Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭96blsh

Nothing out in palmerston at the moment, sun shinning and blue skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

Snow has stopped in Stillorgan.....for now...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Think the winds may have shifted too far east for that shower for here tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Light flakes here now. I have a view of the broadmeadow estuary. Looks spectacular with snow crossing it (esspecially when it is headed my direction).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

From M.T.'s forcast this morning:

Some chance of locally heavy snow streamers in the Dublin, Meath and north Wicklow coastal regions, although not starting until mid-morning or mid-day. Watch for updates.

Right on the money Sir! :D

• Advertisement

Think the winds may have shifted too far east for that shower for here tbh.

Heavy snow imminet - estuary completely white.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    you mean if Cork got snow??? I haven't although I think I might as you did get over the 2 cm's I predicted but just about...hope you enjoyed it though.

Apologies, you're quite right. It was Cork you said, not Dublin :o

Lots of fun :D

I'm currently back in West Limerick and the snow that fell Friday is still here. Sun is shining but only having minimal impact :D

Oh, what I wouldn't give for more snow everywhere...:cool: Looking forward to the next event when ever it may be :)

Can anyone say whether these showers will move into West Dublin at anytime today or are they are destined to fizzle out?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

darkman2 wrote: »
    Light flakes here now. I have a view of the broadmeadow estuary. Looks spectacular with snow crossing it (esspecially when it is headed my direction).
    please god! we got a dusting at half 9 last night but seemed to have missed alot of the action with streamers going either side

Heavy snow imminet - estuary completely white.;)

Nah, latet radar shows what i feared, moving too far north for me, gonna brush me inland.

Ah well!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Jake1 wrote: »
    Can anyone say whether these showers will move into West Dublin at anytime today or are they are destined to fizzle out?

Thanks.

Think they're scheduled for 3.38pm if South Dublin don't take any more than they're been allocated ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

nothing here,sun shine,had a light shower about an hour ago
    unless these showers beef up it looks like its going to be very localised with DM2 hogging it all :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

dacogawa wrote: »
    From M.T.'s forcast this morning:

Some chance of locally heavy snow streamers in the Dublin, Meath and north Wicklow coastal regions, although not starting until mid-morning or mid-day. Watch for updates.

Right on the money Sir! :D

it was kind of visable all night that it was goin to happen... jus the winds were so slack it really took its time before hitting the coast...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

paulocon wrote: »
    Hi there, I see you are in Louth too..

Probably a stupid question but what factors cause the showers to hit North Dublin and not further North for example? Always intrigued as to how you guys can call pretty specific areas getting hit. I assume it's down to the wind direction but I would have thought an Easterly wind would expose the whole East coast to some risk. I have a very basic knowledge as regards the colder air coming across the warmer Irish sea and 'picking up' precipataion before depositing it on the leeward shores.

Any good places to read about these effects by the way?

It's very short range stuff, based on where the satellite imagery shows shower formation and the exact prevailing wind or any changes in its direction. Then looking at models like the ones from here (http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&CONT=euro&MODELL=gfs&VAR=prec) for short term movements.
    Comparing the current model run and the previous one for differences.

What's useful in predicing wind movements for e.g. this afternoon is to look at the "850 hPa wind" or "700 hPa wind" charts for 6, 9 or 12 hours out. The clouds are at a higher altitude naturally so you need wind directions for where the clouds actually are. As for shower development, wind speed, a pressure below 1010 hPa, particularly colder upper altitude temperatures like -9 or less at 850hPa, and evidence of shower circulation on satellite or radar.

There are other parameters too, particularly with dealing with shower development and convection, but I wouldn't be so confident in explaining those. I can't think of any websites beyond what google would reveal. Try google for terms you read about here.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

Can we replace Met with M.T now? Why isn't this guy getting tax payer money?!

Nah, latet radar shows what i feared, moving too far north for me, gonna brush me inland.

Ah well!:rolleyes:

Amazing to look at here - sun and heavy snow. Spectacular when you up. Everything very white now.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

Cloud cover generally still building over the irish sea especially between IOM and north leinster

http://www.sat24.com/gb

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

It's amazing how huge blobs miss the south but the smallest one always hit the east coast:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Amazing to look at here - sun and heavy snow. Spectacular when you up. Everything very white now.

Darman, where are you? What location?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Snow stopping now. Very heavy fall earlier with rumbles of thunder every now and again. About 2-3 inches where I am (East Dalkey). For once being on the coast isn't a curse :) Lets hope those showers off the coast beef up;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

dave1982 wrote: »
    It's amazing how huge blobs miss the south but the smallest one always hit the east coast:rolleyes:

yeah its sum balls alright :mad:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Snowing here for the last hour - still snowing now but sunny as well!

0.3c atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 percy100

In swords .... Ive never seen snow falling from blue skies like this before:confused:

Coming down thick and fast near Malahide. Big flakes. 2cm's now I estimate.

Yea lovely white cloudscape to the northeast visible here.

Still sliding disappointingly to the north but i notice it is backing up slightly to the northeast too.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭dap75au

light dusting starting in Bray again.....Very light

Really heavy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Coming down thick and fast near Malahide. Big flakes. 2cm's now I estimate.
    Yes!! Are you on the swords side of malahide or the portmarnock side?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

Jake1 wrote: »

Thanks.

:( thinking we might be in the shadow again :(:(:(

• Advertisement

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Yes!! Are you on the swords side of malahide or the portmarnock side?

Swords side.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement