Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Rougies wrote: »
    I'm an optimist, but don't see where you're getting that from? I hope the 18z GFS is wrong but it shows that convergance zone getting pushed south in the next few hours, still out on the Irish Sea.

Latest sat images are pure misery :(
    http://www.sat24.com/gb

Yeah its strugglin a bit in the last 2 frames - I'm still hoping the easterlies ahead of the front over Cornwall kick in ASAP, it would be terrible to waste all that potential:(

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Yeah its strugglin a bit in the last 2 frames - I'm still hoping the easterlies ahead of the front over Cornwall kick in ASAP, it would be terrible to waste all that potential:(

Haven't a notion whats going on but I think we want that blob to the right Dublin to come in? Has it gotten bigger by the way seems to have taking some of the Norths blob! Anyway as you can see I know nothing but looking at raintoday I think it will I dunno why but I think its coming, gathering intensity and ready to strike just waiting for a big gust of wind and boom then hang around over the east like it hung around the Irish sea for hours and hours of snow. Ucd will cancel my exam tomorrow and all will be well ;)

Prob not tho I'm gone crazy from cramming and I have come to the sudden realisation that if that blob doesn't come in I am screwed and I'm clinging to every bit of hope left.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

The blobs going away isn't it? :(

Haven't a notion whats going on but I think we want that blob to the right Dublin to come in? Has it gotten bigger by the way seems to have taking some of the Norths blob! Anyway as you can see I know nothing but looking at raintoday I think it will I dunno why but I think its coming, gathering intensity and ready to strike just waiting for a big gust of wind and boom then hang around over the east like it hung around the Irish sea for hours and hours of snow. Ucd will cancel my exam tomorrow and all will be well ;)

Prob not tho I'm gone crazy from cramming and I have come to the sudden realisation that if that blob doesn't come in I am screwed and I'm clinging to every bit of hope left.

I know how you feel when it comes to Exams etc.:( - glad I've left that sh%% far far behind;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 opticalens

Hey first post, have been lurking a while really, from last years bad weather when I read all about graces7 in the wilds of donegal (they've moved now I think) to owenc and his 14? yr old comments and I sat up to read villain record the -17c in carlow.Roads are really bad in north louth and on the way into Dundalk they are lethal, especially around the town itself.I don't think any grit was deployed at all...ok maybe the M1, that's it though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Hey folks, any signs of an improvement for the south west.
    And by improvement I mean for snow conditions.

I wonder is that stuff in the irish sea going to sit there for the next 12 hrs or so and torture snow fans in the capital all day:confused:;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    Hey folks, any signs of an improvement for the south west.
    And by improvement I mean for snow conditions.

No, there just dying away off the coast as usual:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Jeez its quiet in here tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭bassy

very quiet,i think most are on a snow cold turkey before xmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I wonder is that stuff in the irish sea going to sit there for the next 12 hrs or so and torture snow fans in the capital all day:confused:;)

its just sat there spinning around and around.

anyone one got a boat.

lets go snow chasing:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

-15 according to NRA weather station in Sligo.

Met eireann were a bit out with their lows of -2 to -10 forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

Wow! we got another 4.5 inches last night bringing the level depth of snow here to 8 inches now - just amazing :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Morning folks ! Brrrrrrrrrrrrr. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Morning all. Any snow last night? Cork City doesnt seem to have gotten any.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

No snow here in West Dublin last night apart from a dusting the night before. I cannot believe how inaccuarte Mat Eiereann are forceasting snow for the East, South East, South West over the past few days when in reality very little fell. When Dublin and the East coast was blasted for over two weeks at ten end of November they had way underestimated that snowfall as well. Last night they talked about heavy snow showers in the East and now nothing...they really are amateur:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

-8 in Castleknock.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭millymoo

-10.6 here

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Evelyn just on the radio forecasting temps up to 9 or 10c on St Stephens Day............noooooooo! :o

-5.5c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

She originally said that would be the temps for Xmas eve. At the moment I'm sticking to what m. T. Says but I am also practicing the look out the window and see what the weather is like cause it is more accurate then the met.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Dark clouds just off north Dublin coast. Snow for east coast perhaps?

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Evelyn just on the radio forecasting temps up to 9 or 10c on St Stephens Day............noooooooo! :o

-5.5c atm.
    Hmmmm - thats rather bullish given the uncertainty surrounding events this week alone and the performance of the models recently, lets wait and see;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    No snow here in West Dublin last night apart from a dusting the night before. I cannot believe how inaccuarte Mat Eiereann are forceasting snow for the East, South East, South West over the past few days when in reality very little fell. When Dublin and the East coast was blasted for over two weeks at ten end of November they had way underestimated that snowfall as well. Last night they talked about heavy snow showers in the East and now nothing...they really are amateur:D:D:D

Well with a comment like that it is obvious that it is yourself that is the amateur because no one who knows anything about weather, would make a comment like that about ME.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Christ, the bitching that goes on in this forum is astonishing.

Anyway, its -13 here in Leitrim at the moment, the icicles hanging off the roof and van are impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭illumin

Yeah i seen that big angry looking cloud on my way into work. Im sure i seen a flash of lightning from it as well. If it comes ashore i hope were in for a big snowfall :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

well the lads who got their bet on got paid out on the first day which is nice! Cannot believe i wasn't on but when you have no money, you have no money:D:D

Currently -8c in Dublin Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Fnutkrumpler

I was thinking the same thing. It looks like that precipitation in the irish sea might finally come inland, but I'm not getting my hopes up. It's looked that way a couple of times now, and every time it's done a 180.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

illumin wrote: »
    Yeah i seen that big angry looking cloud on my way into work. Im sure i seen a flash of lightning from it as well. If it comes ashore i hope were in for a big snowfall :)
    You were right.

The airport reported THUNDER in its 0800 report

Also winds are now NE in the Irish sea, i would anticipate some showers to hit the coast by 10am.;)

Dublin AP reporting Thunder @0800 - Do I smell a thunder snow event??:eek::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

You were right.

The airport reported THUNDER in its 0800 report

Also winds are now NE in the Irish sea, i would anticipate some showers to hit the coast by 10am.;)

That's good to hear :D I was wondering what the activity out there was going to do , seems to have been going round in circles for awhile !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement