Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

gbee wrote: »
    That was the point, but I like yours better. :)

Either of you watch The IT Crowd :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4yffKvkt_s

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Can anyone tell me where to find M.T's last forecast? I can't find it .. thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

met eirann data is from yesterday, they will now cause a panick and nothing will happen.

How can they make a mistake like this consider ye guys have more up to date info than them?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

If the 12Z ECM dowgrades the snow potential like the 06Z GFS and NAE did with the low further south then we will see a downgrade from Met Eireann by tonight too.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Starting to snow in North Laois. Temperature dropping too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

I believe the 06z and 18z GFS are less reliable because they are fed less data than the 00 and 12z runs. So holding my fire till I see the 12z run, about 3.30pm or so and thereafter.

I agree with WC regarding Met Eireanns warning. That usually jinxes it, and I've been through many before....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

I think someone should change the heading to snow not approaching!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Rodar08 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me where to find M.T's last forecast? I can't find it .. thanks ;)

The forecast thread. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055579971&page=124

This was earlier today though.

Rodar08 wrote: »

There's a forecast thread sticked at the top of the weather forum here: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055579971

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Kind of funny seeing everyone spend hours poring over dozens of scientific data and charts and in the same thread worry about the possibility of a jinxing :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭millymoo

I'm kinda getting excited it's near Meath now! Just waiting. I suppose nothing will stick today anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

Dublin Airport gone from Temp 5.4, DP 2.4 to Temp 4.0, DP 1.0 between 12 and 1pm.

met eirann data is from yesterday, they will now cause a panick and nothing will happen.

How can they make a mistake like this consider ye guys have more up to date info than them?

Met Eireann don't use the most commonly looked at and talked about model on here, the GFS. They use ECMWF and HIRLAM models.

The main models are showing slighlty different outcomes and are changing a lot from run to run, thats why there is such a mixture of opinions.

Usually there is fairly good agreement on the models within 96 hours, but this is not the case at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Belting snow in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

If the 12Z ECM dowgrades the snow potential like the 06Z GFS and NAE did with the low further south then we will see a downgrade from Met Eireann by tonight too.

Ya think, at this stage i am thinking they're 12 hours behind the latest, there 6pm forecast certainly wont have 12z ECM data and i question if the 9pm will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

Sunny 6.8 deg in waterford.Right nothing to see here move along ,come back midday tomorrow,move along i say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Belting snow in Dublin

Whereabouts? I'm in UCD atm and see nawthing.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Thats because it's not snowing in Dublin.....yet

Ya think, at this stage i am thinking they're 12 hours behind the latest, there 6pm forecast certainly wont have 12z ECM data and i question if the 9pm will.

Agree about the 6pm forecast but surely by 9pm they won't be using the 0Z, especially if there is a major change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Snowing here now!! Wettish but nice to see!

At work at the moment in East Mayo.

Edit: Stopped again!! :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭guideanna

Belting snow in Dublin

yea where abouts i'm in sandyford and nothing here either

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

davidsr20 wrote: »
    I think someone should change the heading to snow not approaching!

Why would we do that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

Wind has just picked up and sky has got dark.

A few drops of rain, nothing major.

Parkmore, Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Vudgie wrote: »
    Thats because it's not snowing in Dublin.....yet

Proof

http://tiny.cc/ezz4m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Not on cams either

• Registered Users Posts: 36,348 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Belting snow in Dublin

Which part are you in? I'm seeing nothing down in Cherrywood. Though the winds have freshened up the last couple of hours and it feels a fair bit colder out.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

baraca wrote: »
    Why would we do that now.

What's up? What's the panic? Is the snow called off? Cancelled? What's going on?

What Does MT Cranium say?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IRCA

Sleet in Ballina Co. Mayo ... a few flakes of the real stuff

• Advertisement

Met Eireann don't use the most commonly looked at and talked about model on here, the GFS. They use ECMWF and HIRLAM models.

The main models are showing slighlty different outcomes and are changing a lot from run to run, thats why there is such a mixture of opinions.

Usually there is fairly good agreement on the models within 96 hours, but this is not the case at the moment.
    Hirlam by the way is now a sort of higher res ecm.
    ECMWF control the model

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement