Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

Just drove from bray to rathfarnam and all I will say is
    Theirs not enough snow! Interesting drive tho in a rwd!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

if i see rain falling in a minute, i'll scream

good morning from cork, nothing fell last night:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭RJC09

some big black clouds over east cork. really hope its not rain in them!

although accuweather is saying it's gonna snow. while it was disastrously wrong last winter with it snow. it's been spot on so far.

oooh, really hope so sunbabe. with the colour of those clouds, something is definitely going to fall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Looks like Paddy Power have realised they will be taken to the cleaners for the dublin tempertures bet :D

Weather Betting Unavailable
    Sorry, we currently do not offer betting on Weather

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭NoodleMc

Woke to (and I'm not kidding here) 10 times as much snow as yesterday!

Had 1mm yesterday and 1cm today! :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

RJC09 wrote: »
    some big black clouds over east cork. really hope its not rain in them!

If it were me, I'd be hoping those clouds stay away! A balmy 5c at Sherkin Island at 0800!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 rbelmc

a little rain overnight here in crosshaven co.cork
    thaw underway?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

Can someone tell me if it's going to snow in Tipperary Town............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Magnum wrote: »
    Can someone tell me if it's going to snow in Tipperary Town............

NO!

oooh, really hope so sunbabe. with the colour of those clouds, something is definitely going to fall.

it better be snow

window watching time, closing the window if it's rain

• Registered Users Posts: 14,492 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

As I mentioned in the forecast thread, all questions about "will it snow?" in south central, southeast Ireland, are basically on the radar-watch for the answer, there is no firm indication from models of anything more than scattered flurries, but there is also nothing to say that more moisture couldn't start spreading towards the coast from the southeast, as the flow is about right and it's basically cold enough inland, mild enough over the sea, to create a frontal boundary near the coast.

I think the chances are good that one of these "maybe" situations will turn into a go, but would advise patience. While it's frustrating as a forecaster, it's probably better for the economy and for travellers at this holiday time to get through this maze of half chances with as little snow as possible -- but of course the weather fanatics want to see some. I'm just trying to call it the way I see it, and the absence of modelled precip with lows to the south is concerning me. I'm noticing precip spreading north towards England much faster than models had depicted. This may be an indication that these relatively weak lows are not easily modelled and perhaps Ireland will get the same moisture increase later today, or on Monday.

The above comments are separate from any consideration of Irish Sea streamers which are going to be possible each day through about Thursday, but probably not each day in the same location.

Now as to Cork -- the milder air has oozed inland about that far but later today as the gradient wind increases, there may be a tendency for the weak frontal boundary to back up to the south allowing cold air to undercut the mild air, and turning any rain that might start to fall, to snow. This may also be the case along the south coast about as far east as Dunvargan, east of there I don't foresee much mixing of any precip.

Inland higher parts of Kerry and west Cork may be in for a heavy snowfall although it has stopped moving east at this point. It may start to edge east again soon.

thank you M.T :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Still no snow in Portmarnock !:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

snowww wrote: »
    Any chance of it hitting north carlow ?

Carlow current temp -1.8

www.carlowweather.com

Says maybe light snow or rain Wednesday.
    No snow accumulation expected.

anyone here from east cork?? dark clouds hanging over in east cork at the moment

hang on wind picking up here as well

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

i have a gut feeling the south east will get nothing out of this current spell so we will have to see if the new year brings anything

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    anyone here from east cork?? dark clouds hanging over in east cork at the moment

ya i'm in east cork, close to castlemartyr. its so dark, i still have all the lights on. those clouds look really full!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

There was a serious heavy frost last night, this morning it's completely gone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

i give up :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

1.4°C rising Lowest -3.7°C @ midnight.
    992.8hPA rising
    Cloudy No Precipitation.

No smell of snow in the air.

Wind Frozen

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

snaps wrote: »
    NO!

You could have just let me down easy:D. Cheers.........

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

i think its all over for us here in kilkenny and the east i'm so disappointed:(

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

sunbabe08 wrote: »

Hail here in east cork now sunbabe

gbee wrote: »
    1.4°C rising Lowest -3.7°C @ midnight.
    992.8hPA rising
    Cloudy No Precipitation.

No smell of snow in the air.

Wind Frozen

nooooooooooooo:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

i dont know, its cloudy i know but there not dark enough id say......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

OK.... Ready for the road... Hmmmm where is the road
    d4b5b6a0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Approximately 3" of snow in mid louth during the early morning.First since two weeks ago.

• Advertisement

Glenviewjf wrote: »
    i dont know, its cloudy i know but there not dark enough id say......
    there was a hail shower and it brightened the clouds up. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement