Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Rumble of thunder from that cell over Dublin Bay,

And a plane flew out of it straight after so probably hit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

looks like dublin going to get pounded soon

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

Yeh , was it thunder , wasn't sure ?

Yup, certainly was!

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

It's definitely moving in , nearly overhead here in dublin 5. I say nearly , could be another hour at the speed it seems to be going:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Ocean fm said possibility of some snow showers in the North West today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

beautiful blue sky... but have a great view of the streamers over the sea... getting close now! c'mon and move in already :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

If I end up in a gap here again in precipitation I will...............do nothing, but I won't be happy. Looks interesting for Dublin.

It's definitely moving in , nearly overhead here in dublin 5. I say nearly , could be another hour at the speed it seems to be going:eek:

The bit over the bay will probably hit Dun Laoghaire, i am looking at the batch further north for me!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Looks like Howth is the first place to get it in Dublin at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Dyflin wrote: »

Yup here she comes:
    http://www.dlharbour.ie/webcam/dlh1.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

Loads of convection in the irish sea

watch the loop here http://www.sat24.com/gb

image.ashx?country=gb&type=slide&time=&index=1&sat=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Dyflin wrote: »

been snowing in dalkey for half an hour :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

patneve2 wrote: »
    been snowing in dalkey for half an hour :D

Must be the altitude, not a flake in Dun Laoghaire :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,493 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Mark this down -- full moon tonight will be setting in eclipse for anyone in Ireland with clear skies and a good view off to your northwest. The Moon enters the eclipse after 0700h and the full phase is reached at 0813 GMT. I'm thinking at your latitude and being so far west in the time zone, it's probably just getting light about then, plus the Moon would obviously be setting at sunrise. I don't have the exact details handy for your viewing parameters there. Over here, we would see it high in the midnight sky but I don't think I'll be able to see it due to extensive cloud and a rain-sleet-snow set-up. Oh well.

Might be worth a thread but I'm packing it in and don't have the right details to start a thread.

6z GFS keeps shortwave south of Iceland around 72hrs and thus has breakdown slowly arriving on Christmas with heavy rain arriving Stephens Day.

So it has just 60hrs of potential snow time with hard frosts up until Christmas Eve night.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Sunny with mostly clear skies here in Firhouse - some clouds but NO snow-bearing ones......
    Temp is currently a positively balmy (in comparison to some of the other posters out there) -4.6C :)

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

snowing in Bray now apparently
    harbour web cam

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭LID

Blue skies here in Crumlin....want some snow!! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

6z GFS keeps shortwave south of Iceland around 72hrs and thus has breakdown slowly arriving on Christmas with heavy rain arriving Stephens Day.

So it has just 60hrs of potential snow time with hard frosts up until Christmas Eve night.

yeah a balmy 10 degrees forecast for stephen's day, which hopefully will mean racing in leopardstown :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

From Dublin Airport that cloud over the irish sea looks mad! I thought I heard thunder but then said it must have been a plane landing! (it's hard to tell sometimes!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

From Dublin Airport that cloud over the irish sea looks mad! I thought I heard thunder but then said it must have been a plane landing! (it's hard to tell sometimes!)

It was thunder :D your ears are working correctly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

vibe666 wrote: »
    apologies in advance, this turned into a bit of a megapost!

:)

Agree 100% with all you've said in your post.

Our elected representatives need to put it very plainly to both the NRA, local corporations and county councils that they need to take seriously the issue of road safety. One particular issue being adequate grit / salt stocks.

It wouldn't be the biggest issue in the world to purchase and distribute grit / salt bunkers so that where local corporations and county councils are unable to spread grit / salt that the local community could spread the material instead.

If each household was allowed to spread material outside their property it would hugely help with both footpaths and roads.

Recently in West Cork the county council refused to distribute or even release grit / salt to local residents / farmers for spreading locally. Madness, pure and utter madness. Really helps stamp out community spirit where people come together :rolleyes:

In some ways we have ourselves to blame as our elected representatives have not been lobbied enough to address the situation where inadequate supplies of material are not available.

Yes, most people will complain about cost but there is so much waste in the public sector (and I'm not having a dig at civil / public servants) big increases in fuel excise duty and a doubling of the carbon tax, I'm sure that the money could be sourced somehow. Buying in larger quantities should result in greater discounts too. Or maybe I'm taking too simplistic a view point?

If we don't let our elected representatives know how we feel, how can the situation be addressed? There's massive community spirit out there and in current economic times the government should be harnessing it.

<rant ends :)>

Snow glorious snow in Dun Laoghaire now :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

The bit over the bay will probably hit Dun Laoghaire, i am looking at the batch further north for me!

No way weathercheck , it's heading straight for me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Dublin 13 is about to get engulfed by it. Some amount of contrasting colours from it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

absolute WHITEOUT in Dalkey, massive flakes, incredible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭whitemocha

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/3hour.asp

this looks good for the dubs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

wicklowdub wrote: »
    snowing in Bray now apparently

Yes it is, for the last half hour

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

Snow and thunder in Sutton now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

wonder if that big blob about to hit swords will reach me in portarlington,its on the right path

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement