Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Look like the convection in the irish sea is the result of a convergence zone:
    140096.png

Either way there certainly not streamers which people keep suggesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

channaigh wrote: »
    if i don't get any snow with that i'll go insane wait again now till tuesday

First one would definately be dodgy for you, fairly dodgy for me too. 2nd one gives a better chance for both of us :D GFS is only rolling out at the moment, and its a bit far away but thursday evening is looking reasonable for us as well.

EDIT: Thursday night looks good on the latest run for east. Not that its reliable at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

Tuesday is what Gerry said. ;)

tuesday wednesday just send me the bloody stuff. why do i have a feeling this will just not happen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Been snowing away quite heavily here for a good while here now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

hon79 wrote: »
    Not a sniff in Greystones and quite a clear sky!

It's been snowing very lightly for about thirty minutes in Blaklion. Barely noticeable, can only see it when I nip out the back for a smoke. It's moving in the right direction though. Let's hope the snow from Bray makes it over the head !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    140096.png

What does that mean ? Bray harbour is sucking it all in by the looks & bringing it right up the road to me - actually 2 hours now its going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

lucy2010 wrote: »
    Serious blob now on Raintoday that appears to be coming into Bray Harbour....... its only adding to last nights - nothing like last week but would cause a nice bit of disruption in the school rush since WCC admitted they have no grit - lovely !

It has been heading steadily south for hours and now just seems to have stopped - pity - Greystones/Kilcoole and below could miss out unless it gets its arse in gear again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

?????????????????????????/
    the blue & green is amount of percipation as with the colour code under map,the white lines means snow (i think)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,600 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Trotter wrote: »
    How would Waterford City be effected?

Show's plenty of snow for Waterford on Tuesday evening/night.
    Problem is these charts have constantly showed these events for Waterford without any happening last 4/5 days.
    Tonights low just slipping under us AGAIN is forecast to give another lash to southern England tomorrow.

prectypeuktopo.png

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

140096.png

Beasterly, sorry for my igonorance, what exactly does it mean and is there any snow in it.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭carlmwan

?????????????????????????/

basically its saying there will be precipitation for the south/south east on wednesday and same for the east on thursday

What does that mean ? Bray harbour is sucking it all in by the looks & bringing it right up the road to me - actually 2 hours now its going

It means the precipitation is forming as winds from the north and south are converging off the coast of dublin and causing the precipitation ( albeit weak) which is only having an effect on a small area.

It has been heading steadily south for hours and now just seems to have stopped - pity - Greystones/Kilcoole and below could miss out unless it gets its arse in gear again.

well i bought for ireland at the threat of snomageddon so all are welcome to my little snow house under the snow blob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

I continue to think that coasts generally do better when winds are slack. if the wind is too strong at the coast, showers just tend to blow over and re-organize once they pass the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Been watching this thread all day. Don't people read the previous say 100 posts and realize that very very few places will see snow tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Beasterly, sorry for my igonorance, what exactly does it mean and is there any snow in it.

Thanks

It means that convection(showers) is taking place along a line of converging winds. Yea snow is as possible as in any shower activity. It just means its localised to the convergence zone and wont go on for hours and hours.

It means the precipitation is forming as winds from the north and south are converging off the coast of dublin and causing the precipitation ( albeit weak) which is only having an effect on a small area.

& Does it just hover there or when the north & south winds collide do they push westwards or what happens - Very interesting as its right over us

irish1967 wrote: »
    Been watching this thread all day. Don't people read the previous say 100 posts and realize that very very few places will see snow tonight.

Unfortunately no, but hey, it adds a bit of life to the place on what would otherwise be a very boring night here! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

It means that convection(showers) is taking place along a line of converging winds. Yea snow is as possible as in any shower activity. It just means its localised to the convergence zone and wont go on for hours and hours.

You are absolutely right. The convergence zone will be hanging around near it's current posistion most of the night. A little further North shortly. This could be very good for Dublin. Some nice echos just off the bay area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

irish1967 wrote: »
    I think people have been reading this thread for a few days, and realise that anything can happen at any time. Models are a bit off, as it seems, and as I've read more than once that the worst snow happens when you least expect it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

Unfortunately no, but hey, it adds a bit of life to the place on what would otherwise be a very boring night here! :)

looking ar raintoday looks like there might be a shower over kilkenny no??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

And to add to that, the convergence zone is just out off the coast at the moment. A few more miles to the west and dublin would be getting a plastering. Fairly typical lately. Snow shield on full power :)

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Starting to snow lightly on the foothills of Dublin mountains, with extremely dark clouds moving across a very clear sky, clouds coming from Sea direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

looks like it's merging into one big blob and moving slowly west!

darkman2 wrote: »
    You are absolutely right. The convergence zone will be hanging around near it's current posistion most of the night. A little further North shortly. This could be very good for Dublin. Some nice echos just off the bay area.

So DM spell it out for me - Am I under the snow blob for a while more now ? Poor significant other - hes finally in the sea to arrive back to more bleedin snow ha ha :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

I have been tempted a few times to answer them all in my expert opinion..

hee hee.. :D

but that would only be stirring the pot and I'd be thrown out..

Is Oakpark Carlow weather station live for readings anywhere?
    If anyone knows?

Tullow currently -6.4

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

Snowing quite heavily here now...wasnt expecting that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

foxinsox wrote: »
    I have been tempted a few times to answer them all in my expert opinion..

hee hee.. :D

but that would only be stirring the pot and I'd be thrown out..

Is Oakpark Carlow weather station live for readings anywhere?
    If anyone knows?

Tullow currently -6.4

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp
    http://www.irelandsweather.com/

hourly reports though, not really "live"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

I hope all this cold weather goes away for ever & likewise the snow it really irritates me,I enjoy Rain & Wind & like getting very wet & get the flu etc...

(this is reverse psychology,Really I love snow but lets pretend we hate it,which we do ;))

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

So DM spell it out for me - Am I under the snow blob for a while more now ? Poor significant other - hes finally in the sea to arrive back to more bleedin snow ha ha :D

You may do well out of this;) Better then my area which is on the edge of the action....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement