Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    those clouds are dark over in east cork direction

Started again. Really light but steady.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

Blast of sleet here in Shanbally, Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

starting again. getting bigger now

not looking at weatherchannel.com. it's now saying it's gonna snow for christmas in cork. seriously my heart cant take much more of this up and down business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

Anything for the East out of these streamers?

image.ashx?ok=1&country=gb&type=slide&time=&index=1&sat=

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

Snow falling very slowly here in Dundalk

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

forkassed wrote: »
    Anything for the East out of these streamers?

I'm pretty sure we'll get the odd light shower or flurry, especially if the wind goes north of east a little later (as forecast).

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭laurence997

Oh I'm so sick of these easterly winds. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

starting again. getting bigger now

not looking at weatherchannel.com. it's now saying it's gonna snow for christmas in cork. seriously my heart cant take much more of this up and down business

the weather channel predicts rain for cork on christmas day, it also predicts rain for county meath, i wouldnt worry to much about what that predicts, as it predicted snow for us here in the royal county from friday night past til this morning, and apart from a 30min shower friday evening, we hav'nt seen a flake since

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Okay in malahide, some great cloud over the irish sea. but all last nights frost is gone. prob not cold enough to snow now. is there any snow coming? biggest let down ever

and we're in the money!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭thereturn

the weather channel predicts rain for cork on christmas day, it also predicts rain for county meath, i wouldnt worry to much about what that predicts, as it predicted snow for us here in the royal county from friday night past til this morning, and apart from a 30min shower friday evening, we hav'nt seen a flake since

it snowed in laytown last night

grand and sunny in county meath now, twas -10 here at 3am this morning, warmed up nicely a bit since though

thereturn wrote: »
    it snowed in laytown last night

well laytown is on the coast, it would have got any shower activity going,

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

yet in all there's a mean looking cloud base over ye,
    Its very strange after all the white.
    It's almost tropical in youghal at 2degrees!

just had a vey light rogue snow shower here south of Arklow in off the sea.
    The air temp got up to 3.8c
    dp -2c

I would suggest those of you with an interest in this subject get their hands on an outdoor weather station-theres one for a tenner in maplins I believe.
    If it doesn't tell you dp in your area,just calculate it.
    Google is your friend for the formula.
    You will need to know outside humidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Snowmageddon bol*ox fail. I'm using mystic meg from now on, sorry lads, no disrespect to the resident experts, in fairness to all, temps were bang on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Light snow/sleet mixture in Dundalk over the past hour or so. We had a few powder showers overnight too judging by the car. Oddly the temp was barely below freezing here overnight and it's hovering around +2C since sun up.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭xTanyax

Morning all,
    there's a lot of snow clouds above now in Dublin 12. Grounds, roads, car tops, roofs etc are all white. I really expected Alot of snow by now! Well we still have tonight & tommorow to see whats happening(and next week of course!). Does anyone know what the best site for the weather is? I know of raintoday & sat24, is this one any good http://www.ogimet.com/loopfmap2.phtml?lang=en&zone=UK00&date=20101218&run=12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭JeanLucPicard

Utterly disappointed.

Does the the latest reports mean no snow at all for Wexford?

Im jealous of the snow everywhere else.

Beth wrote: »
    Its very strange after all the white.
    It's almost tropical in youghal at 2degrees!

time to get out the shorts and go for a swim in youghal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

If the winds are now easterly what are the chances of that big as cloud on the 900 satellite over south uk crossing the Irish sea to us?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Light and steady and hasn't stopped.

Gotta try and get to work now. If anything, barring the journey, it'll be a stress free day in retail considering its 4 days before Christmas :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

i do believe ive witnessed the coldest temp in my time around last night -13 according to my digital thermometer which is usually pretty accurate in fairness, was at about 9.15 pm or so :eek:

my room is now nice and toasty. forgot i had no radiator on in my room. normally dont need it on. but boy i need it now

oh more snow for the northside of cork

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

time to get out the shorts and go for a swim in youghal.
    Too late - didnt stop :D
    Is the snow still falling?

Beth wrote: »
    Too late - didnt stop :D
    Is the snow still falling?

it stopped for 10 minutes and it's going again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Mac_

Unbelievable

Mac_ wrote: »
    Unbelievable

:eek: eeeeek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Not often you can stand in the middle of a national primary route and take pics. Main N56 (Donegal Town Bypass 11:00am Sunday 19/12/10)

d299ff86.jpg
    08cdda4b.jpg

The roads in the town are worse.. and remember the last snow we had was Friday.

0cabfcef.jpg
    cefd5a21.jpg
    59f151bb.jpg

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Ok this is what's happening around Cork.

Persistent light showery outbreaks of hail / snow will likely continue for the day. I can see from Glanmire (where I am) over towards Cobh and it's interesting in that most places are white except for Cobh town area itself.
    This for me perfectly explains the situation with an onshore wind making it rain on the coast itself.

My punt for next 24hours is for several cm's of snow for Cork City but too marginal by the coast which would rule out areas from Youghal to Crosshaven. It may dry out for a while this afternoon before the proper stuff kicks off around midnight

Overall Cork looks best posied of everybody at the moment.:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement