Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

theres no clear pattern to the movement of those damm showers in the irish sea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

I have only 14 bottles of London Pride left:(

:D nice and malty for the time of the year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Will Dundalk get any snow soon ?

Doesn't look good for Dundalk, you need the wind to change
    chris2007 wrote: »
    Will coolock be getting any more snow tonight/tomorrow?

Something might blow in off the Irish sea

keep an eye here for updates in your area http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ I'm off to have some beer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sundog1

Hi all,my first post here. Well here in ashbourne all we have had is a few flurries so far during this cold spell nothing more. However i still belive the east will see a reasonable amount of snow before the end of the cold spell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

inabina wrote: »
    theres no clear pattern to the movement of those damm showers in the irish sea

A big chunk that [looked like it] was headed for Wicklow/Arklow seems to have broken off and is just hovering now! The other piece seems to be making it's way to Greysones/Kilcoole/Newtownmountkennedy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Before I go anyone think the bit on the East coast of N.Ireland for the last few hours (dissipating now 20:30 map) will re-appear in the Irish sea & hit the east coast ?

Now its really beer & TV time for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

i think people are getting there hopes up about whats going on in the irish sea for the east coast they wont bring much apart from the the very odd light flurry but things might change if the wind picks up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

sundog1 wrote: »
    Hi all,my first post here. Well here in ashbourne all we have had is a few flurries so far during this cold spell nothing more. However i still belive the east will see a reasonable amount of snow before the end of the cold spell.

Welcome aboard, spare some change?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Its 1c outside my house now and I am expecting some activity from the southern cloud sometime over the next hour, my big fear it that the precipitation would fall as rain, although hopefully it will cool sufficiently on its way to ground level to produce snowflakes. However anything originating in the south or west is never too promising for Snow, considering sea temps of the SW coast are warm now this will most likely fall as sleet or rain.

Fingers crossed for snow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

snowing lightly in dalkey for about 30 minutes now. Slight dusting, very slow moving shower.

bit heavier now

• Advertisement

smokin ace wrote: »
    i think people are getting there hopes up about whats going on in the irish sea they wont bring much apart from the the very odd light flurry but things might change if the wind picks up

Can only speak for myself but I'm not expecting anything from it really. Just clutching at straws. At best a dusting - but I'd take that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Welcome aboard, spare some change?

Dont mind him Sundog..he'll only use it to buy beer :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

According to google weather it is -1c in Skibbereen which has the edge of the cloud just over it, it is looking good for the white stuff!

A big chunk that [looked like it] was headed for Wicklow/Arklow seems to have broken off and is just hovering now! The other piece seems to be making it's way to Greysones/Kilcoole/Newtownmountkennedy...

certainly a rise in activity out at sea now. Wonder what MT's thoughts are on this....looks like we could get a dusting but those winds are, well, non existent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

A light shower has just stalled over my head for the last half hour. Nice light snow, moderate at times. Nice dusting. (dalkey)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 banSHE

ya it seems to be a thing that SO many schools are going to close. I suppose you cant really expect the bus drivers to travel.......:(

certainly a rise in activity out at sea now. Wonder what MT's thoughts are on this....looks like we could get a dusting but those winds are, well, non existent?

It's eerily calm. I'm close to Wicklow Head and there really isn't a breath of wind outside - which is unusual this close to the sea. Have a view all the way up the Wicklow coast to Bray and out to sea - nothing stirring visually as yet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

Snowing here in Carrickmines, only very lightly tho! Might add to the cm we got last night lol

Guys these temps are just unreal. I have added Sligo to my destop weather gadget list as I hear the NW is due some serious temps. its minus 15 in sligo now. i also have a place in Sweden (middle Sweden) that I visit and it is -6 there. this is just incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭cdev

Yep - the radar and satellite look somewhat promising <<clutches straws desperately>>. I may increase my lamppost watching/raintoday checking frequency tonight :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Very light snow here now. -2.1c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭compsys

Very light snow/graupel in Rathfarnham for the past 20 mins or so. Nothing too exciting but a pleasant surprise nonetheless. Roads and cars have gotten a very light dusting again so everything is all pretty and white once more. Just goes to show that you can never underestimate what might blow in off the Irish sea!

Although I'm certainly no weather expert I really feel that the best chance the East, and Dublin in particular, will have for snow will always be streamers/showers coming in off the Irish sea. Any snow from deep developed lows or troughs are just too rare and unpredictable in my opinion to bring the region snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Snowing in Bray last 30 min or so - very light. Now proper snow - proper flakes - footprints all filled in again

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

is the wind going back to east again later on.

as if it does bye bye showers for us

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dero123

No snow here in Athy, but temp is reading minus 6.5

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

patneve2 wrote: »
    snowing lightly in dalkey for about 30 minutes now. Slight dusting, very slow moving shower.

bit heavier now

Mad this..... we are in Firhouse right at the foot of the Dublin mountains and not a snowflake has emerged/grown/developed/travelled/hitchhiked or even crawled this way all day......

Temp here is -3.7 NO SORRY GONE UP TO -2.5

Mental temp is a bit lower!!! :)

lucy2010 wrote: »
    Snowing in Bray last 30 min or so - very light. Now proper snow - proper flakes - footprints all filled in again

Great! :D - been tracking that for ages on the radar - glad to hear it's materialised - now - hopefully it works its way down the road a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭meemeep

sleety snow in sandyford - bring it on:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 banSHE

Minus 8 just outside Ballinasloe. does anyone know if snow is forecast for the West 2nite?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Mad this..... we are in Firhouse right at the foot of the Dublin mountains and not a snowflake has emerged/grown/developed/travelled/hitchhiked or even crawled this way all day......

Temp here is -3.7 NO SORRY GONE UP TO -2.5

Mental temp is a bit lower!!! :)

My folks live in Firhouse and I saw some pics of the massive snowfall ye got at the beginning of December, so no sympathy here :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement