Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The cloud might impact on a potential record breaker in Dublin.

Currently -9c at the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Calibos wrote: »
    Gwan ye good ting!! :D Bray hasn't been under a streamer since Sunday Nov 30th. At least we might wake up to maybe a dusting to make the place look more festive.

By the way. Trogdors station at Bray harbour is showing a temp of -4.7 !! and a DP of -6.6 !!

Trogdors station at Bray harbour

Do you have a link for that Calibos ? Tnx

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

Hmm , I bet dublin 5 wiil be under that gap when it passes overhead :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Looking like midlands will be hit tomorrow then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

John.Icy wrote: »
    Looking at the latest Met.ie radar update..not what Dublin wants to see...

However Rain.today looks better...

Raintoday radar has it intensifying if anything as it gets closer to the coast. Well certainly the chunk heading towards Bray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Damn it, I never paid that any attention as there was so much talk of models and whatnot and I very much had my IMBY hat on. When you refer to a streamer, are you talking about something more organised between two airmasses or merely a particular type of convection?

I'm off to bed now in any case, but it's always nice to learn something about a recent weather event:)

Merely a type of convection, A streamer is just the opposite of a shower really. Where a shower could give you a dusting, a proper streamer could dump near a foot, like the one over Wales on Firday...

Aswell, with Sea temps dropping, it's unlikely to see the stunning convection we saw in November until the sea's begin to warm-up.

Stargate wrote: »

http://www.brayweather.com/Current_Vantage_Pro.htm

Calibos wrote: »

Excellent Calibos ..thank you ! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Met.ie hasnt updated to 01:15 yet though, and as you say its looking good on raintoday.

It has now :)

Best bet for Dublin is the SHOWER off the Wicklow coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

sky starting to cloud over in dalkey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Stargate wrote: »

Stargate here's a link to loads of them

http://www.irelandsweather.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Lads, any chance of the showers off the west coast being blown twoards clare, or will the winds from the east that are forecast blow them away altogether? Thanks

Oh just wait till summer..when we get our heatwave :D

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Couldnt sleep so back to the couch:D Bar the met eireann 3 hour forecast precipitation and the hirlams from here DMI - Vejrkort and here EMHI anyone have any other reliable precipitation forecasts that include the sw of ireland?
    Things are moving very slow on the radars.

Regards fellow nightowls

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

might take a fair while for these to get onland
    i would reckon for Dublin the patch furthest south is the best hope as the wind appears to be pushing then NNW

dacogawa wrote: »
    Stargate here's a link to loads of them

http://www.irelandsweather.com/

Tnx dacogawa , have all those , just didnt have Trogdors station link :)

01:30 looking better. come on in, we've been waiting quite some time for you!:D

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Its building up to the south of it as well

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

John.Icy wrote: »
    Merely a type of convection, A streamer is just the opposite of a shower really. Where a shower could give you a dusting, a proper streamer could dump near a foot, like the one over Wales on Firday...

Aswell, with Sea temps dropping, it's unlikely to see the stunning convection we saw in November until the sea's begin to warm-up.
    Thanks, just realised why I was confused. I missed the bit where you said that shower-trains are like streamers except less continuous. What you said earlier makes perfect sense now. From what hit this part of the world nearly 2 weeks ago, the showers were continuous and the only reason why there were breaks in snow was because the wind direction was a little frisky. So "streamer" was reasonably apt especially when some of them reached Athlone and east Galway:pac: Also north and central Wales had the advantage of a rather majestic sea fetch and unhindered by a certain IoM;) Merely a case of degrees of magnitude!

Speaking of which, i hope those on the north leinster coast enjoy their dusting this evening;)

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

01:30 looking better. come on in, we've been waiting quite some time for you!:D

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Ah feck it, I was just about to go to bed but that actually looks a bit of a tease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Shower has intensified and gotten closer to dublin on the 1:30 update!! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

might take a fair while for these to get onland
    i would reckon for Dublin the patch furthest south is the best hope as the wind appears to be pushing then NNW

Yes, it's unclear what is heading where right now - but currently near Malahide light snow I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭goodies

Ah feck it, I was just about to go to bed but that actually looks a bit of a tease.

you are telling me! I may need to be googling marriage guidance services soon.....

can see cb clouds just off the coast here in dalkey moving in a NW/NNW direction.

Just nipped out for a cig (I think this is just as addictive now, going to need snow rehab) and I see cloud from sandymount :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Hmm , I bet dublin 5 wiil be under that gap when it passes overhead :(
    and here :mad:,but keep the faith

interesting. Dusting looking likely http://www.met.ie/forecasts/3hour.asp

1:45 in, start putting your hand out the window people on the coast & looking at the lampost

1:45 in, start putting your hand out the window people on the coast & looking at the lampost

oh don't do this to me!!!! still can see stars in the sky here in d8...some pinky cloud coming though or that is the wine fog

goodies wrote: »
    oh don't do this to me!!!! still can see stars in the sky here in d8...some pinky cloud coming though or that is the wine fog

Dont worry, at the speed this is moving you can go to bed and it will arrive when you wake up

Does the -4.9 temp and -6.7 dp at my location in Bray have any bearing on the type of frozen precipitation that falls? If so what do you think will fall?

Will I be:

A. Ah FFS its poxy Hail
    B. Meh, tiny poxy grains
    C. Mmm, Graupel, s'ok I s'pose

or D. Big fluffy mother f**kin' flakes yo. Gimme all you got for the next hour you mofo!!

:D

• Advertisement

Dont worry, at the speed this is moving you can go to bed and it will arrive when you wake up

thank you...I am wrecked from this stormchasing epsiode tonight. I am going to retire now and in the morning I will awake to a pristine white blanket....keep the faith fellow watchers....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement