Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭thomasj

D15 is dry and overcast, not a single flake of snow has fell here since the start if this spell.

We got a continous snowshower, heavy at times in the hartstown area about an hour ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭missrandomer

long time follower... first time posting.... hope all is having fun in the snow... slighly jelous, i reeealllly wish it wud snow here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

GFS is going for some remarkable temperatures in the northwest tonight.

Progging temps down to -20c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

What are you talking about? The East (Dublin anyway) doesn't look as if it will be getting a single flake today.

Streamers setting up slowly now, not strong so they won't go far inland, but with a good wind and a shift to NE there should be some more accumulations.

Web_radar.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

GFS min temp forecast doesnt go above 0 in the NW until new years eve :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Cabra

A few flakes at last in Dublin 7 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

I noticed that, incredibal stuff. Expected to be -10 here, again noting unusual in that recently:rolleyes:. I would happily take a -1 with some snow. Never thought I would complain about the ridiculous cold in favour of milder snowier conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭doctorchick

Had to keep looking at that chart to make sure I wasn't misreading it. If that is true there may be a new entry going into the record books tonight. Same chart shows some nasty temps on North Wales tonight too (-23)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,409 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Still very slight snow in D4, main cloud still to the north, hopefully it wont die out before it moves a little further south..like one or two miles south!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Supercell wrote: »
    Still very slight snow in D4, main cloud still to the north, hopefully it wont die out before it moves a little further south..like one or two miles south!

Can see it from here. Seems to have stalled.

-1.0c here atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Not a sausage here in Dublin 20. Dry clear and cold, although Gerry Murphy was on after the news last night almost wetting himself at the thought of some heavy snow hitting the east coast on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

yay it's snowing! (NW lusk)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Just kicked off lightly here in Rush, Nth. Co. Dub

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

anyone having an issue with will it rain today radar at 1530 and 1600 snapshots?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

5 flakes in Leixlip today. Clear skies..it HAS to be below zero, absolutely freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Mollymawk

I think the incredible weather story here is not so much the snow, but the unbelievabe cold, and the extended nature of that cold. Everybody gets excited by snow, of course, but what's going on here is monumental in meteorological terms.
    Here in North County Sligo we got a load of graupel the other night which is still frozen solid to the ground. It's not heavy, and looks reasonably harmless, but the roads are dreadful - practically undriveable.
    I've never seen the skies so clear with the barometer bottomed out at 979 for the last couple of days (don't know about the calibration on our barometer - I'm just watching it for trends).
    But -20 tonight! Eek! My house is normally toasty, but this is a serious challenge. Hot water bottles at the ready!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Not a sausage here in Dublin 20. Dry clear and cold, although Gerry Murphy was on after the news last night almost wetting himself at the thought of some heavy snow hitting the east coast on Tuesday.

We were getting a few small flakes a few min ago. Nothing to write home about though.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Lofty0990

Sorry to disturb - daughter thinking of going by bus to limerick and back (from wexford) over one of the next few days, any snow related reasons not to?

TIA

BTW overcast , dry and -1.5, five miles outside Wexford town

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

any chance of snow in the midlands over the next few days we need a top up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

inabina wrote: »
    anyone having an issue with will it rain today radar at 1530 and 1600 snapshots?

The only issue I'm gaving is that there's no echoes in my general vicinity :D

Hit CTRL and F5 and that'll fix it.

• Advertisement

According to http://www.met.ie/climate/temperature.asp
    The lowest air temperature was -19.1°C measured at Markree Castle, Co. Sligo on 16th January 1881 while the lowest observed 20th century air temperature was -18.8°C recorded at Lullymore, Co. Kildare on 2nd January 1979.

Is tonight the night that the all time record goes?!! Wow!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Warm and Sunny in Limerick.

Its not even minus at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Finally got my snow in malahide, not much but there is a storm brewing. all hail the easterlies!

The clouds outside are looking unreal, could be a snowy night maybe not for me but defo for louth

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

We were getting a few small flakes a few min ago. Nothing to write home about though.

Where is that or is sanity a new town in ire :)

Lovely big flakes drifting around now in D4, very light stuff but pretty all the same :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Finally got my snow in malahide, not much but there is a storm brewing. all hail the easterlies!

The clouds outside are looking unreal, could be a snowy night maybe not for me but defo for louth
    Do you mean Louth will definetly have snow ? or definetly won't >?

Do you mean Louth will definetly have snow ? or definetly won't >?
    definitely will. sure i was in drogheada earlier and got caught in a nice flurry

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

a bit of a thaw going on here still :(

supposed to be snowing now

On a slightly off topic note but im sure of interest to many - winter tyres rule! I drive a rwd 3 series, 2 weeks ago it was next to useless one time couldnt get it out of the estate up a minor hill, today i couldnt get the traction control light on driving the backroads from julianstown to stamullen up big hills covered in snow and ice. amazing fun i had!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    definitely will. sure i was in drogheada earlier and got caught in a nice flurry
    What about dundalk ? :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement