wrote: »
    just drove down from cork and there was a light snow shower between cork and carrigaline
    at home in crosshaven now and the wind has really picked up here on the coast since earlier this evening
    also feels much milder in the air so i think we will get some snow on the south coast tonight for sure

I'm fairly confident even i know nothing about this that we will get snow tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

I know most of us are looking longingly at the little specks on the Irish Sea and the Wifi signals south of Cork, but look at the hammering west Galway/Sligo are getting with no let up sight :eek:

It's been going on for hours there, I wouldn;t be suprised to hear reports of 2 foot of snow there in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭bluefirefly

man just got home from work. minus 8 degrees! freezing!
    carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

irish1967 wrote: »
    Is that lump over mayo ever gonna make further northeast ?? Been there nearly all day !!:(

Ive had that lump over me for most of the night Irish and haven't had one flake from it.

I think its dropping a bit when it first hits land in Galway and then the mountains are draining it.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭jimmy.d

dacogawa wrote: »
    It did that the last time we had streamers, i hope its running the same glitch.

Weathercheck, what do you think of the little bits of precipitation coming across mid England, do you think they might beef up when they hit the Irish sea ?
    it looks goodhttp://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htmpress on nedbor on the site

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Percent of Precip over Limerick? Anyone? Almost begging here :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

For those of us with iPhone etc and the accuweather app, it just got a nice update firmware wise. Seems to be a more detailed report and has integrated maps

The 3 hour forecast is moving in the right direction, at least for Louth residents anyway. bulk of precip has shifted towards the sw.

12.45 sat image is holding steady, but like I said the showers are going to be weak! The big question is whether there will be continued convection and I'm not so certain about that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

goodies wrote: »
    Just went outside and car temp in d8 is minus 4.5....reading through the posts this is positively sunny day compared to others being reported..

For comparison it was -9.7 near Athboy, Meath at the same time. Apparent temp is -13c thanks to high 70% Humidity and a slight wind chill.

I have a weather station running for a long while now:
    http://weather.netcessible.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

rbelmc wrote: »

I wouldn't be so sure about that. ;)
    Earlier the wind picked up here (coast near clonakilty) the temp jumped from -1.4c to 2c (currently 3.2c) and then it rained. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Matt Simis wrote: »
    For comparison it was -9.7 near Athboy, Meath at the same time. Apparent temp is -13c thanks to high 70% Humidity and a slight wind chill.

Matt Simis congrats on a nice station ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Thread views: 303,370

Most popular weather thread ever?

• Advertisement

That radar is messing with us again, what is on it has bulked up a bit, next one is crucial, fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭goodies

Matt Simis wrote: »

Thank you for this...amazing comparison and well done on your fab station...what do you think of my question of people being outside though...do you have any info on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

dacogawa wrote: »
    That radar is messing with us again, what is on it has bulked up a bit, next one is crucial, fingers crossed

yeh , what's going on with it ? i'm not going to fooled into it bulking up though, it's just teasing me at this stage , humph ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

snow ghost wrote: »
    Ive had that lump over me for most of the night Irish and haven't had one flake from it.

I think its dropping a bit when it first hits land in Galway and then the mountains are draining it.

When it hits the N Mayo coast if just dies. I really do think as I have been saying since early today that the NW has got it's snow and won't see another flake here at my location.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

clear skys here, bar the odd little cloud,

only -1, :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Just drove home and had -6 on the car gauge.. not bad for Waterford.

Ive accepted that theres gonna be no snow here tonight.. too many stars for it! :D

yeh , what's going on with it ? i'm not going to fooled into it bulking up though, it's just teasing me at this stage , humph ..

once every so often it seems to miss the lower (0-1) precipitation, well find out in 5 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

matchthis wrote: »
    For those of us with iPhone etc and the accuweather app, it just got a nice update firmware wise. Seems to be a more detailed report and has integrated maps

Yeah I updated earlier. Take a while to get used to. I have most weather apps on my iPhone 4. Most are fairly hit and miss. Weather pro does have the raintoday radar which is handy. Temps and conditions and forecasts are different on all of them though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

i hope we get a bit of a covering here in D5 from that shower

• Advertisement

Satellite showing no further convection out in Irish Sea. Places which should see a cm maybe would be an area between e.g. Dunleer and Castlebellingham. Possibly towards Dundalk also. Drogheda and outlying areas can expect a dusting.

Further south, not sure what areas as wind direction is being awkward so I'd say there'll probably be a dusting between Drogheda and Skerries also, more scattered below that as to whether there'll be a centimetre or nothing I'm afraid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement