Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

And the amazing thing is, very few had heating oil or gas or creature comforts like that.

-19 in Sligo in 1979 and no oil or gas! :eek:

We really do have it soft!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

amacachi wrote: »
    Getting towards -18 in Castlederg, is that getting towards a record now?

Global warming set in, -14.7 now:

Castlederg latest weather - Met Office

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭thenutflush

K-9 wrote: »
    Global warming set in, -14.7 now:

Castlederg latest weather - Met Office

:mad:

NOT COLD ENOUGH!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 snowww

It's only like -6 here in athy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Just about to go to sleep & heard something outside, looked out & its graupeling/snowing in D4 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

dacogawa wrote: »
    Just about to go to sleep & heard something outside, looked out & its graupeling/snowing in D4 :)

I was just about to post the following "is it just me or is there a serious Irish Sea Streamer winding up that has Dublins name on it going on the 02.00 radar:eek::confused:"

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

-12 here in ballinasloe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I was just about to post the following "is it just me or is there a serious Irish Sea Streamer winding up that has Dublins name on it going on the 02.00 radar:eek::confused:"
    is it not going the wrong direction?

delw wrote: »
    is it not going the wrong direction?

Check out the 0215 - it appears to be drifting slowly towards South Dublin/North Wicklow:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

It the same little "convergance zone" that's been just off the coast of dublin for hours now, dumping loads of snow into the Irish Sea. I'm gonna start summoning it westwards now, I've had enough of it's teasing ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Snowing away lightly here

Rougies wrote: »
    It the same little "convergance zone" that's been just off the coast of dublin for hours now, dumping loads of snow into the Irish Sea. I'm gonna start summoning it westwards now, I've had enough of it's teasing ways.

I know but it appears to be alot more threatning in the last 30 minutes or so as the stuff over IOM sinks SW towards the Dublin Coast:)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭_whiskers

Check out the 0215 - it appears to be drifting slowly towards South Dublin/North Wicklow:)
    So nothing for Dublin north central? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Quiet you

Some very fine powdery snow in D.16 now. Light but its been coming down for ten minutes or so.

I know but it appears to be alot more threatning in the last 30 minutes or so as the stuff over IOM sinks SW towards the Dublin Coast:)

It's definitely picking up intensity in last while, but still seems to be stalled out there on the Irish Sea. Next couple of radar images are crucial.

_whiskers wrote: »
    So nothing for Dublin north central? :(

Actually its looking better for you guys on the 0230 frame - What kind of wind you got??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Still no snow here, its teasing me hust hanging off the coast all night:mad:

Quiet you wrote: »
    Some very fine powdery snow in D.16 now. Light but its been coming down for ten minutes or so.

Nothing in my part of D.16, nice moon though!

Nothing in my part of D.16, nice moon though!

Where are you? I'm just off the Grange Road and its coming down. Nothing like two weeks ago but its been steady for maybe fifteen minutes now.
    It's weird powdery stuff though. You can still clearly see foot prints in the grass.

no doubt its picking up in intensity but IMO its moving AWAY from the coast,the next radar runs will tell more but i think its almost as if the coast is building it up as it moves away,we need easterlies to bring it back

edit:wind at dub airport NW

• Advertisement

I would say that there is an increasing chance of all this stuff lying just off the Dublin coast getting shoved inland given that Easterly winds are expected to pick up in the next few hours:)

Quiet you wrote: »
    Where are you? I'm just off the Grange Road and its coming down. Nothing like two weeks ago but its been steady for maybe fifteen minutes now.
    It's weird powdery stuff though. You can still clearly see foot prints in the grass.

Knocklyon, about 2 or 3 miles west of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭JayzuzHowiye

-4 in clondalkin right now. brrr

I would say that there is an increasing chance of all this stuff lying just off the Dublin coast getting shoved inland given that Easterly winds are expected to pick up in the next few hours:)
    hope your right Birdnuts coz thats some beefing up in the irish sea;)

Actually its looking better for you guys on the 0230 frame - What kind of wind you got??

Haven't a breeze ;) in bed nice and warm so don't want to check :o:p really hope we get lashings of it! Love having snowball fights!

Knocklyon, about 2 or 3 miles west of you.

If it's any consolation I was just out in it and it's barely noticable. You can see it clearly in the light from the street lamps but it doesn't seem to be covering much. Just a fine powder covering the cars windscreen.

What are the chances of an easterly?

I'm an optimist, but don't see where you're getting that from? I hope the 18z GFS is wrong but it shows that convergance zone getting pushed south in the next few hours, still out on the Irish Sea.

Latest sat images are pure misery :(
    http://www.sat24.com/gb

_whiskers wrote: »
    Haven't a breeze ;) in bed nice and warm so don't want to check :o:p really hope we get lashings of it! Love having snowball fights!
    hi whiskers,i was born&reared in marino,love the place,will be down there for crimbo so hoping for white crimbo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Moderate snowfall in Dalkey, nice fluffy flakes. Preceded by hail and graupel. Yet another top-up:)

• Advertisement

delw wrote: »
    hi whiskers,i was born&reared in marino,love the place,will be down there for crimbo so hoping for white crimbo

:) lovely, think we all are just great to see everyone happy when there is snow about! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement