Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Just a brief note on the return of the mild weather.

I remain skeptical, most models now support the idea, however it all hinges on the ramping up of a shortwave south of Iceland at 72 hours and as we have seen of late, the models find it very difficult to model these features.

One thing i definately believe, the breakdown will not be as simple as ECM suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

what was the pp bet?

what was the pp bet?

Temperature to go below -6 at Dublin Airport this week, was 5/1 at one stage, chopped into 3/1 then 11/8 then taken down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭thomasj

what was the pp bet?

What would be the minimum temperature at Dublin airport in the week of the 27th ?

Below -6 was offering odds of 5/1

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

It's a bit nippy out there , -7 in dublin 5 :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Caoimhín wrote: »
    Christ, the bitching that goes on in this forum is astonishing.

In fairness now (and I'm not bitching here) but defending the local (excellent) weather service from unwarranted attacks on a weather forum, would seem to me to be quite rational and the most logical place to see such comments.
    Every single met service, meteorologist and climatologist has stated the uncertainty regarding the conditions over the past few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Just a brief note on the return of the mild weather.

I remain skeptical, most models now support the idea, however it all hinges on the ramping up of a shortwave south of Iceland at 72 hours and as we have seen of late, the models find it very difficult to model these features.

One thing i definately believe, the breakdown will not be as simple as ECM suggest.

Its been a mild outlier in recent runs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Cork experienced a thaw yesterday and froze later last night.

A nice flurry of snow was experienced in the Fota/Cobh area and I had a lovely drive yesterday morning, driving from Cork to Fota the snow fell as sleet and thickened to fresh snow and stayed on the ground.

I went to Carrigtowhill and turned around and the snow had already gone ~ must be the salt gritting anyway I found a disused road and had some fun.

-2.7°C rising: Hum 1000.1 rocketing up ↑ :Wind mild SW: Lowest temp -2.8°C@1:37am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

well the lads who got their bet on got paid out on the first day which is nice! Cannot believe i wasn't on but when you have no money, you have no money:D:D

Currently -8c in Dublin Airport.

No sign of the money in my account yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Is it just me or are those showers moving in towards Dublin ?

• Advertisement

homolumo wrote: »
    No sign of the money in my account yet!

I'd say it may be a market to give them a call to remind them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

There are more clouds in the irish sea than at any other time! Please, please, please

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Is it just me or are those showers moving in towards Dublin ?

It would appear they are very slowly.

The flow is good north of Dublin but it seems towards Dublin the flow is almost stagnant.

They hopefully should brush the coast if still intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

It would appear they are very slowly.

The flow is good north of Dublin but it seems towards Dublin the flow is almost stagnant.

They hopefully should brush the coast if still intact.

Any idea if the winds are due to pick up today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

The car reckoned it was -16.5 this morning in South Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

apologies in advance, this turned into a bit of a megapost!

MT still seems quite optimistic of some more snow, so fingers crossed although these cold mornings can be dangerous, i'm hoping that people are getting more used to them now and taking all the necessary precautions, driving safely, checking on the elderly and keeping pets in out of the cold etc. and we can just get on with it like countries who are used to this kind of weather have been doing for years.

i remember in january they were interviewing people stranded in dublin airport and there was an american family who'd been stuck there for many hours (or possibly even a couple of days) who couldn't understand what the problem was as when they left JFK airport in the US a week or two eariler there was 2 feet of snow and their flight wasn't even delayed.

i know the main problem is that we're just not equipped for weather like this given the last 10 years or so of mild winters, but january should have been a wakeup call for people (and the government) to be more prepared so hopefully we should have less and less disruption the longer this goes on.

it was grea to see the army guys in dundalk (or possibly drogheda) clearing the paths on TV and everyone giving them the thumbs up for helping out, but dublin city centre hasn't got the same treatment and neither has anywhere else that i have seen since (admittedly from the comfort of my car), so what's going on? surely someone somewhere must have the power and (more importantly) enough cop on to see that this was a good idea and the idea of the army keeping the public safe doesn't just mean shooting terrorists. if i was in the armed forces i'd be more than happy to get out on the street and show people that we were looking after them by helping to clear footpaths and getting groceries to the elderly and i imagine something like that would do a great deal for morale.

why isn't there some resource where people can sign up to help out where they can? people like myself with decent 4WD's can get out and about in even the worst weather and get aid to people in need. i'd have no problem giving up a few hours to get food and fuel to the elderly and check in on them to make sure they are okay, or run them up to medical centres where needed etc. and if i'm the only one who would do it, i'd be very surprised, not to mention woefully disappointed.

the government is wasting money on all sorts of ridiculous schemes, so why not actually put it to good use? snow ploughs for farmers, grit and snow shovels for communities to clear their own side streets, fuel & supplies for people to get to those who are stuck indoors. just a proper network of people who are willing, prepared & able to do what needs doing to keep the country moving if/when things get really bad.

i'd like to think that the one good thing to come out of the recession is that it has put an end to a lot of the selfish, greedy, capitalist "me, me, me" attitude that came hand in hand with the celtic tiger years and that now is hte time when an initiative like this can and will work and that people will go back to the time when we all looked out for each other to make sure that everyone gets through the tough times we may well have ahead.

and sure if it doesn't actually happen then maybe we'll have made a few friends anyway. it's not like the grit is going to go off. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Wsa driving in to work this morning from Castleknock where there was just a very light covering from a couple of nights ago but as I got to Portmarncok/Balgriffin direction the place was lightly covered. Approx 1 cm fell here last night I would say but did not push in to West Dublin:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

Gillie wrote: »
    The car reckoned it was -16.5 this morning in South Sligo.

Got -13 in Castlebar. Girl I worked with got -17.5 near Knock!!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jamie-b

Slightly off topic (given that this is about the weather/snow in Ireland) but can anyone make an informed guess as to the conditions in London on Wednesday? I have family flying home

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

London should be relatively snow free for the next 3-4 days (according to the UKMO) buts its changeable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭RJC09

drove from dublin to cork very late last night, and north cork has beautiful thick fluffy snow. east cork is pitiful, the dregs are melting! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

vibe666 wrote: »
    it was grea to see the army guys in dundalk (or possibly drogheda) clearing the paths on TV and everyone giving them the thumbs up for helping out, but dublin city centre hasn't got the same treatment and neither has anywhere else that i have seen since (admittedly from the comfort of my car), so what's going on?

I have seen the army in Leixlip, Ashbourne and Celbridge over the past two weeks so they are out there, I gather they are/were in the north-west in the past couple of days too.

I do agree with your point in the whole though. The most striking failure I see is that the grit/salt supplies are down to the last 10k tonnes, and they are only getting new deliveries midweek, thats incredible considering the exact same failures of the January spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

So does anyone know what the temperature was last night and where it was? Or have a link so I can check? I was keeping an eye on some of the weather stations last night but fell asleep! Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

What is crazy here is the amount of snow Dublin and THE east and south east got for over two weeks in November and early December and now almost nothing even though we have an east wind!! it just doesn't make sense..not to me anyway. It really is strange.Anyoe know the reason for this??:mad: There are clouds on the coast but they do not appear to be pushing in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Castlederg, Co. Tyrone hit -17.7c at midnight last night... I think that was it's minimum for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

according to Met Eireann on radio this morning, -15 degrees was reported in Sligo and -18 degrees was reported in parts of Tyrone.

Unbelievable stuff. I spent a couple of years living in Scandinavia some years back. This current spell in Ireland truly feels like being over there, quite amazing really. Never thought I would see the day that these temperatures would be reached on the emerald isle, not only that but over such long sustained periods of time.

On a different note, what the heck is the story with the cloud over the Irish sea, taking its time or what ?? seems to be slowly creeping over to east coast but man is it slow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

well the good news is for st stephens day the temp is forecast to be a balmy 10 degrees, always go racing on that day and looks like it will be safe from frost, hope the mild weather stays til at least jan 3rd as i'm going to the west for new years :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Was -4.5c in Dublin 20 this morning. Felt a lot colder though.

steveLFC24 wrote: »
    So does anyone know what the temperature was last night and where it was? Or have a link so I can check? I was keeping an eye on some of the weather stations last night but fell asleep! Thanks in advance :)

-8c Dublin Airport.

Castlederg broke the record, gotto -17.9 if i remember. All Ireland record still intact but Northern Ireland record broken.

Got to -8c in Dublin Airport.

Currently -7c at 9am.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Wexford1988

What are the chances of wexford getting snow if any??? New to dis so dnt understand all dese charts!!!! :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement