Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Right, for the few people who are constantly saying there are streamers forming out in the Irish sea, come on, there measly showers..

Streamers are larger area's precip, which will rapidly intensify on it's journey to the shore.When they make landfall, they dont weaken, and can last hours and hours, bringing heavy snow. After a good while they eventually weaken and die out. Mostly streamers consist of non-moving streamers, as in where they barely nudge at all, but continue to back build, then there are streamers that move with the upper winds, but take a good long while to weaken, though bringing a shorter time of precipitation...

And then there are snow trains, which are basically streamers, but can hae slight interivals between bursts of snow, which is what many experienced 2 weeks ago.

Showers, well showers die out pretty quickly once they hit the shore, with the exception of some heavy or rogue showers.

But hey, were all desperate here on the east coast, we just want snow I guess lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Picked up on the 01:00 :) I hope its what I think (but I'm not saying, dont want to jinx it)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Showers (slow moving) heading toward Dub now - expect 1 - 2cm in the next hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Rougies wrote: »
    I know most of us are looking longingly at the little specks on the Irish Sea and the Wifi signals south of Cork, but look at the hammering west Galway/Sligo are getting with no let up sight :eek:

It's been going on for hours there, I wouldn;t be suprised to hear reports of 2 foot of snow there in the morning.
    It's only the very Western part of Galway although I hope that changes. Slight Easterly breeze in Claregalway though so not looking good for any more here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

John.Icy wrote: »
    Right, for the few people who are constantly saying there are streamers
    forming out in the Irish sea, come on, there measely showers..

Streamers are larger area's precip, which will rapidly intensify on it's journey to the shore.When they make landfall, they dont weaken, and can last hours and hours, bringing heavy snow. After a good while they eventually weaken and die out. Mostly streamers consist of non-moving streamers, as in where they barely nudge at all, but continue to back build, then there are streamers that move with the upper winds, but take a good long while to weaken, though bringing a shorter time of precipitation...

And then there are snow trains, which are basically streamers, but can hae slight interivals between bursts of snow, which is what many experienced 2 weeks ago.

Showers, well showers die out pretty quickly once they hit the shore, with the exception of some heavy or rogue showers.
    Sounds like you're describing the effects of a convergence zone? I've referred to them (them being the type of showers which hit Leinster 2 weeks ago) before as snow trains but streamers are a term that's stuck on this forum over the last couple of weeks. And generally all convective showers in this part of the world will weaken somewhat as soon as they hit land. I've rarely seen convergence zones forecast and they tend to be associated with places like Cornwall in SW England.

And yes, they're a few measly showers but it's always nice to clutch at straws:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

matchthis wrote: »
    For those of us with iPhone etc and the accuweather app, it just got a nice update firmware wise. Seems to be a more detailed report and has integrated maps

Which app is this? There's a free one and a paid one. I've had Irish weather one but maybe might get another!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭goodies

WARNING TOO MUCH INFORMATION FOR SOME WEATHER WATCHERS...

well John Icy...thank you for this information...my husband has been calling for a while now saying "are you coming up to bed now" do you think I would have better odds leaving boards and following up or staying on here and following the streamers????

Sounds like you're describing the effects of a convergence zone? I've referred to them before as snow trains but streamers are a term that's stuck on this forum over the last couple of weeks. And generally all convective showers in this part of the world will weaken somewhat as soon as they hit land. I've rarely seen convergence zones forecast and they tend to be associated with places like Cornwall in SW England.

And yes, they're a few measly showers but it's always nice to clutch at straws:D

:D
    I know, streamer is a nice word, so It'll be used frequently..lol

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

Right, for the few people who are constantly saying there are streamers forming out in the Irish sea, come on, there measly showers..

yeh, we're pretty desperate here on the east coast, shower , streamer , upgrade , downgrade , round the f****n bend grade , give me some motherf*****N snow man :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

I think everyone should just resign to the fact that the action is over for tonight.
    Far west connemara and Kerry seem to be the only places in on the action.
    Go to bed.
    If you wake up to snow then happy days!

• Advertisement

goodies wrote: »

well John Icy...thank you for this information...my husband has been calling for a while now saying "are you coming up to bed now" do you think I would have better odds leaving boards and following up or staying on here and following the streamers????

Dublin could be in line for a shower or so in the next while...I'd wait up ;)

Does this seem about right (if it doesn't break up) ?

picture.php?albumid=1482&pictureid=8214

I think everyone should just resign to the fact that the action is over for tonight.
      Far west connemara and Kerry seem to be the only places in on the action.
      Go to bed.

:pac:

:D
        I know, streamer is a nice word, so It'll be used frequently..lol

Also convergence zones or snow trains or whatever you call them tend not to be very wide no matter what the circumstances are. Like no more than 15km wide in my experience? Anything that was stationary and wider is often a trough which is sliding over the one location, like the one in central Scotland 2 weeks ago on Monday. They were badly caught out by a front that didn't really feel like moving either northwards or southwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭joe199

bring it on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Small shower/showers going to hit dublin soo i reckon. The next radar update will confirm this i hope. :)

goodies wrote: »

Get them goodies up to bed! You won't miss much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Cork Airport now reading +1 degrees

It seems the Cork/Kerry coastline is far warmer than anywhere esle in the country

Lots of cloud building up off the south coast !

5 degrees Sherkin Is
        2 degrees Valentia

-3 Wexford
        -9 Dublin Airport
        -8 Shannonbridge
        -14 Castlederg

Also convergence zones or snow trains or whatever you call them tend not to be very wide no matter what the circumstances are. Like no more than 15km wide in my experience? Anything that was stationary and wider is often a trough which is sliding over the one location, like the one in central Scotland 2 weeks ago on Monday. They were badly caught out by a front that didn't really feel like moving either northwards or southwards.

Yeah, any type of trough/streamer are nasty...
        A good example of a true streamer was the Isle of Man one over Wales yesterday...barely budged a mile :)

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭laurence997

Lads, any chance of the showers off the west coast being blown twoards clare, or will the winds from the east that are forecast blow them away altogether? Thanks

• Advertisement

01:15 http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ looking good :) I'm not going to bed now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

dacogawa wrote: »
        Does this seem about right (if it doesn't break up) ?

picture.php?albumid=1482&pictureid=8214

Gwan ye good ting!! :D Bray hasn't been under a streamer since Sunday Nov 30th. At least we might wake up to maybe a dusting to make the place look more festive.

By the way. Trogdors station at Bray harbour is showing a temp of -4.7 !! and a DP of -6.6 !!

Stargate wrote: »
        Cork Airport now reading +1 degrees

It seems the Cork/Kerry coastline is far warmer than anywhere esle in the country

Lots of cloud building up off the south coast !

5 degrees Sherkin Is
        2 degrees Valentia

-3 Wexford
        -9 Dublin Airport
        -8 Shannonbridge
        -14 Castlederg
        Repost?
        Or I am imagining it?

Looking at the latest Met.ie radar update..not what Dublin wants to see...

However Rain.today looks better...

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭kwik

Repost?
        Or I am imagining it?
        updated temps on it

Yeah, any type of trough/streamer are nasty...
        A good example of a true streamer was the Isle of Man one over Wales yesterday...barely budged a mile :)

Damn it, I never paid that any attention as there was so much talk of models and whatnot and I very much had my IMBY hat on. When you refer to a streamer, are you talking about something more organised between two airmasses or merely a particular type of convection?

I'm off to bed now in any case, but it's always nice to learn something about a recent weather event:)

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

jus lookin at rain today , and that mass jus south of cork has really growin quiet a bit ...... what are the chances of that goin a bit more to the east and hitting the south coast ye think ??????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Repost?
        Or I am imagining it?

no redsteveireland . different Temps , others are from earlier :)

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

I can see a a band of cloud from my attic window out in the irish sea beyond dublin port, probably 1/2 hr -hour away. Pretty noticeable seeing as theres not another cloud in the sky. Whether its coming staright in or moving further north I don't know.

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Looking at the latest Met.ie radar update..not what Dublin wants to see...

However Rain.today looks better...

Met.ie hasnt updated to 01:15 yet though, and as you say its looking good on raintoday.

This discussion has been closed.
      Advertisement