Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

some good old proper snow from 1982 :)
    not my pics by the way...

snow82.jpg?w=650&h=461

2184998480_081d23de00_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭_whiskers

foxinsox wrote: »
    some good old proper snow from 1982 :)
    not my pics by the way...

snow82.jpg?w=650&h=461

Wow! Ugh wish was a kid in the 80s :(

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭millymoo

Wow...I wasnt even born...gonna google them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mumo3

I was there in the foothills of Tallaght for that one and it was AWESOME!!!! Don't remember the dance moves all the village folk used, all I remember is waking up to mountains of snow and having the best fun of my life :D We went into the back garden (stamp size) and got lost for hours, I may have even gone snow blind.

that was proper recession snow when we had nothing.. when we paryed for snow and no electricty.. oh they were the days when kids spent there days thinking of new ways to mame or kill themselfs ie climbing the highest trees and jumping over ditches on our bmx

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Captain Pillowcase

that was proper recession snow when we had nothing.. when we paryed for snow and no electricty.. oh they were the days when kids spent there days thinking of new ways to mame or kill themselfs ie climbing the highest trees and jumping over ditches on our bmx[/QUOTE]

Ah yes they were tough days, few sweeties!! and no Percy Pigs :eek: but we did think long and hard about jumping from the upstairs window into the snow, ye know, just to see would we fall through slowly!!!! Such fun and we didn't care about the fact we had 3rd degree snow burn on every bit of exposed skin :D

• Advertisement

mumo3 wrote: »
    that was proper recession snow when we had nothing.. when we paryed for snow and no electricty.. oh they were the days when kids spent there days thinking of new ways to mame or kill themselfs ie climbing the highest trees and jumping over ditches on our bmx

and spending hours trying to decide what would be better to maim yourself with..

* biscuit tin lid

* plastic coal bag

* serving tray

* bonnet of car

posh kids had toboggans or skis :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

millymoo wrote: »
    Wow...I wasnt even born...gonna google them

I was alive then just about, but can't remember much, just one little 5 second clip in my brain.

youtube remembers it though ...

or seeing who could make it onto the stream that had frozen without falling through, going down the hill on your bike that had no brakes (it was the recession and we was poor!!! brakes were for non tallaght folk!:D)
    *sigh* if only we had that tomorrow or even the day after.....

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

Thats some blob thats building over the Isle Of Mane...wonder if it will head inland at some stage

and spending hours trying to decide what would be better to maim yourself with..

* biscuit tin lid

* plastic coal bag

* serving tray

* bonnet of car

posh kids had toboggans or skis :p

coal bag was a winner even tho it never stayed under you still at the top of the hill when you were at the bottom.. they were the days when you could only get curly wurlys in your selection box yum curly wurlys:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

You youngins with your BMX's. Grifters were for real dare devils. They weighed a tonne. You really took your life in your hands jumping a ditch on them boyo's.

I was 8 in '82 living in Firhouse. 2 or 3ft of level snow and drifts over the top of our back garden wall which was about 8ft tall. Level snow up to the windscreens of cars. You only knew a car was there by the mound of snow indicating the top half of the car.front garden walls shorter than close to 3ft disappeared under the snow so no boundary visible from your front window to the front window of the house across the street, level virtually all the way. Wrecking your shin or toes walking into a buried ESB/Telecoms kerb junction box, Fire Hydrant marker.

Basically the kind of snow seen in those recent London Ontario Snowmageddon vids on Youtube.

who the hell had a video camera in 1982 or is that from the news?

rich posh people :)

a friend of mine had a VCR... millions of us packed into her house to watch a video... we had to drive ten miles to rent one though :rolleyes:

Jaysus I'm getting on..

CARLOW temp -6.4c

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Wrecking your shin or toes walking into a buried ESB/Telecoms kerb junction box

Gosh. Only posh places had underground wires in 1982 and sure nobody had phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

What is going on with the shower heading for dublin , looks like it's losing intensity ..

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

rich posh people :)

a friend of mine had a VCR... millions of us packed into her house to watch a video... we had to drive ten miles to rent one though :rolleyes:

Jaysus I'm getting on..

CARLOW temp -6.4c

And you had to choose between vhs or beatamax:P

latest bbc forecast is a downgrade for the monday night/tuesday frontal snow in the south east and East.
    It doesn't reach wexford or waterford or cork at all never mind anywhere else.

Lads, thanks for the trip down memory lane! Here's hoping that we all wake up to a winter whiteout wonderland in the next few days. i don't care that i still have to get to work in it, I just really really want snow!!! (as so 99.99% of us on here!):D

Nighty nite *dreams of 6ft snow drifts and jumping from upstairs windows*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

It's not from the news, it was taken on one those old reel to reel video cameras, the details are in a thread I can;t find at the moment.. There's a few threads about snowfalls of yore here if you search for them.

here's one about 1963 that was started in 2005 :)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054850822&page=2

Lads, thanks for the trip down memory lane! Here's hoping that we all wake up to a winter whiteout wonderland in the next few days. i don't care that i still have to get to work in it, I just really really want snow!!! (as so 99.99% of us on here!):D

Nighty nite *dreams of 6ft snow drifts and jumping from upstairs windows*

think happy thoughts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭oterra

Calibos wrote: »
    You youngins with your BMX's. Grifters were for real dare devils. They weighed a tonne. You really took your life in your hands jumping a ditch on them boyo's.

I was 8 in '82 living in Firhouse. 2 or 3ft of level snow and drifts over the top of our back garden wall which was about 8ft tall. Level snow up to the windscreens of cars. You only knew a car was there by the mound of snow indicating the top half of the car.front garden walls shorter than close to 3ft disappeared under the snow so no boundary visible from your front window to the front window of the house across the street, level virtually all the way. Wrecking your shin or toes walking into a buried ESB/Telecoms kerb junction box, Fire Hydrant marker.

Basically the kind of snow seen in those recent London Ontario Snowmageddon vids on Youtube.
    It would be great to get a weather forecast prior to the event in 82. I was only 12 and ss far as I can remember they forecasted the possibility of snow on the east coast. Wonder are the charts hidden away somewhere in the archives???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

as everyone seems to be talking about 1982 I decided to ask my dad what he remembered about it, his reply was that although 1982 was bad here in the SE, 1987 was worse, with regard to snow. So I googled, and funnily enough one of the first things I came across was this post to boards in 2007, only a few years ago, it's very telling, with regard to the upgrade/downgrade experience we've been having

Despite being only 5-years-old at the time, I remember "The Big Snow of 1987" extremely vividly. In fact, it probably stands out as my very favourite childhood memory.

Late on the Saturday night (well, probably around 10 or 11pm - which is exceptionally late when you're only five), my parents excitedly woke me up to tell me that it was snowing outside. It was only light, but they told me that the place would be white in the morning.

You can imagine my disappointment when I woke up on the Sunday morning to find not one bit of snow on the ground (it's a feeling which I still experience to this day, as a result of reading the occasional ever-so-slightly optimistic forecast on this forum...). "Don't worry," my parents told me. "There's definitely snow forecast." Then, to add to my excitement, it started lashing hail on the way home from mass (ah, mass... like snow, another distant memory). Alas, It soon stopped, and apart from a couple of stray flakes in the afternoon, that was it for Sunday...

On the Monday morning, my mother woke me for school and told me to look out the window. The snow had finally arrived. It was like nothing I'd ever seen before or since. There were around two or three inches of snow lying on the ground, amid blizzard conditions. Visability was so bad that I couldn't see beyond the top of the garden. I remember standing in the kitchen with my mother, beside the Superser heater, looking out the back window, both in complete amazement. It snowed for what seemed like hours, and then it was sunny on the Tuesday, but far too cold to for a thaw. And then on either the Wednesday or Thursday, just when I thought it was all coming to an end, we had another huge blizzard.

All in all, it was an incredible, exciting week. At one point, the snow had drifted so high that the 4ft wall at the front of my garden was completely covered. My neighbour's rusty Datsun was stuck at the top of the road for three days. Even a council gritting truck managed to get stranded. My school was closed for over a week. There were threats of power-cuts, bread shortages, milk shortages, burst pipes. Not being fortunate enough to remember 1982, January 1987 was the starting point of my love-affair with snow. I haven't lost hope that some day, we might see a repeat of that kind of event.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

latest bbc forecast is a downgrade for the monday night/tuesday frontal snow in the south east and East.
    It doesn't reach wexford or waterford or cork at all never mind anywhere else.

Latest NAE is'nt which are the latest BBC charts effectively.

10122106_1918.gif

10122112_1918.gif

Not looking good here in clondalkin... my cats asleep on the bonnet on my car usually he'd be scratching on the door or window :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Jees looked at the raintoday site and the charts above! there so different!

Rain today has a band of clouds floating around the south and got all excited!

And those charts above were a blow to the heart!

darkman2 wrote: »
    Latest NAE is'nt which are the latest BBC charts effectively.
    Can you explain then why in their latest forecast they have no precip over Ireland for that period now?It was in the earlier forecasts.Why would they tweak the Ireland precip out of the graphics?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Can you explain then why in their latest forecast they have no precip over Ireland for that period now?It was in the earlier forecasts.Why would they tweak the Ireland precip out of the graphics?

12z NAE data? 18z is out now. Im 98% certain the bbc maps are NAE charts.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭SnowY32

bbc british broadcasting say no more ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

All this 82 talk . . . monty python, 4 yorkshire men anyone? We didn't even have a house. . . :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Wibbles19

All very quiet here in D5, -2 with very little wind and what there is seems to be from the SW

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement