Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Unfortunately, although the 850 hPa winds are easterly, the 700 hPa winds are westerly and so the snowers* are being blown off land. The satellite shows prevailing westerly winds in the upper atmosphere over most of Ireland.

Edit: * freudian slip, should be showers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

This is a lucky dip by the looks of it, one site's predicting, another isn't, sooo disappointing really, looking forward all weekend and nothing worth talking about. Good night all and I hope ye get loads of snow wherever ye are. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

Right this is getting ridiculous now - I have already seen more snow than I can remember here, but now it really is getting silly. Graupel started falling about 6pm - it got heavy around 9pm, turned to snow at 10pm and hasn't stopped snowing since - an extra 3 inches now on top of the existing snowcover. I never thought I would ever see anything like this in Bangor. Crazy, crazy stuff here right now :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

darkman2 wrote: »
    Latest NAE is'nt which are the latest BBC charts effectively.

10122106_1918.gif

10122112_1918.gif

Probably wont happen but will hold out a little hope it will.

10122118_1918.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

snowjon wrote: »
    Right this is getting ridiculous now - I have already seen more snow than I can remember here, but now it really is getting silly. Graupel started falling about 6pm - it got heavy around 9pm, turned to snow at 10pm and hasn't stopped snowing since - an extra 3 inches now on top of the existing snowcover. I never thought I would ever see anything like this in Bangor. Crazy, crazy stuff here right now :eek:

Sounds awesome!

Enjoy and stay safe! Once you hit one of those slow moving streamers it can be epic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I had a tiny version of what Bangor had today and even I saw over an inch from it, and it looked pathetic on radar. Blizzard conditions for a brief period.

In other developments, Castlederg in Co. Tyrone reached nearly -18 celsius at only 11pm! This is sensational and I'd recommend tracking this if you plan to stay up late.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ni/castlederg_latest_weather.html

Edit: that stuff over Bangor and the gold coast in NI really looks like it's there to stay for much of the night. I'd expect a foot of snow from it in total if it holds until dawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

snowjon wrote: »

Great stuff snowjon! What's the total snow depth like now?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

still looking at rain today , there was a slight break in the mass around 11.30 , but it has growin again since.. its still swinging slightly twards the south coast , id say there is a small posibility that somewhere on the south coast might see a shower or 2 in the next few hours...
    thats if it doesnt break up:o

oh if only that mass headin for south east england came our way it would be epic......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Hopefully Niall but last nights one just disappeared

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Edit: that stuff over Bangor and the gold coast in NI really looks like it's there to stay for much of the night. I'd expect a foot of snow from it in total if it holds until dawn.

So how long will it take to drive "6 miles from Bangor to Donaghadee"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Getting towards -18 in Castlederg, is that getting towards a record now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Change of direction on the blob just off Dingle, hopefully it will make landfall in next 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

trogdor wrote: »
    Great stuff snowjon! What's the total snow depth like now?

The total depth is 6 inches but overall, without melting and compaction I would say we have seen at least 9 inches so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Global warming me arse. My arse is frozen!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭millymoo

-7.7 here but no bleedin sneachta. Boo.

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Global warming me arse. My arse is frozen!:eek:

Welcome to the new "little ice age" http://www.landscheidt.info/?q=node/189

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭_whiskers

-4 here and nothing ;( really want some to fall heavily so I'm off until Christmas! :D would be a lovely way to start the holidays! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

oi, where's the snow??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭googsy

Think I'm gonna get myself some cans, sit back and watch The Day After Tomorrow... again :D

Graupel would do at this stage... it's doing nothing at the moment in this part of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    oi, where's the snow??

Good question:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

dave1982 wrote: »
    Good question:(

although tonight i dont mind due to the fact have to go to the hospital tomorrow morning at 8. so it's ok for tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

it is now -17.7 in Castlederg:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

fizzycyst wrote: »
    it is now -17.7 in Castlederg:eek:

avalanching asteroids batman:D:) , that could break records tonight :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

It already has..

Coldest temp ever recorded in Northern Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Bogsnorkler

So who else is stuck in England because of this? Well ****ing worried about getting home at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Harps wrote: »
    It already has..

Coldest temp ever recorded in Northern Ireland

Still only -12.9 in Killygordon. BBQ weather.

Meh.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

K-9 wrote: »
    Still only -12.9 in Killygordon. BBQ weather.

Meh.

It must have clouded over again, was down to -14.7C a few hours ago so doesnt look like any record tonight, shame

Annoyingly that band of snow has just missed the town, I could see the orange glowing cloud in the distance but much like the the past two days everything's just missed us

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

foxinsox wrote: »
    and spending hours trying to decide what would be better to maim yourself with..

* biscuit tin lid

* plastic coal bag

* serving tray

* bonnet of car

posh kids had toboggans or skis :p

We had self built sleighs. We used them on a brae that the Killybegs fish lorries went across at the bottom! Jaysus, wouldn't let my son near a sleigh like that now!

Still, we've the X Factor to keep them amused.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭thenutflush

Is anybody else just willing the temperature in Castlederg to reach -19?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement