Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

banSHE wrote: »
    wonder what is the story with schools etc for this week??? will they be able to open due to weather and roads??? road conditions in Galway are terrible anyways:(

schooldays.ie i think that's the site..

It was on bottom of rte website, under weather and useful links..

CARLOW current temp -6.1c

I haven't checked for snow, might get off sofa soon and will update :)

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

Keep tuned in to the forecasts, the showers won't make much difference, it will be the winds that primarily will count. I don't expect any problems myself currently but I haven't done much looking into wind forecasts before.

Check http://www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp for a better idea.

Thanks pal! Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Could you give me a lend of your crystal ball?!;)

Over the coming few days, I think that easterlies are bound to deliver along the east coast at some stage, albeit not in very large amounts. This has been shown on several occasions in the past. I won't be leaving the model analysis and satellite imagery too often this week!

But T.B.C, this is completey different to other Easterlies, everything is stagnent, their no cold rushing over the Irish sea to spark up connectivity. People seem to think once we get the Easterly in, its end of November all over again..... It's different now, much different, and M.T sparked way too much hope into some people, including myself going for tonnes of snow... but no-one paid attention to the true synoptics, outside of the Easterly wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

John.Icy wrote: »
    People in the East coast..those showers aren't moving at all....

Secondly, there are no streamers out to sea, there god damn showers....

Streamers, streamers , streamers :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

People in the East coast..those showers aren't moving at all....

Secondly, there are no streamers out to sea, there god damn showers....
    They are moving alright - albeit very slowly. Seem to be some working their way towards the Wicklow coast, from Bray down as far as Arklow. Could be nothing but it's the most interesting happening right now for folks in that neck of the woods.

It's -3.5°C here (Wicklow) with DP of -5.1°C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

banSHE wrote: »
    wonder what is the story with schools etc for this week??? will they be able to open due to weather and roads??? road conditions in Galway are terrible anyways:(

Check with your local radio station.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

They are moving alright - albeit very slowly. Seem to be some working their way towards the Wicklow coast, from Bray down as far as Arklow. Could be nothing but it's the most interesting happening right now for folks in that neck of the woods.

It's -3.5°C here (Wicklow) with DP of -5.1°C

Thank you, you have just made my weekend:pac: lets hope it happens:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

But T.B.C, this is completey different to other Easterlies, everything is stagnent, their no cold rushing over the Irish sea to spark up connectivity. People seem to think once we get the Easterly in, its end of November all over again..... It's different now, much different, and M.T sparked way too much hope into some people, including myself going for tonnes of snow... but no-one paid attention to the true synoptics, outside of the Easterly wind.
    But it's not in some ways:) And the pressure is much lower than other setups that I've seen hit the east coast before. Furthermore, the presence of cold air is well established over this part of the world. The main thing that's needed is some favourable upper atmosphere winds. Even with today's mediocrity I've seen about 2 inches of snow. The Irish Sea SSTs are still nearly as high as they were about 2 weeks ago, or so they were when I checked before the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭taffy lulu

I've just been on willitraintoday.co.uk and I'm wondering if the blob will hit inland and if it does will it contain snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

taffy lulu wrote: »
    I've just been on willitraintoday.co.uk and I'm wondering if the blob will hit inland and if it does will it contain snow.

looks interesting... looks to be grown as it pushes in , an hour will tell a lot....
    its very cold out so i would imagine if anything falls it will be snow....:) thats if it reaches inland of course...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭taffy lulu

NIALL D wrote: »
    looks interesting... looks to be grown as it pushes in , an hour will tell a lot....
    its very cold out so i would imagine if anything falls it will be snow....:) thats if it reaches inland of course...
    Yeah I hope it doesn't disappear as it travels over the sea - it's a monster right now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

But it's not in some ways:) And the pressure is much lower than other setups that I've seen hit the east coast before. Furthermore, the presence of cold air is well established over this part of the world. The main thing that's needed is some favourable upper atmosphere winds. Even with today's mediocrity I've seen about 2 inches of snow. The Irish Sea SSTs are still nearly as high as they were about 2 weeks ago, or so they were when I checked before the weekend.

But, you said yourself cold air is already established over these parts, that's the problem.

Think about for the east last time in early December.. On The tuesday, the first day of the sevre snow in the east... We began to get a milder influence off the sea, before the seriously cold uppers returned that evening, which sparked all the proper snow trains and streamers. The cold stayed travelling till Thursday..when the cold finally became stagnent.

Look at N.I the other day. The cold uppers rushing towards them sparked major convection over the north sea. The cold air kept moving south till late Frifay, meaning the cold over N.I kept moving to, then on Saturday, it all went stagnent..The cold was just there in a blank wind. So the convection all but stopped it's onslaught.

Now Ireland is stuck in a stagnent airmass. The winds are starting to increase, but if nothing good (better development of "showers" :P) happens by tonight in terms of convection over the Irish sea, It spells sour for the next few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

light snow in east dalkey, slight dusting to add to last night's cm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

TV3ONLINE_europe_today.jpg

A fancy chart to impress you all with my weather prediction skills ;)

Apparantly it will be 1 in Ireland :)

CARLOW current temp. -6.6c

no snow..
    I checked..

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

really growing now that mass in the south.. hopefully it keeps pushing up inland.. could give a nice pasting...
    will be interesting to see how its goin by 12 , 1 tonight...:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

2 Big blobs heading for kerry:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mickelj

Long time lurker 1st post.

It's snowing now in Sandyford :D hope it lasts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

So I'm guessing Waterford's getting no snow? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Mickelj wrote: »

Where in Sandyford awwwww there it is it fell in my garden lol

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

is shankill getting snow tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Mickelj wrote: »

Welcome & Thanks :)

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    So I'm guessing Waterford's getting no snow? :(

I think you'll get your turn, from the look of this you'll get a lot on Tuesday http://www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp

Dont hold me to it though, it is the met after all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

2 Big blobs heading for kerry:eek:

Hope you've stocked up again Jonjo ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

still light snow in east dalkey, slight dusting

torres9kop wrote: »
    is shankill getting snow tonight?

You might get a dusting soon, keep an eye on http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

It's all up in the air (excuse the pun) at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

Will Dundalk get any snow soon ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

NIALL D wrote: »
    really growing now that mass in the south.. hopefully it keeps pushing up inland.. could give a nice pasting...
    will be interesting to see how its goin by 12 , 1 tonight...:)

grow baby grow!!! pretty pls!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭kwik

snowing in ballyfermot only light though

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭chris2007

Will coolock be getting any more snow tonight/tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

chucken1 wrote: »
    Hope you've stocked up again Jonjo ;)

I have only 14 bottles of London Pride left:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement